Review of Alaska with my 5 children

CNDKangaroo

Just returned from a 10 day cruise to Alaska with my 5 children (14, 12,10,5,2). We had a blast! We sailed on the Norwegian Pearl in two connecting ocean view rooms.

1. Connecting rooms was fantastic, having two bathrooms was great with so many children and when the younger set when to bed I was able to keep the doors open and read in the other room.

2. We brought tons of clothes and there was lots of space for all our "stuff" The drawers were large and deep and the closet was large with lots of hangers.

3. My two year old had no problem opening the cabin door. This became a problem as he thought it was great to open the door and dash down the hall. Thankfully he never got far and the noise of the door clicking shut is loud and distinctive. If you have a runner like me some sort of lock for the door would be beneficial. The lock on the door did not stop him as it was an easy turn to get it unlocked (there was a brief panic when he locked himself in the bathroom but he was able to open it again without any issue.

4. We brought a stroller and a child carrier backpack and both were used often. I suggest a stroller that can recline and is comfortable (not umbrella) as the two year old fell asleep a few times in the stroller. We used the backpack in ports when we were going on a hike or on a bus. Note, the buses in Sitka to the town are not stroller friendly.

5. My 5, 10 and 14 year old loved their respective kids programs. The 12 year old felt too old for the kids club so she sort of moped about not being allowed in the teen club. I'm glad she wasn't as it was late nights and a lot more freedom around the boat. The 5 year old was in the 3-5 group and couldn't get enough of it, lots of parades and face-painting, crafts, games and a movie or two (they always told me if a movie was scheduled which I appreciated). The 10 year old was in the 6-9 group due to some developmental delays and she had such a great time. Due to some of her issues I expected meltdowns but for the whole 10 days we only had one "bad" day...amazing! The staff were fantastic and kept the kids entertained and active. The 14 year old was one of 4 teens in the teens club and he had a blast. Lots for them to do!

6. The 5, 10 and 2 year old loved the pool (2 year old is fully potty trained so no worries there!). The pool though was freezing! The little pool in the "guppy" area was lovely for the 5 and 2 year old. The little play area was nice too. The guppy room (for 0-2) was off the pool area and it was basically a room with some mats and toys. At first glance I was disappointed but my two year old loved the space and we spend an hour a day in the room. I didn't mind as the views were great!

7. I brought a few little things to keep the 5 and 2 year old amused at meal time. Mostly though it was best to go for a walk with the 2 year old until the meal was served. The buffet was fine but finding a table was a chore and it seemed I was always jumping up to get something for someone (juice, more food etc.).

8. Loved the sports deck with the area for soccer and basketball. A great area for all to burn off some energy. Note, it closes at 5pm.

9. The library has children's books so no need to bring stories for bedtime.

10. Laynards would have been helpful.

11. Loved my foldable laundry basket. Put it in the closet. Did two loads of laundry (not self serve). Takes one day to get the clothes back.

12. The white pass train in Skagway was too long for young children (the 2 year old fell asleep on the way down). Mine are huge train fans but the 3.5 hours in one car was a little much for them. They did well but I wouldn't recommend it for kids under 10. My 12 and 14 year old enjoyed the trip and the views were fantastic -- highly recommend.

13. Didn't realize that the kids club staff are not included in the $12/day service charge. Left me wondering how much to tip them...each of the kids made a card of thanks will a bit of cash -- still wonder how much others give...

14. Alaska is great with kids. The weather was wonderful and the ports were all beautiful with lots of hiking and exploring. The history and stories were great and we'd read up about the area before going so the kids were excited to see the places they'd read about.

If you have any questions let me know and I'll try to answer them!

Thanks for your review. We did the Norwegian Pearl from Long Beach to Vancouver May 3- May 8th and then switched to the Celebrity Solstice (May8th-16th). We saw the Pearl following us. You must have been on there!

I have to say that we had more fun on the Pearl than on the Solstice. It is great for kids and teens.

Glad you have a nice cruise.

Very helpful!

What are the hours like at the library? Is it pretty easy to just drop in? I never would have thought of that.

Did you try the kid-specific buffet? I don't know whether that's on every ship. We'll be on the Star. Wondering how healthy the choices are and how comfortable the seating is for adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very helpful!

What are the hours like at the library? Is it pretty easy to just drop in? I never would have thought of that.

Did you try the kid-specific buffet? I don't know whether that's on every ship. We'll be on the Star. Wondering how healthy the choices are and how comfortable the seating is for adults.

The library is open for a few hours each day (usually 2-4pm) for checking out books. Anytime for just sitting and reading and returning books.

I think because there were so few children on the cruise the kid's buffet was not open. Lots of adults were sitting in the area though so the seating is fine for adults and kids. The kids menu seemed to be the usual hot dogs, mac and cheese, pizza etc. Most can be found in the regular buffet area. Fresh veggies can be found at the salad station and fruit in the dessert section.

The library is open for a few hours each day (usually 2-4pm) for checking out books. Anytime for just sitting and reading and returning books.

