Photos

cdnphotogirl

Does the Royal Princess have a place where I can print photos? If yes, how much would it cost to print 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 photos? I have "post card backs" and you can attach them to the back of your photos and create post cards using your own photos. I find it a bit more personal and although I don't use them all the time it is nice to send your own pics.

Wow -what a great idea. I would also love to know about photo processing on Princess (especially prices and turnaround time) - we will be on the Royal this August. Thanks, OP, for introducing me to these postcard backs!

We are sailing at the end of Jun so I will report back on prices, turnaround time and quality. I like them as it makes my post card more personal than the ones you buy in port.

Edited by cdnphotogirl

All the Princess ships that I have been on have kiosks in the photo gallery where you can place a memory chip and order photos.

Used to. Most no longer have self-service kiosks (Royal did not as of April 2014), however the photo staff can still print photos from your memory card if you go to the gallery when it is open and the prints will be available to collect the next day. There is several sizes of print available, starting from 0.35 each for 4x6 although there is usually a lower price if you print a lot of 4x6 photos from your memory card at once (75+).

You will see kiosks in the gallery on the Royal but these are just for viewing and purchasing the photos that the photographers take of you.

Edited by ShipFish
oops. formatting.

• 2 weeks later...
All the Princess ships that I have been on have kiosks in the photo gallery where you can place a memory chip and order photos.

Used to. Most no longer have self-service kiosks (Royal did not as of April 2014), however the photo staff can still print photos from your memory card if you go to the gallery when it is open and the prints will be available to collect the next day.

I can confirm the "used to" as it was no longer on the CB in February and the photo staff had no idea what I was asking about.

Although the photo staff can print the photos for you, there are several disadvantages compared to using the no-longer-existing kiosk.

o Most digital pictures are a different size (length or width) than the standard print sizes. With the kiosk, you can select what portion of the picture to print (as well as zoom in if you want). The photostaff will just print the part of the image that is centered.

o With the kiosk you can "enhance" your photo to take care of poor lighting, contrast, etc. The photostaff will print the photo as is.

Of course if you can first crop and enhance the pictures before giving them to the photostaff, you will get prints of the photos the way you want them.

o Most digital pictures are a different size (length or width) than the standard print sizes. With the kiosk, you can select what portion of the picture to print (as well as zoom in if you want). The photostaff will just print the part of the image that is centered.

o With the kiosk you can "enhance" your photo to take care of poor lighting, contrast, etc. The photostaff will print the photo as is.

If you wish anything particular done in the way of cropping ask the photostaff when you make the order - they can take requests to crop and edit photos (within reason - as you say, some photos have to be cropped as the image ratio does not match the print ratio).

And as for brightness and contrast the photostaff should do that without asking when they print them on their systems (again, within reason: they won't save a photo which is completely blown-out/under exposed) - if you get prints back and they aren't good enough quality (too dark, colour off, marks on print) then talk to them. Sometimes, especially if they have been printing hundreds of passenger prints that morning, quality errors do occur and get missed but they're always happy to reprint them.

And as for brightness and contrast the photostaff should do that without asking when they print them on their systems (again, within reason: they won't save a photo which is completely blown-out/under exposed) - if you get prints back and they aren't good enough quality (too dark, colour off, marks on print) then talk to them. Sometimes, especially if they have been printing hundreds of passenger prints that morning, quality errors do occur and get missed but they're always happy to reprint them.

I carefully edited about 20 pictures, cropped to 4x6, and had them

printed. Some were landscape, and some were portrait.

The photostaff thoughtfully printed them all as landscape. The places

I print on land 'auto-rotate'.

Now, I just bring my own portable printer. I much prefer the immediacy.

I carefully edited about 20 pictures, cropped to 4x6, and had them

printed. Some were landscape, and some were portrait.

The photostaff thoughtfully printed them all as landscape. The places

I print on land 'auto-rotate'.

Hmm, I would doubt that was the photostaff on purpose, it sounds more like a software glitch that didn't get caught during the printing process. The printing software they use will normally auto-rotate but can sometimes play up depending on how the photos were taken/previously edited. Easy to fix if caught, but if lab staff aren't paying attention or in a hurry it can easily be missed.

Hmm, I would doubt that was the photostaff on purpose, it sounds more like a software glitch that didn't get caught during the printing process. The printing software they use will normally auto-rotate but can sometimes play up depending on how the photos were taken/previously edited. Easy to fix if caught, but if lab staff aren't paying attention or in a hurry it can easily be missed.

The person at the photo desk blamed the person running the printer

for not paying attention.

They re-did them for free, but it was another 1 day delay.