Caribbean Late October

loliola

Just booked the 5 day Western Caribbean Getaway next October 24th on the Emerald. Wondering about other cruisers' experiences sailing in late October. I know hurricane season is June 1 through Nov 30th but it seems like late October

might be a fair bet for weather. What's your experience been like?

You could be fine, then again most years September tends to be the peak for hurricanes and they still form in October. We have been impacted by hurricanes as far north as the Bay of St. Lawrence in late October (ok, at that location it is extra-tropical but it still packed quite a wallop, missed a port, seas were very, very heavy, lots of passengers were very ill, we were fine) and then there was the October repo impacted by tropical storm Sandy. We never sail without cruise insurance - hope you did purchase the insurance for this cruise.

There is no point in worrying about it, just be prepared to make lemonade out of lemons if necessary!

September and October have been our FAVORITE times to sail! The water is warm for swimming. So far we have never encountered a change of itinerary due to hurricanes but we keep it in mind that it could happen. No worries, we know the ship will just sail somewhere else if that happens. We always take out insurance for our trips, just in case and fly in a day early.

Lately we have been going at different times to the Caribbean but DH and both agree we want to get our trips back in line to the fall.

We usually do early Nov. Prices are cheaper and chances of hurricanes are fairly low. Granted I've only taken 5 cruises so far, but so far so good! Weather is pretty warm, and humid! In fact I wouldn't want to go any earlier, it will be too hot for me.

I know hurricane season is June 1 through Nov 30th but it seems like late October might be a fair bet for weather. What's your experience been like?

Victims of Hurricane Sandy would likely disagree.

We disembarked the Ruby TA at Port Everglades on October 28, 2012, after a very rough night sailing up the coast from Cuba the night before. That, combined with the disembarkation from hell, flight delays at FLL and getting out of PHL just before the airport closed, made for a harrowing experience.

Lew

While this probably won't apply to you, maybe others on similar sailings of late October might get something. We were on the Sun Princess in the Caribbean which covered Halloween. What fun! Huge deck party that night and lots of hilarious costumes and creative foods offerings. One group of guys were dressed as Dalmatians, complete with their own version of Cruella d'Vill(sp?), so funny. And the few children aboard were taken around for a trick or treat. As for the weather, cannot comment. Have only been on one affected by a hurricane, Irene, 2011, on the Veendam Bermuda cruise. But that's another long, sad story. :rolleyes:

I"m wondering the same thing - We're looking at the Emerald Princess mid or late Oct (haven't booked yet... same cruise OP is looking at, only THIS year...)

We COULD push it until Nov. just don't want to get to close to Thanksgiving...vacations are supposed to DE-stress you...not increase it! haha!

My DH was also concerned that the water temps would be too cold to enjoy...does anyone have comments about that?? :)

Edited by rgmacm

I"m wondering the same thing - We're looking at the Emerald Princess mid or late Oct (haven't booked yet... same cruise OP is looking at, only THIS year...)

We COULD push it until Nov. just don't want to get to close to Thanksgiving...vacations are supposed to DE-stress you...not increase it! haha!

My DH was also concerned that the water temps would be too cold to enjoy...does anyone have comments about that?? :)

We have cruise at this time of the year at least 20 times.

Almost always over Halloween.

Only 1 time that I remember that we were diverted because of a TS. We missed San Juan and instead went to the DR.

I would not worry, Princess will avoid any problem areas.

As a Floridian who lives pretty close to FLL cruise port, we never worry about weather. We cruise locally whenever the mood hits and/or any time we're not cruising out of the country. Don't worry needlessly and just book your cruise. The last time I recall an October hurricane was in 2005 and before that; don't even recall any real ones at that time of year.

I also live in Florida and remember several late season storms.

Every year is different and history does not provide any help in predicting for this season.

Just be sure to obtain insurance. No one can say whether or not there would be a storm but if there is, ships will stay clear.

The Cape Verde season ends around October (storms coming off of Africa)and then storms generally form in the western Caribbean and Bay of Campeche. Who knows?

We tend not to book in advance as living where we do, we need to be home in the event of a storm.

I also have a home in New Jersey. We were slammed by Sandy and in previous years by noreasters-so there is no perfect place or time. Florida was fine.

Enjoy whatever you plan!!

We have disembarked twice on October 31st and the water was VERY nice. I like it warm and it was always perfect.