I-phone for pics and video

Marieze

While I plan on bringing a point and shoot camera, I was wondering if any of you used just your iPhone to take either pictures or more importantly to me, video.....going to Alaska on the Golden in August.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I plan on bringing a point and shoot camera, I was wondering if any of you used just your iPhone to take either pictures or more importantly to me, video.....going to Alaska on the Golden in August.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used my iPhone for pictures, never had a problem, never tried it for videos on a cruise.

Hugh :cool:

I use my iPhone also. Just be certain before you leave that you have enough memory to store photos, and particularly video, which can be large files. I actually clear a lot of apps off my phone, and add a couple of different ones back on, just for travel. It also forces me to backup my phone in iTunes before I leave, just in case disaster strikes.

I don't have an iPhone, but I do have an iPod 5. It's basically the same as an iPhone without the phone. It has 32 GB of memory. I started using it to take all my travel photos except ones requiring a high zoom. They come out beautifully, as do videos. It has a flash that usually works well, but takes beautiful pictures in even dim light without the flash. I have it set up to store pictures on iCloud when connected to wifi. My home computer and iPad are also on the Cloud so pictures are automatically transferred to them.

That said, I would use a regular camera in Alaska. There are so many things to take pictures of you could find yourself coming home with a thousand pictures or more. That's more than an iPhone or iPod could handle unless it's a 64 GB or higher model. You'll also want a better zoom to capture photos of wildlife.

Edited by Grannycb

Thanks!

Yes it works great, just try to be as steady as possible.

Mike:)

While aboard Royal Princess last year I relied completely on my iPhone 5 during the run of my Live thread for taking pictures and then downloading them to Flickr before posting them on this forum.

If you have time, scan through THIS for about thirty pages and see the results.

The key is to hold the iPhone very still, tap several points on the screen to get the best exposure and focus for your image, then very gently tap on the 'shutter' button on the screen. It's probably best to practice this around your home, local park, and whenever you get a chance.

I also took my 'point and shoot' but rarely if ever used it to post during the actual Live thread, since it was just easier to shoot, download, and post to Cruise Critic. And I did take a LOT of pictures with my 'point and shoot' too. If you anticipate taking a lot of pictures with your iPhone, take something to back them up on (laptop, Netbook, etc) so that you can clear them off your phone if you need extra space.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

I am one of those people you see running around the ship with the big camera and flash.

Any camera will take nice pictures if the lens is clean and there is a lot of light. A big fancy camera left on full auto mode won't do much better than your iPhone.

I manually set up my camera's shutter speed and aperture and process the pictures on my laptop. My wife carries a little point and shoot camera which is setup to always fire the flash. That way you don't have the bright backgrounds with the shadowy faces.

A lot of people think that I go overboard with my photo gear, but the pictures are our memories of these special Times.

There is a discussion thread about camera's that is very good.

Edited by cambio

I use my iPhone for video as it's easier to upload to social media than with the camera that I have (the video format is different as well). Normally use my camera for stills, but will use the iPhone in a pinch.