UDP help - Is it a good deal for me?

cruisers04

Any simple "formula" to determine whether UDP would be worth it? Like a minimum number of specialty restaurants we need to visit to break even or get ahead? I know this shouldn't be so difficult to figure out but I could use some ncl cruisers help. :)

We had the UDP and if you are interested in all the specialty restaurants, then the package is for you. We did Cagney's and Le Bistro twice, then scheduled the rest of the nights for the other restaurants. If we had paid for each restaurant, it would have cost more than the package so for us, it was completely worth it.

Edited by Erik101

I don't mean to be rude, I really don't. But this is simple math. Plus, you didn't mention which ship/voyage you will be on.

Look at your ship and decide on what restaurants you might like to try. Then look at the cover charges for each. Add them up. It will make sense to get the UDP, or it won't.

You also may want to read some reviews to see what others thought of the dining options.

There really is no NCL cruiser's secret to this... :confused:

Any simple "formula" to determine whether UDP would be worth it? Like a minimum number of specialty restaurants we need to visit to break even or get ahead? I know this shouldn't be so difficult to figure out but I could use some ncl cruisers help. :)

Tell me which specialty restaurants you want to enjoy, how many times each, and the length of your cruise. I will gladly do the math for you. It's not a problem.

Tell me which specialty restaurants you want to enjoy, how many times each, and the length of your cruise. I will gladly do the math for you. It's not a problem.

Yep.. all depends on YOUR eating desires. If you only go a few nights and enjoy the MDR and Buffet the other nights, then... no go.

Not the OP but am looking at the UDP as well. My DD and I are doing the Getaway in October. Want to do the magic show which is included on the first night, Le Bistro, Cagneys, Tappanyaki, Moderno. Out TA is willing to pick up the fees for one so us so I think that makes it a no-brainier but would like some input.

snow bunny

I don't want to sound mean, but the way you ask the questions tells me you are smart enough to know that if you add up the cover charges of all the specialty dinners u wish to visit and the total sum of covers is greater than the cost of the UDP than you should get the UDP. Otherwise pay as you go. It's simple math. You actually got an offer from a friendly CC'er who offered to do the math for u, what a nice person! You r savvy enough to be on cruise critic and post on this forum on many occasions so it would take about 10 minutes for u to look up the restaurants on your ship of choice, get some inkling of the menus and cover cost for each, make some choices and presto, do the math and decide if UDP is for u or not. Sorry for rant....sortof...

Look the the price of the UDP for the number of nights you are onboard. For me, it is 11 nights at $179. I simply figured out which restaurants for which nights (Cagney's $30, Teppanyaki $25, Le Bistro $20, Moderno $20, La Cucina $15 - I'm on the Pearl, but you can look up your ship on NCL's site). It ended up being a $90+ savings for me, not to mention I get some great food.

Look the the price of the UDP for the number of nights you are onboard. For me, it is 11 nights at $179. I simply figured out which restaurants for which nights (Cagney's $30, Teppanyaki $25, Le Bistro $20, Moderno $20, La Cucina $15 - I'm on the Pearl, but you can look up your ship on NCL's site). It ended up being a $90+ savings for me, not to mention I get some great food.

Yes....the "math" is similar for us - even on a 7 nighter.

OP...look at it this way - on a 7 night cruise the UDP is $119.00. IF you going to go to a specialty restaurant each night that comes to $17/meal. So unless you plan to eat each night at LaCucina ($15) you will at least "break even" - if you eat each meal at Cagney's you will be WAY ahead. Everything else falls in between ;)

I really enjoyed having the UDP but DH gained at least 10 lbs more on this cruise because of it. The food in the specialty restaurants has more butter and cream which are high in calories. Also the food is delicious and you can order as much as you want including the extra cost items so if you don't have willpower and don't want to gain weight this may not be such a good deal afterall.

Thank you to those of you who offered help. My ship is the Getaway. My question was based on a recent post of a spreadsheet to help passengers decide if UBP was right for them. With variables like 20% off Ocean Blue and some sort of offer for first night Illusionarium I was thinking if such a spreadsheet existed it would be an aid for me. I am sorry if I offended anyone with the question or with my poor math skills. Please just ignore question. I will be more careful if I should post in the future.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Thank you to those of you who offered help. My ship is the Getaway. My question was based on a recent post of a spreadsheet to help passengers decide if UBP was right for them. With variables like 20% off Ocean Blue and some sort of offer for first night Illusionarium I was thinking if such a spreadsheet existed it would be an aid for me. I am sorry if I offended anyone with the question or with my poor math skills. Please just ignore question. I will be more careful if I should post in the future.

Cruisers I knew exactly what you meant as I asked a similar question myself. Last time I went on NCL was 5 years ago and back then there was discounts on some restaurants if you ate early for example. I don't think a straight forward question deserves sarcasm. It's rude quite frankly. If someone doesn't like the question, why not simply ignore it. Sad really.

I really enjoyed having the UDP but DH gained at least 10 lbs more on this cruise because of it. The food in the specialty restaurants has more butter and cream which are high in calories. Also the food is delicious and you can order as much as you want including the extra cost items so if you don't have willpower and don't want to gain weight this may not be such a good deal afterall.

Sorry but have to correct this.. it is not order you want, you can order only one main course on the more upscale venues. Or you will be charge $10 for each additional main course.. But the extra cost items in Le Bistro are included.

And you can visit more than one specialty resto per night, but limited to only main course at Cagney's and Le Bistro...

Sorry but have to correct this.. it is not order you want, you can order only one main course on the more upscale venues. Or you will be charge $10 for each additional main course.. But the extra cost items in Le Bistro are included.

And you can visit more than one specialty resto per night, but limited to only main course at Cagney's and Le Bistro...

That was not my experience and I can only comment on that. I ordered, 2 appetizers and 2 main entres at LeBistro and so did DH and one of his was the Lobster tails that also had a surcharge that we did not have to pay for.

Regardless of how it breaks out, it is worth it to me. I will be on the Spirit in Novemeber for 12 nights- cost for the UDP is $194- which comes to $16 a night. With the specialty restaurants running between $15 and $30, this will work out in the end. I had a not so great experience in the two MDRs, so it is specialty dining for me!

Don't let these people get to you! You ask whatever you need to know and stick to those who are willing to help you. Ignore the rest!

Edited by Erik101

That was not my experience and I can only comment on that. I ordered, 2 appetizers and 2 main entres at LeBistro and so did DH and one of his was the Lobster tails that also had a surcharge that we did not have to pay for.

It might not have been your experience, but that is what is written in NCL's terms, so someone should approach it with that understanding. You were lucky & fortunate that someone made an exception for you, and I'm jealous. :p

If you were like us and had cruised with NCL several times before, you would know what restaurants you liked, and what your cruising style was, and it would make the decision re the UDP much easier. I assume this is your first cruise with NCL?

We never miss at least one meal at Cagneys. We like Moderno, and maybe will do Le Bistro as well. We know we'll be in one of the main dining room at least one night and will probably be tired after some port days and just want to do the buffet or O'Sheehans, also free. So, the UDP just would not pay for us.