Driver License

drolltroll

Guess what cruisers....We leave Sunday and my daughter just advised her drivers license is dead by 8 days!!!!!!! Any ideas or input would be helpful? She is 21 and I can't believe she has allowed this to happen. Does anyone know if you can get a gov issued ID at like a Post Office other than the passport. We will be going through Atlanta tomorrow (Saturday) Has anyone been denied that you know of first hand with an expired license? Was anyone allowed boarding that you know of with an expired license?

Thanks,

Guess what cruisers....We leave Sunday and my daughter just advised her drivers license is dead by 8 days!!!!!!! Any ideas or input would be helpful? She is 21 and I can't believe she has allowed this to happen. Does anyone know if you can get a gov issued ID at like a Post Office other than the passport. We will be going through Atlanta tomorrow (Saturday) Has anyone been denied that you know of first hand with an expired license? Was anyone allowed boarding that you know of with an expired license?

Thanks,

from what has been posted here in the past you need a valid photo ID and others have posted before that an expired drivers license is not valid.

I wish you luck.:)

Bill

Does she have ANY other government ID? If not, call Carnival now! She can't get it renewed tomorrrow?

No, tomorrow is Saturday. I called Carnival and the best answer I got was it would depend on what kind of mood the particular agent was in that looked at her ID. I looked on the TSA website and I found where it said Gov issued ID and the word unexpired/expired or valid was never used. Maybe that is implied I guess!

The dmv office is open on Saturdays. Check online for hours. Since you said your going thru atlanta I'm assuming you live in Georgia? I checked my county dmv (newton) and it's open 8-12

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Your local DMV is not open on a Saturday? Can she renew online? My local DMV is open on Saturdays...but we can also renew our license online and then print out a receipt that's a Temporary license to carry with our license until the new one is mailed to us. Is that an option in the state your daughter is licensed? Since the 9/11 attack...the one thing our DMV will not do in person now is to issue a license upon walking in and renewing. They issue a temporary paper license to carry with our current license and then will mail the new/renewed license to us from the Richmond, VA DMV. That's at least how it works in Virginia to prevent fraudulent licenses being issued.

Edited by Tacosha

This too happened to me before a last minute trip and I browsed everywhere i could to find an answer..and yes I was able to fly from Atlanta to Dallas and back with an expired driving permit/license..i found that you should also bring like a backup like birth certificate, SSN etc just incase.. my I.D was expired for 2 months and no one winced I however smiled to the agents said hello, thank yous so they wouldn't be in a bad mood and pick on me

good luck!

This too happened to me before a last minute trip and I browsed everywhere i could to find an answer..and yes I was able to fly from Atlanta to Dallas and back with an expired driving permit/license..i found that you should also bring like a backup like birth certificate, SSN etc just incase.. my I.D was expired for 2 months and no one winced I however smiled to the agents said hello, thank yous so they wouldn't be in a bad mood and pick on me

good luck!

You flew, but, did you CRUISE on an expired license?

If all else fails play stupid. Chances are they will not even look at the date. They are just interested in the name and the picture. If they call her on it the response should be "what? on no I took the wrong one" If that doesn't work they cry. Finally ask for a supervisor and cry a lot!

If all else fails play stupid. Chances are they will not even look at the date. They are just interested in the name and the picture. If they call her on it the response should be "what? on no I took the wrong one" If that doesn't work they cry. Finally ask for a supervisor and cry a lot!

If she doesn't have a college or school ID then I would go with the above......play dumb and hope for the best!

Are passport offices open on Sat? If she has a current college ID, that will work.

If you take her, know there is a chance she will be denied and have a backup plan.

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.

Edited by loxley

Are passport offices open on Sat? If she has a current college ID, that will work.

If you take her, know there is a chance she will be denied and have a backup plan.

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.

The Atlanta passport office isn't open on Saturdays, so a passport is out.

A college ID will do you no good or at least it shouldn't be any good. It's not an official identity document for the purposes of international travel.

Your DMV (Atlanta) also appears to mail identity documents--so that appears to be a no-go too.

Unfortunately, it looks like your only option is to attempt to use the expired license. I'd have a back-up plan in case she isn't allowed to sail (i.e. will you still sail or does she have somewhere to stay for the duration of the cruise?).

The Atlanta passport office isn't open on Saturdays, so a passport is out.

A college ID will do you no good or at least it shouldn't be any good. It's not an official identity document for the purposes of international travel.

Your DMV (Atlanta) also appears to mail identity documents--so that appears to be a no-go too.

Unfortunately, it looks like your only option is to attempt to use the expired license. I'd have a back-up plan in case she isn't allowed to sail (i.e. will you still sail or does she have somewhere to stay for the duration of the cruise?).

A college ID will work as long as it is current.

A college ID will work as long as it is current.

Not according to Carnival:

Photo Identification

In addition to proof of citizenship, a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License

• Driver’s Permit

• School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

• Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Your local DMV is not open on a Saturday? Can she renew online? My local DMV is open on Saturdays...but we can also renew our license online and then print out a receipt that's a Temporary license to carry with our license until the new one is mailed to us. Is that an option in the state your daughter is licensed? Since the 9/11 attack...the one thing our DMV will not do in person now is to issue a license upon walking in and renewing. They issue a temporary paper license to carry with our current license and then will mail the new/renewed license to us from the Richmond, VA DMV. That's at least how it works in Virginia to prevent fraudulent licenses being issued.

Very good advice.

Not open on Saturdays. We are in NC and I do not think we can renew online but I will look.

Just looked...unfortunately NC doesn't offer online renewal. Fingers crossed that it all works out for you and your daughter.