I think because there were so few children on the cruise the kid's buffet was not open. Lots of adults were sitting in the area though so the seating is fine for adults and kids. The kids menu seemed to be the usual hot dogs, mac and cheese, pizza etc. Most can be found in the regular buffet area. Fresh veggies can be found at the salad station and fruit in the dessert section.

Thanks!

Edited by cadien

Alaska Ports:

Ketchikan- Loved this port. We stopped at the Discovery Centre and picked up the Jr. ranger books. Took a tour of the Centre (which is great!) and got our stamps for our Jr. Ranger activity. Went for a walk along Creek Street and poked around the shops. Visited the Museum, there were free craft activities for the kids which they enjoyed. (all the kids got off in this port)

Juneau - Took the blue bus to the Mendenhall Glacier. Walked the Nugget Trail to the falls and along the beach back to the visitors centre. Went for a circle trail walk back to the blue bus (get their early as the lines get long). All the kids enjoyed this port. The 5 year old really, really wanted to ride the tram up the mountain and there are some great looking hikes at the top but we didn't end up doing it (next time!)

Skagway - Took the White Pass Train. Hit for the 14 and 12 year old. The 2 year old liked it for the first bit (huge train fan) but the 3.5 hour part was too long for him and he ended up falling asleep. The 5 and 10 year old opted to stay in the kids club for this port. We also explored the historic town and there are some great walking tours. Just stop by the visitors centre to find out the times. These tours are free. Would have liked to explore some of the trails to the right of the cruise docks but we didn't have time (next time!)

Icy Point - Took the 12 and 2 year old on a short walk along the paths. They enjoyed it. The 14, 10 and 5 year old opted to stay in the Kids club. This is a cute little stop. The 2 year old loved throwing rocks in the water and playing on the rocky beach (could have done this for hours). Saw other children collecting shells etc. on the beach and they were all having a great time. Walked the seawall to the town, not much there but I nice walk. The zip line looked fun but the price seemed very high, even the 12 year old thought it would be a waste of money.

Glacier Bay - Didn't get off the ship but the kids all LOVED the glaciers. Went on the deck but it was too crowded so took the younger three to the spinnaker lounge and they had great view of the ice calving. I think this might have been the highlight of the trip for all (the 5 year old wanted to see icebergs and he did which made his day. The 12 year old commented that next time she'd like to bring binoculars!

Sitka - The 14 year old stayed on the ship after a late night at the Teen club the night before. Took the bus to the town. Went for a walk to Totem Park and walked around the park. The kids loved this walk and we saw loads of bald eagles. Played on the beach and looked around the centre. On the walk back we visited the Bishops house. Took a stroll along the street with all the shops (good picture spots at the end of the street). Visited the library (because we love libraries).

We didn't do many excursions this time as I knew we'd be back with Dad/husband next year but we had a great time touring the sites on our own. The scenery was amazing...

Thank you for your post, your review is very helpful.

We will be on the Pearl in August with our 6 year old daughter.

Could you elaborate on the kid's club activites for 6-9 year olds?

Do you have a copy of their daily activity schedule? Was the little kiddie pool still fun for you 10 year old, and is their a water slide in that pool?

And is there a self serve laudry on the Pearl or do you have to send it out?

Thank you , and glad you had a wonderful cruise!

The kiddy pool didn't have a slide that I recall. It looked cute though. The youth program was very nice on the Pearl and they do all sorts. There is a family circus performance on the last sea day and it was cute.

The little child buffet was empty during our sailing May 3-8- so don't bank on this but your six year old will find plenty to eat in the regular buffet. BTW go to the "Cantina"- the Italian restaurant outside of the buffet. You can sit there to eat during breakfast and lunch with your food from the buffet and they have coffee and juice there. This will be a huge time saver because you won't have to try to find a seat in the buffet at breakfast. Another convenient option for breakfast is the Blue Lagoon- they have limited items for breakfast but it is easier than the buffet, especially if you are one of the lower decks.

My son (age 13) loved the Japanese restaurant and tried California Roll at the Sushi bar. Both were hits with him.

The Blue Lagoon has 24 kid friendly food including fish and chips and brownie sundaes.

There is no self-service laundry and the prices were outrageous to send things to be cleaned. Plan on washing underwear and socks in the sink and bring enough clothes for the cruise. But don't overpack. You don't need any formal clothes at all. This cuts down on the wardrobe changes.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

The tiny kids pool is suitable for up to age 5 (but mostly 1-3) and has a tiny slide. The kids pool doesn't have a slide but my kids loved it.

The 6-9 group had themes such as:

Pirates, Survival, Superhero, Hollywood, Cowboy

They played games such as:

Parachute, racing games, lego, lots of crafts, lego, ball games in the sports area, skits

They had a Jr. Ranger on the ship in Glacier Bay and the children did activates and received their Jr. Ranger badge.

My 10 year old LOVED the program. Sorry, didn't bring the schedule home with us but basically the kids went from 9-12 and then from 2-5 and 7-10:30. My 10 year old usually went to the first session and then in the evening after dinner for a hour or so.