Summit to Bermuda Question

njguy_south

I was just on the Summit last week. You have to buy the passes when you get there. The transportation stand is just a few yards away from where you get off the ship. A tip on the passes- one way tokens are $4 each. We did one round trip each of the 3 days($24) so I lost money on the passes. Consider how many trips you plan to do before you buy the pass. Bon voyage!

And non-refundable...

We rented a scooter :D

How was riding the scooter? We've been going back and forth of renting the scooter for our transpertation or taking the bus. I've read where the streets are narrow and the drivers crazy. I have a motorcycle and ride a lot, so I'm not worried about my skills. But I don't want to put Sally in an uncomfortable situation.

Burt

My DH also has a bike, so he and I are comfortable on a bike. We both sat on this little 50cc scooter and put on over 200 miles!!!! To us, it was the BEST and only way to see the island, they come with locks and you park them right our front of the ship- super convient!! Next time we I we are renting for the full 3 days, you can go anywhere!

No waiting for buses etc. just take your time and pull over if you need, the locals are used to us, lol

I noticed too that all tourists wear white helmets.

We used elbow beach scooters.

Order online before hand and get a discount, and they will pick you up at your ship and drive you to the shop and give you a quick lesson!!!!

Can't say enough good!!!!

And I must add, my DH is about 275 and I am tall and solid, lol. And we both squeezed onto one scooter!!

We joked that we were looking like dumb and dumber - lol

Edited by mapleleafvoyage

How was riding the scooter? We've been going back and forth of renting the scooter for our transpertation or taking the bus. I've read where the streets are narrow and the drivers crazy. I have a motorcycle and ride a lot, so I'm not worried about my skills. But I don't want to put Sally in an uncomfortable situation.

Burt

The round-a bouts were a wee bit scary and my DH had a wasp fly up in his helmet...other than that it was great!

The round-a bouts were a wee bit scary and my DH had a wasp fly up in his helmet...other than that it was great!

Yikes!!! That's scary... And yes the roundabouts were a little tight, but we would just pull over before and time it and watch traffic -

Near the end of our stay, it was easy peasy!!!

And yes the roundabouts were a little tight, but we would just pull over before and time it and watch traffic -

Pulling over is good advise, thanks.

Was it hard getting used to riding in the opposite lane?

Burt

Bus/Ferry Passes cannot be bought on the ship and are priced as follows:

NOTE: multi-day passes must be used consecutively (i.e. 2 Day pass cannot be used on Wed & Fri.)

1 Day - $10/pp, 2 Day - $15/pp, 3 Day - $25/pp

Another option is a 15 ride coupon book for $30 (14 Zone, so good for the longest of bus rides, Dockyard to St. George, and you can still get free transfers if changing buses along the way). The coupons are usable by anyone, so if you're traveling with others ALL can share. If you won't be using the bus/ferrys more than a couple trips per day, they are the best value IMHO at only $2/trip. My DW and I used all but 3, since they don't expire they should still be good on our next visit. :cool:

FYI - The coupon book is NOT offered at the pier kiosk near the ship, only the ticket booths near the ferry piers at Dockyard or Hamilton. Also CASH only.

Edited by J&B in GA

Well OK then, I will rent a scooter on line. :D

We plan to take an all island tour our first day to get to know the island. I will rent the scooter for the rest of the week. Thanks again.

Burt

Burt,

We took an ALL Island tour on our first day with a Blue Ambassador Taxi. Great way to see the Island for first time visitors. Our Taxi driver was recommended here on CC on the Ports-of-Call Bermuda thread and was teriffic. Six hour tour, picked us up right in front of the ship, and dropped us off in Hamilton at the end of the day. We caught the ferry back to the Dockyards.

Yikes!!! That's scary... And yes the roundabouts were a little tight, but we would just pull over before and time it and watch traffic -

LOL!...and I thought he was just driving like an idiot. Poor guy, between the numerous stings, me smacking him on the arm and screaming in his ear to stop driving like a moron it turned out to be a wasp.

Tip...do not drive too close to the flowering shubbery :)

Burt,

We took an ALL Island tour on our first day with a Blue Ambassador Taxi. Great way to see the Island for first time visitors. Our Taxi driver was recommended here on CC on the Ports-of-Call Bermuda thread and was teriffic. Six hour tour, picked us up right in front of the ship, and dropped us off in Hamilton at the end of the day. We caught the ferry back to the Dockyards.

Thanks, I think Blue Ambassador is who we reserved. We also got them off the Bermuda Ports-of-Call threads. It's a six hour tour. Hmm, find myself humming Gilligan's Island.

Burt

[Q UOTE=Beachdude;42826080]Pulling over is good advise, thanks.

Was it hard getting used to riding in the opposite lane?

Burt

Not at all, there was always traffic around, either in front or on opposite lane.

How are the helmets they give you? We are driving to the pier so we thought about bringing some of our own helmets to use.

Not at all, there was always traffic around, either in front or on opposite lane.

How are the helmets they give you? We are driving to the pier so we thought about bringing some of our own helmets to use.

Helmets were fine.. They were white, in fact, I noticed all the rental companies seem to give out white helmets. I wonder if that is "code" for the locals to watch for us? ( I wouldn't bring our helmets. ) We honestly had so much fun on that little 50cc. We actually enjoyed sharing the one... And, it helped to have the extra eyes to help watch the traffic when we were crossing over lanes, etc.. There is so much freedom that comes with having your own wheels. And, not to mention the convience of parking right beside your ship!!! It made it super easy for coming back and grabbing lunch and then heading back out, without having to wait for the bus/ferry. We put over 200 miles on that little sucker :D

We bought tokens. It was cheaper for us than a pass. There are also a few tickets booths around the dock area. Seen many standing in a long line by the ships and then a little further down the dock there was no one.

Don't wait up until the last minute. The ferry gets filled up fast and will leave when full. We got to the ferry 15 minutes before it was scheduled to leave and seen it pulling away and there were many standing in line. If you go to the official Burmuda site they have a ferry schedule, bus schedule and routes plus the prices.

The other is don't waste your time waitng for the free shuttle at the pier. It has many stops and sometimes is also full when it gets to the Celebrity stop because it stops at the NCL ship first. It is faster to walk than stand in line waitng for it and then not be able to get on.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