Ulu factory- worth the stop?

marysb

We will be in anchorage this summer after our cruise. I see it is an attraction and on the tour stops. Is it interesting and worth a look? We already have 2 ulus we use all the time.

Thanks,

Mary

The place is a store where they sell the same ulus that you can get anywhere else. It is hardly what I would call a tourist attraction.

Since you already have 2 of them, why bother to go to the store.

DON

Sounds like Don has never been there. If you like ulus, it's pretty cool to see hundreds of different types, from traditional (with the blades made from old saw blades) to "tourist" cheapies. You can see them being assembled, which is pretty basic, but they sometimes have the blades being formed as well. from there, there's a free shuttle/tour bus up the hill to the main tourist strip, 4th Avenue.

If you want to buy the REAL thing............it's a good place to do so.

The less expensive ones (that they have in the coupon books) are made in China...............who wants to go to Alaska and buy a fake made in China?

If you want Alaska souvenirs, be sure to watch for the little Polar Bear symbol on the packaging.............support Alaska...................the state has only a limited number of months to make money from us. Just my opinion.....(I go pretty much every year). ;) My best year was when we spent from June 18 until August 8th up there in our motorhome.............used the Marine System on the way up and then drove the whole way back................well, I didn't drive an inch; my husband did all the driving!

Sounds like Don has never been there. If you like ulus, it's pretty cool to see hundreds of different types, from traditional (with the blades made from old saw blades) to "tourist" cheapies. You can see them being assembled, which is pretty basic, but they sometimes have the blades being formed as well. from there, there's a free shuttle/tour bus up the hill to the main tourist strip, 4th Avenue.

I have been there and I stand by my statement. I also know the difference between the Chinese and a real hand made knife made by a native.

My knives were native made and I met the gentleman that made them.

DON

I have been there and I stand by my statement. I also know the difference between the Chinese and a real hand made knife made by a native.

My knives were native made and I met the gentleman that made them.

DON

That your opinion is your's, other people may have a different opinion and they are should be allowed to express it also. Each person who reads this thread will make up their own mind as to whether or not they will visit the location.

Me, myself, I have already done a lot of research and have decided to go to the "store". Want to purchase several and would much rather get it from the factory (that is there for the Alaskan economy) rather than purchase the ULU from a souvenir store at one of the ports that is open for the summer season only. Plus - the "store" will mail them home for us and that way we won't have to deal with the paranoia of the airport TSA.

Have a nice day. :)

Okie

Thanks for that perspective Okie. I did not know that they would mail them home for us. It just so happens we will be there next Thursday and I plan to get two. From what I read, looks like the free shuttle does not begin until June 1. Am I right?

That your opinion is your's, other people may have a different opinion and they are should be allowed to express it also. Each person who reads this thread will make up their own mind as to whether or not they will visit the location.

Me, myself, I have already done a lot of research and have decided to go to the "store". Want to purchase several and would much rather get it from the factory (that is there for the Alaskan economy) rather than purchase the ULU from a souvenir store at one of the ports that is open for the summer season only. Plus - the "store" will mail them home for us and that way we won't have to deal with the paranoia of the airport TSA.

Have a nice day. :)

Okie

I totally agree with you on the "buy Alaska" aspect of your answer. Although the "store" knives are not made by natve craftsmen one at a time on order, at least they are made by Alaskans in Alaska.

We agree on that point.

DON.

Thanks, good to know that it is just a store.

you might want to check various excursions/tours on tripadvisor.com.

Some of the comments are staged, but if you read enough reviews you'll get a good picture of what the excursion is like.

Also, check the video gallery on http://www.alaska.org . Many excursions have video on that site. Check youtube as well.

If the manufacturing portion is what interests you, call/email the store and ask if you will see any part of the manufacturing process. If I remember correctly, there was a review that said the tour showed a video of the manufacturing process but you didn't actually see the process as it happens. Have a great trip!

We just stopped by when we rented a car in June of 2012 and there was a girl demonstrating the ulu and talking about the sizes of the knives and the different handle styles. We also got a short tour looking through the windows of the assembly area of the assembly and polishing process. The store is very small and they also have seconds if you are interested. We enjoyed the visit a lot. They also have other quality Made in Alaska items for sale. Take the bus, it's free!

The shuttle officially starts on June 1.

Give them a call to ask your questions. Nice folks there.

Most cell phone plans include free long distance calls to Alaska. (907) 276-3119. and outside Alaska (800) 488-5592.