Working out the "smoking thing"

scm1848

How sweet it is! BOTH a smoking and a dress code thread back on the HAL front page. Another chance for those who cannot stand the fact that other people think differently from them, to hammer the offenders without mercy.

Enjoy!:D

.......you've said it all.

HAL has decided to limit smoking to certain areas of the ship and one of these is to balconies. So a passenger who follows the rules and smokes on their balcony is a horse's rear end if he or she simply refuses to work with a neighbour who refuses to accept HAL's smoking rules?

Use to be that a reasonable person was one who accepted and followed the rules and not one who demands that the rules not apply to them.

Gotta love that logic :eek:

To stay out smoking 24/7 and give your neighbor no time to use their verandah, yes. That is being a horse's rear end.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL has decided to limit smoking to certain areas of the ship and one of these is to balconies. So a passenger who follows the rules and smokes on their balcony is a horse's rear end if he or she simply refuses to work with a neighbour who refuses to accept HAL's smoking rules?

Use to be that a reasonable person was one who accepted and followed the rules and not one who demands that the rules not apply to them.

Gotta love that logic :eek:

Nice attitude. As long as you can keep your smoke on your balcony and it does not stray into anyone else's space - no problem, smoke 24/7 if that's what you want.

you guys crack me up :D

I am allergic to smoke (asthma and severe sinus, lung problems) so I sure *hope* that the balcony next to ours doesn't have non-stop smokers...but if it does then I guess my options are to mention my allergy to them so maybe we can co-ordinate taking turns or just lock my balcony door and pretend that I have an o/v and never use it.

Life is too short to take it too serious! YOLO

I've never smoked and my adult kids haven't either--they knew they would die from smoking as their mother would strangle them to death as they both watched their grandmother die from the health consequences of smoking.

I, too, watched my grandmother die from complications related to her smoking (before they knew it was bad for you). I'm 31 and have never smoked or done drugs because of it. I've seen addiction (alchohol) first hand, know it's a trait in our family to have addictive personalities, and would never take the risk. Good job raising kids who never smoked or tried drugs. I hope to do the same for my girls.

HAL smoking policy allows smoking on the balcony. I cruise with my Mother <<She smokes. :( We get a state room with a balcony just for that reason. So she can smoke anytime she wants. We always hang around the Aft part of the ship near sea view bar. There she can smoke.

I find it to be very restricting. LOL If we went anywhere it could only be for short periods at a time before my mom would say. (Im going for a smoke)

When we fly/travel she wears nicotine patches to get through the long day/evening. She hates the airports only because again (you can't smoke anywhere in there) When you are catching the next flight there is no time for her to (go for a smoke)

We rarely eat in the MDR <<you know why? LOL It takes too long and my Mother gets fidgety by the second course LOL

I put up with her addiction. :D I not going to say it does not bother me because it does.

I used to smoke too. 12 years ago. I quit :D I understand what this addiction is like and its a hard habit to break.

I can't imagine being tethered to anything like that. It so completely dictates her life. That's really sad.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Nice attitude. As long as you can keep your smoke on your balcony and it does not stray into anyone else's space - no problem' date=' smoke 24/7 if that's what you want.[/quote']

Hi Marco's Tia,

Just so I understand, are you suggesting that, despite HAL's policy, I shouldn't smoke on my balcony?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Hi Marco's Tia,

Just so I understand, are you suggesting that, despite HAL's policy, I shouldn't smoke on my balcony?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Not at all! I was responding to a previous post - but my point was you can smoke on your balcony all you like, just keep the smoke there and don't share it with the other balconies.;)

you guys crack me up :D

I am allergic to smoke (asthma and severe sinus, lung problems) so I sure *hope* that the balcony next to ours doesn't have non-stop smokers...but if it does then I guess my options are to mention my allergy to them so maybe we can co-ordinate taking turns or just lock my balcony door and pretend that I have an o/v and never use it.

Life is too short to take it too serious! YOLO

Let us know how that works for you.

Your original post was interesting but alas totally impractical.

This post is just as rude as the ones you are complaining about. Just because some of people posted what you felt were negative responses to you, you had to go on a rant about "fat people"? :eek:

.....at least they didn't include perfume wearers in there. That will be next.

I live on the ocean. Today, I was taking my kayak out and passed by the public beach while heading to a small marshy area. As I rounded the jetty to go into the marsh I smelled CIGAR smoke! I looked over and there was a man in his truck in the parking lot smoking a cigar with the window open. While I really hate the smell, I guess I just figured it was his right to smoke there, since they have banned smoking on the beaches.

So really folks, lets try and be grateful we have the ability to go cruising and try and let others enjoy the experience as well. I am pretty certain that those people who smoke recognize it is not good for them, BUT they are following the rules, so let's try and be a bit more tolerant.

We always book balconies and the only time I was bothered by smoke was in port from a cigar smoker next door, and I just figured it was his righto smoke there. His cigar smoke never bothered me while at sea.

I live on the ocean. Today, I was taking my kayak out and passed by the public beach while heading to a small marshy area. As I rounded the jetty to go into the marsh I smelled CIGAR smoke! I looked over and there was a man in his truck in the parking lot smoking a cigar with the window open. While I really hate the smell, I guess I just figured it was his right to smoke there, since they have banned smoking on the beaches.

So really folks, lets try and be grateful we have the ability to go cruising and try and let others enjoy the experience as well. I am pretty certain that those people who smoke recognize it is not good for them, BUT they are following the rules, so let's try and be a bit more tolerant.

