Working out the "smoking thing"

scm1848

OK, I don't mean to start another smoking, flame-throwing thread. I just have a proposal to make.

As smokers, we always book a room on port side, since the Seaview Bar is on the starboard side. That way, we have the option of viewing the best scenery, either from our balcony or on the Lido deck aft and starboard. Perhaps if non-smokers did the reverse, i.e., booking a starboard cabin, then going to the Lido deck when the scenery is better on the port side, we could all help mitigate the smoking issues. We also book as far back on the ship as we can. Non-smokers could book more forward.

I know no one will ever be happy with every situation. This is just my little peace offering to the world of smokers and non-smokers. Hope it helps.

How do you propose to publicize this plan to the 95% of the passengers that don't belong to Cruise Critic? And more importantly, how do you get them to go along?

Edited by jtl513

You think non-smokers should book starboard cabins? Won't work for me' date=' I like the port side.[/quote']

That plan doesn't work for me either.

We prefer the port side.

Me, too.

When less than 20% of the adult population of Canada and U.S. are non-smokers, how can having smokers on one side and non-smokers on the other ever work? This is not the first or even the twentieth time this proposal has been made through the years on this forum but I think it great you are trying.

Me, too.

When less than 20% of the adult population of Canada and U.S. are non-smokers, how can having smokers on one side and non-smokers on the other ever work? This is not the first or even the twentieth time this proposal has been made through the years on this forum but I think it great you are trying.

I think you meant <20% smoke. :)

As smokers, we always book a room on port side, since the Seaview Bar is on the starboard side. That way, we have the option of viewing the best scenery, either from our balcony or on the Lido deck aft and starboard. Perhaps if non-smokers did the reverse, i.e., booking a starboard cabin, then going to the Lido deck when the scenery is better on the port side, we could all help mitigate the smoking issues. We also book as far back on the ship as we can. Non-smokers could book more forward.

So smokers would be required to always get a balcony then?

I think you meant <20% smoke. :)

Yes. :o

Thanks for noticing I misspoke.. :)

No need to chuck the smokers overboard ... just their cigarettes :D

Yes, here also. :) Just the cigarettes/cigars to be chucked. LOL ...

Edited by sail7seas

I know this problem will eventually work itself out as all the old smokers die off, but some of us can't wait that long.:D I smoked for 20 years (2 packs a day:eek:) and realize how hard it is. This was one of the main reasons, besides my health, that I quit. It was becoming such a pain to find any place to light up. I have 2 family members dead because of it, and 2 40+ years of smoking sisters who quit. I prefer the way my sisters who are still alive did compared to the ones who quit by dying. Come on people time to give it up:(

Personally, I think some people need to get over it already.

I'm a former 25 year smoker. I quit about four years ago. I don't particularly enjoy smelling it now, but I also am not going to do that fake cough and waving my hands frantically if I smell it.

What really bothers me, more than a whiff of cigarette smoke, is diesel fumes. Then there are the ladies who apply excessive amounts of perfume-causes my throat to close right up. Can we please limit them to only one side of the ship?

Many people are simply voting with their feet.....trying other cruise lines with a more contemporary view on the issue.

It will become a growing issue for HAL and I have no doubt that when it is to their financial advantage they will adapt a more enlightened approach to this.

Edited by iancal

Many people are simply voting with their feet.....trying other cruise lines with a more contemporary view on the issue.

It will become a growing issue for HAL and I have no doubt that when it is to their financial advantage they will adapt a more enlightened approach to this.

I don't think it a stretch to think HAL watches the smoking numbers very carefully. They know how many cabins have a smoker in them; they know how much they are spending; they know how big a family/group of cruisers they often travel with; they know just about all the info they want to determine when it will be time to pull the plug on verandah smoking. Everything on every cruise ship boils down to $$. :)

I know this problem will eventually work itself out as all the old smokers die off,

I don't know if that's true. From the CDC web site:

Thousands of young people start smoking cigarettes every day1

Each day, more than 3,200 persons younger than 18 years of age smoke their first cigarette.

Each day, an estimated 2,100 youth and young adults who have been occasional smokers become daily cigarette smokers.

It is a money issue.

But there will be a point in time when being know as the 'smokers cruise line" will hurt their business in the longer term-well after they have adopted a more enlightened policy.

My children are grown up. But if they were young, why on earth would I choose to bring my children on a cruise line with this type of a smoking policy when there are other, equally good cruise lines, who have a policy that reflects the message that I want my children to have? The bottom line is I would not. And I have no doubt that some TA's are making this clear to their clients and their potential clients.

Edited by iancal

I don't know if that's true. From the CDC web site:

Thousands of young people start smoking cigarettes every day1

Each day, more than 3,200 persons younger than 18 years of age smoke their first cigarette.

Each day, an estimated 2,100 youth and young adults who have been occasional smokers become daily cigarette smokers.

This is SO sad to read.

How is it possible so many young people can be this stupid?

This is SO sad to read.

How is it possible so many young people can be this stupid?

It sounds like a lot of new daily smokers, but when compared to the U.S. population (320 million) it's only .0024 percent. Still too many, I know.