Sunshine or Legend?

zaneyduck

My husband and I are looking to take a cruise for our anniversary. We sailed on RCI Freedom of the Seas for our honeymoon and recently took another trip on RCI Liberty of the Seas. We both want to try a different boat and decided we would give Carnival a shot. We live in Tampa and have the option of taking the Legend out of Tampa or the Sunshine out of Port Canaveral. It is the same trip, with the same ports of call (Cozumel, Belieze, Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya), just different boats.

We know nothing about Carnival, so any recommendations, pros and cons, would be much appreciated. We are not real drinkers or party animals. We are both teachers and cruises are our way to relax and get away from the middle school students that we teach all year long. Our favorite things to do on cruises is trivia, shows, food, and relaxing by the pool or on the beach.

I would say having sailed on Legend a few times that you will be thoroughly pleased. That plus it appears that you live within 15 minutes of the Port of Tampa make sailing on Legend a great choice!

The location really isn't an issue, as my parents live in Orlando and have no problem driving us to Port Canaveral for the trip. We actually live about 35 minutes from the Port of Tampa, but I work right by the port. I actually see the ships in port almost daily (nothing like that on your way to work at 6:30 in the morning) and could just about walk to the port from my school.

Don't know much about Legand but I know I would not do Sunshine. Is Liberty out of port Canaveral ? If so I would take the drive to sail her....great ship and crew. With never sailing Carnival I'm not sure the two ships your looking at can compare to the FOTS or LOTS , this is my opinion. The Breeze is a nice ship but it's out of Miami so my suggestion is go with Liberty out of PC.

I'm in your neck of the woods, and agree with your port choice assessment. PC isn't too far. But, Tampa really is convenient - a 30 minute ride to the port beats a 2 hr drive.

I have not been on either ship, although was on the Destiny right before she was made over. Will be on the Legend next month - will be our first experience on the Spirit class.

I imagine the Legend prices out a little cheaper? Being still newly refurbed, I would think the Sunshine prices a little higher.

You probably know, but unless you work on Sundays, you haven't seen the Legend in port. Thats the only day she's there. Paradise is on a rotating Th, Mon, Sat schedule.

Given that you haven't been on Carnival before, take the less expensive option. You'll have a great time either way!

We really really like the LEGEND. If the ol'man woulda let me book last night we would be leaving on Sunday ( I even cried ) NO GO. Both of us in a French door PACK & GO $900.00, how could he say NO.

The crew is great & the ship is very easy to get around, no blocked deck's as both Dinning rooms are aft. Food is great & service outstanding. We did four B2B'S this past winter. Tampa port is hands down the easiest port we have done. 241 Parking good price & again service top notch.

Char

The lovely Mrs. Jones did the "Sunshine" Med Cruise, and Trans Atlantic, and she wasn't too impressed with that ship. Having said that, the "Legend" is one of our all time favorite ships, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that ship/cruise to anyone. The fact that she sails from Tampa is another plus for you as well. I'd book "Legend" in a heartbeat, before I'd even consider "Sunshine".

"SKY"

I sailed on the Legend last November and had a wonderful time - I've heard it is a favorite among Carnival fans and she is being re-positioned permanently to Australia so it may be the only time you get a chance to sail on her. Not sure if that means anything but it's part of the reason I sailed on her when I did. :)

My only complaint was the hardest bed I have ever slept on but I was unaware that I could ask for an egg carton mattress to make it softer...now I know!!!!