Advice on different Fort Lauderdale cruises that arrive and depart the same day

We will be travelling from Australia for our first visit to Florida and the Caribbean and have booked two cruises - an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Oasis on February 7 and a Panama Canal cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles on the Island Princess on February 19.

We're considering booking a 5 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Liberty of the Seas on February 14, which would depart the day we arrive back in Fort Lauderdale on the Oasis. That cruise then arrives back in FL on February 19, the day the Island Princess cruise sails at 4pm.

I've read some recent reviews of some long delays disembarking the Liberty of the Seas in FL after that 5 day cruise. I wouldn't expect that delays would be so bad that we wouldn't be able to check in for the Princess cruise before the 3pm deadline, assuming that the ship arrives back in port on time, but I'm interested in opinions on whether you think it possibly risky to book cruises that depart the same day we arrive from another ship at the same port.

Would the pier that Princess use at Fort Lauderdale be very far from the ones that Royal Caribbean use? Would they be walking distance?

Thanks for any advice that you can offer.

I don't believe the piers would be walking distance, plus the port is sort of industrial, and not conducive to walking. I've read about a terminal shuttle, but don't know details. Worst case is you hire a taxi.

I don't think it would be much of a risk to book a cruise that leaves on the same day you arrive on Liberty.

Edited by clarea

I couldn't possibly envision a scenario, barring some major delay in the ships arrival into port, where you couldn't make it from one ship to another. They pretty much want you off the ship by 10-ish and if it even takes 2 hours to get bags and clear immigration (assuming you're not detained...), you still have plenty of time to get to the next ship.

As mentioned, I doubt you'd be able to walk, a taxi is probably fine, I'd guess it'll cost maybe $10-15 max.

But I hope your first trip to Florida isn't just to see Port Everglades and you have more time for sightseeing built in before your Oasis cruise!!! :)

Edited by gordiej

The FLL terminals are spread out a bit and not really walkable but they are a short taxi ride away. As to you being able to get from ship to ship in time it should not be an issue in my opinion. Getting processed through customs has been slow on Liberty but not to the point where you would still have plenty of time to take the short ride over to Princess.

My daughter and I just did this. We moved from the Independence to the Liberty in January. You can always do self-debarkation if you want to have a little bit extra time between ships. I am not sure about a shuttle, as we went back to our car to drop off some things and pick up clean clothes.

What months do the fog issues affect this port?

I don't think Port Everglades has fog issues...at least not enough to delay arrival...the Port of Tampa on the west coast has had fog delays...

You are absolutely correct about the terrible debarkation from Liberty. While Oasis moves easily, that's not so for Liberty at a smaller terminal with less customs agents.

That said, you should be fine! Enjoy!

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Our original plans were to fly into Orlando for a few days before travelling down to Fort Lauderdale for the Oasis cruise on February 7. We then had a few days to fill in between the 14th and 19th when we board the Princess Panama Canal cruise so were considering the 5 day Liberty cruise.

We'll be flying from Sydney to LA and staying a few days with relatives before flying East for our cruises. We've now decided that instead of flying to Orlando we'll fly to Fort Lauderdale and do a B2B on the Allure, in the same cabin for both cruises, on February 1 and 8 so we'll then have 4 nights at Fort Lauderdale from the 15th before joining the Princess cruise on the 19th. We figured that it would be easier to have 2 weeks on the Allure and this will save packing up after the Oasis cruise and joining the Liberty the same day, and then doing the same after the Liberty cruise to get on the Princess cruise. This will give us more time to see as much as possible on the Allure and also give us a few days on land between the cruises.

We have visited Disneyland and Universal in LA when our kids were younger and the main thing at Orlando I was interested in seeing was the Kennedy Space Center. I see that I can get a day trip to the Space Center from Fort Lauderdale but it's a very long day but I will still consider doing it during the time we're in Fort Lauderdale. While in FL we'll probably also see the Everglades and also a day tour to Miami.

I think you have a good itinerary planned. Seeing Cape Canaveral and the Everglades will give you a truly "American" experience both historically and from an ecosystem, natural history point of view. Coming from so far, it's what I would recommend. It's easy to come to Florida and experience only man made areas, but central southern FL has an amazing ecosystem and is well worth touring to say you saw "real" Florida. That said, PC is a long way from FLL, you don't mention how you plan to tour? Rental car, organized tour outfit? It would be best to see PC while you are still in Orlando.

Enjoy your visit the US, and your Allure cruise!