Advantages/Disadvantages of booking cruise with TA or directly with RC?

I'm planning my first Mediterranean cruise for next year (I've cruised Caribbean before).

I'm wondering since I've never been to Europe, and I may be travelling solo, would it be better to book my cruise/flight/etc., through a Travel Agent or directly with RCI?

Are there advantages/disadvantages using one over the other? :confused:

A TA should be able to provide good information regarding questions you may have and the right one should have the experience and expertise needed to help you with the right booking. The base stateroom rates will be the same through RCI direct as with a TA, so no advantage / disadvantage there. A TA may also be able to provide their own out of pocket OBC or other perks for you which may be a plus. My recommendation would be to research the different itineraries but use a TA for the booking.

Just be sure in advance that they do not charge separate fees not charged directly by the cruise line for originating, modifying, or cancelling a booking. Many TA's do not charge those but some do and you should be sure you understand that upfront.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Just be sure in advance that they do not charge separate fees not charged directly by the cruise line for originating, modifying, or cancelling a booking. Many TA's do not charge those but some do and you should be sure you understand that upfront.

That's a great point!!! I never would have thought about that! I will definitely ask that of a TA. Thank you! :)

I actually have a Mediterranean cruise booked through a TA for Sept. I booked using her because they were offering $50 onboard credit I normally do everything on my own and I wish I would have this trip. After booking prices dropped of course I couldn't call RC as the TA has to do everything well I did get a price drop then they had the 3/4 person WOW sale had to bug TA again she did get my 3 and 4th guest free. I have to make all my payment through her and I am almost afraid if prices drop again to ask her to help us as I just received an invoice with a letter stating "this accounting has been a nightmare!" I had to book my own flight through Choice Air on my own so the only positive is the $50 credit, but can't say it's worth it losing control of my booking and being able to call and make changes or price drops on my own!

I have to make all my payment through her and I am almost afraid if prices drop again to ask her to help us as I just received an invoice with a letter stating "this accounting has been a nightmare!"

This is the type of action and comment that gives so many of us a bad name. I would never dream of sending a client an invoice with a note indicating that their booking has been anything but a pleasure to handle. Why would any TA tell you that you've been difficult? I know the reason...but still, I would never do it.

I have had complicated bookings, with multiple credits to be applied, then other promotions to confirm, and I would never think to tell a client that they have caused me undue work.

I hate to say it but you need a new TA. Don't write off the entire profession just for one person.

I actually have a Mediterranean cruise booked through a TA for Sept. I booked using her because they were offering $50 onboard credit I normally do everything on my own and I wish I would have this trip. After booking prices dropped of course I couldn't call RC as the TA has to do everything well I did get a price drop then they had the 3/4 person WOW sale had to bug TA again she did get my 3 and 4th guest free. I have to make all my payment through her and I am almost afraid if prices drop again to ask her to help us as I just received an invoice with a letter stating "this accounting has been a nightmare!" I had to book my own flight through Choice Air on my own so the only positive is the $50 credit, but can't say it's worth it losing control of my booking and being able to call and make changes or price drops on my own!

You need to start looking for another TA !

To me, it sounds as though you might benefit from a different TA. At least now you are better prepared as far as what to expect.

Ray in NH

This is the type of action and comment that gives so many of us a bad name. I would never dream of sending a client an invoice with a note indicating that their booking has been anything but a pleasure to handle. Why would any TA tell you that you've been difficult? I know the reason...but still, I would never do it.

I have had complicated bookings, with multiple credits to be applied, then other promotions to confirm, and I would never think to tell a client that they have caused me undue work.

I hate to say it but you need a new TA. Don't write off the entire profession just for one person.

Unfortunately in our area we have 1 maybe 2 choice of local travel agents and figured it was a reputable company I have used years ago (but it is a new TA.) It was difficult because RC wouldn't give me my open booking on my cruise (not sure why as I had given my papers to the TA) then with the price drops and the WOW sale the wait times on the phone was crazy so I'm guessing that's what she meant! I would not consider myself a difficult customer I just want to save money as this trip will not be cheap as I am paying for 6!

Thank you for all the insight and tips. :)

I booked my Caribbean cruise last time directly with RC and Choice Air with no issues, but I thought being the first time going to Europe (and possibly alone), a TA may be beneficial for hotels, transfers, etc. (I plan to go in a day or two early before the cruise).

Good thing the cruise is a year away, lots of research to do. :)