We always book balconies and the only time I was bothered by smoke was in port from a cigar smoker next door, and I just figured it was his righto smoke there. His cigar smoke never bothered me while at sea.

It goes both ways. Saying you hate fat people isn't likely to win people over. If people didn't complain about smoking there would still be smoking in the workplace, theatres etc. When my health is involved it's a bit tough to be tolerant. That said, smoking is allowed on balconies for now.

It goes both ways. Saying you hate fat people isn't likely to win people over. If people didn't complain about smoking there would still be smoking in the workplace, theatres etc. When my health is involved it's a bit tough to be tolerant. That said, smoking is allowed on balconies for now.

Huh? I don't think I said anything about "Fat people"?????????? If your health is impaired maybe it would be better to book an ocean view? Not trying to be a smart _*)(&, but not sure why you brought fat people into this. Just saying lets just all enjoy the fact that we are healthy enough and wealthy enough to cruise and to try and think of others.... just a bit?

Huh? I don't think I said anything about "Fat people"?????????? If your health is impaired maybe it would be better to book an ocean view? Not trying to be a smart _*)(&, but not sure why you brought fat people into this. Just saying lets just all enjoy the fact that we are healthy enough and wealthy enough to cruise and to try and think of others.... just a bit?

It wasn't me that brought up hating fat people. The OP thought that was important to bring up. See post 40. They said the hate fat people and people with tattoos. Perhaps reading the thread before replying would be helpful. I never said you said that so why get so upset?

Edited by cruz chic

WOW, I am not upset, and I did read the whole thread. I just didn't know how you could lump me in to hating fat people as well. Sorry this is all so hard for you. JMHO, I am grateful to be able to cruise and guess it is just easier for me to be more tolerant of others.....

Hope your cruise is stress free.

WOW, I am not upset, and I did read the whole thread. I just didn't know how you could lump me in to hating fat people as well. Sorry this is all so hard for you. JMHO, I am grateful to be able to cruise and guess it is just easier for me to be more tolerant of others.....

Hope your cruise is stress free.

Ok i tried to explain this but clearly I've failed. Again, i did not say that you hated fat people. That was the op. You said people should be tolerant. I am saying the op is not being tolerant. I hope this clears this up for you.

I couldn't agree more. Well said.

This is a topic, that has been discussed all the time. Bottom line everyone is going by the rule's. If you don't like smoke, don't book Hal. If you smoke, that's the reason you Booked Hal. It is that simple. No disrespect meant to anyone.

Edited by TX GENT

This is a topic, that has been discussed all the time. Bottom line everyone is going by the rule's. If you don't like smoke, don't book Hal. If you smoke, that's the reason you Booked Hal. It is that simple. No disrespect meant to anyone.

I couldn't have said it better...if you are displeased with the policy then either write to HAL to express your feelings, or book other lines such as Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean who do not permit smoking on the balcony. Period! ;)

Likewise, smokers could stay at home or book an all inclusives. It's not a very good solution for either smokers or non smokers. I'm sure smokers book Hal for others reasons then being able to smoke.. Don't kid yourself, I mention it on every survey. I've also written Hal to express my dislike of their policy only to be quoted the policy. Hal does allow smoking right now and smokers are allowed to smoke. I just wish once the smokers would not tell non smokers to leave. Lets say all the non smokers did leave. How is hal going to fill the ship or could they just charge smokers double or triple to make up the shortfall?

Edited by cruz chic

I couldn't have said it better...if you are displeased with the policy then either write to HAL to express your feelings, or book other lines such as Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean who do not permit smoking on the balcony. Period! ;)

I wasn't going to get into this, but this is why I think HAL allows smoking. HAL is known as a line for old people. I don't agree---my first HAL cruise was when we were 47. I think they might not have the numbers if they didn't allow smokers.

We have our first HAL balcony in July. If we have smokers on either side, we'll just have to suck it up. We booked it knowing it could happen. I am not going to confront the smokers and ruin my cruise.

I wanted to share a funny. A friend had smokers next to them on the balcony. Used a battery fan to blow the smoke back over to their side. They complained that they didn't want to smell the smoke. Friend did it twice and the smokers went elsewhere since they didn't want to smell their smoke.

I wasn't going to get into this, but this is why I think HAL allows smoking. HAL is known as a line for old people. I don't agree---my first HAL cruise was when we were 47. I think they might not have the numbers if they didn't allow smokers.

We have our first HAL balcony in July. If we have smokers on either side, we'll just have to suck it up. We booked it knowing it could happen. I am not going to confront the smokers and ruin my cruise.

We had a balcony on the Eurodam last November and didn't smell smoke on the balcony during the entire. cruise. Maybe just good fortune or less smokers! I wish you good luck and enjoy your balcony!

I wanted to share a funny. A friend had smokers next to them on the balcony. Used a battery fan to blow the smoke back over to their side. They complained that they didn't want to smell the smoke. Friend did it twice and the smokers went elsewhere since they didn't want to smell their smoke.

hilarious!! now that's fighting fire with fire!

Edited by akacake

I'm not sure I believe this. Smokers can't smell smoke and are used to the smoke blowing around them, especially as we now congregate in smoking area. Take what your friend said with a large pinch of salt:cool:

Edited by chrispb

Love it! I should add a battery fan to my packing list.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums