For all us Brits who book with RCI in the UK.

Want to transfer a sailing you have booked to another?

Did you call the RCI UK telephone number, but it was answered in Guatemala eventually? Did you have to select umpteen options before getting to a representative? Err, yes. "Ah ok, sorry but you may get disconnected because we have problems when we put guests on hold to check things we haven't been trained on" (actual comment to me this past Saturday).

Did you book with RCI UK? "Oh you did, well that'll be £75 pp for the first 2 passengers in the cabin to transfer to another sailing" (I stop listening after this as there's never more than 2 in ours).

Mmm, now this will ruffle a few feathers. Imagine the scenario if you were to try and change a Carnival sailing booked via Carnival UK.

Want to transfer a sailing you have booked to another?

Did you call the Carnival UK telephone number? Yes I did, but it was answered immediately in Denver, Colorado and I didn't get disconnected. Did you have to select umpteen options before getting to a representative? Err, no, 2 selections at most.

Did you book with Carnival UK? "Oh you did, well there'll be no penalty to transfer to another sailing". Err, sorry? "Yes sir you're changing well before final payment, so there's no penalty".

Wow, thanks Carnival, one very satisfied UK customer. RCI, take note.

Edited by peteukmcr

"Ah ok, sorry but you may get disconnected because we have problems when we put guests on hold to check things we haven't been trained on"

:eek:

So they're making excuses for hanging up before they do it lol

The differences between what RCCL UK and USA really annoys me. Did you know if we book a guarantee in the UK we can't change the cabin, we have to take what is assigned to us. Fortunately I found this out before I booked last time. I really think we should get the same as our friends across the pond when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Emma

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

The differences between what RCCL UK and USA really annoys me. Did you know if we book a guarantee in the UK we can't change the cabin, we have to take what is assigned to us. Fortunately I found this out before I booked last time. I really think we should get the same as our friends across the pond when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Emma

Yes, that happened to us in 2011. Despite all my US friends saying we could change our assignment, RCI UK would not budge.

BTW just on case anyone comes back and thinks that because I appear so disillusioned with RCI, then why don't I cancel our upcoming RCI sailings?

These were booked a long time before the latest incidents that have disappointed me with RCI, and to cancel would cost us £600!

I know Celebrity are part of RCI, but perhaps the on board experience will be better than recently on RCI.

Emma

Most UK RCI customers will agree, my understanding is that it is all about the way that UK travel business operates.

Have had many arguments with RCI over the years booked a cruise once direct with them then found it £150 cheaper with a company that they owner would they price match the simple answer was NO way.

Tired to book a cruise with a US company using a FCC brought on a cruise out of the USA paid for in dollars could I use it the answer again was NO. Reason you live in the UK.

With ref to the OP are you a C&A member the reason I ask is that you should be allowed one major change without have to pay a penalty that is my understanding.

Most UK RCI customers will agree, my understanding is that it is all about the way that UK travel business operates.

Have had many arguments with RCI over the years booked a cruise once direct with them then found it £150 cheaper with a company that they owner would they price match the simple answer was NO way.

Tired to book a cruise with a US company using a FCC brought on a cruise out of the USA paid for in dollars could I use it the answer again was NO. Reason you live in the UK.

With ref to the OP are you a C&A member the reason I ask is that you should be allowed one major change without have to pay a penalty that is my understanding.

Yes, D+ but that does not make any difference, as per the T&C's any transfer costs £75 pp with RCI.

From the RCI UK website for UK conditions.

For guests wishing to make a significant amendment to their booking outside of 56 days from departure, such as changing the ship, sail date, flights or brand, please note that a booking transfer fee is applicable. Please note that any amendments for hotels, transfers and flights may result in the loss of the amount that was collected at the time of booking for these additional components. The transfer fee is £75 per guest which is limited to the first two guests on a booking, therefore any 3rd/4th guests will not be charged. Please note: the transfer fee is a non-refundable amount

Please note: that your booking will be re-priced in-line with the up-to-date business and price rules and a new confirmation invoice will be issued.

For all changes that we consider to be minor changes (such as a change of stateroom or name changes on an existing booking by way of example only) outside of 56 days from departure, an amendment fee of £35 per guest per booking will be payable together with any costs incurred by ourselves and any costs or charges incurred or imposed by any of our suppliers. Please note: the amendment fee is a non-refundable amount

Edited by peteukmcr

Hi Pete, as D+ , and higher;) we are allowed one free change regardless what the change is.

I, so far, have been happy with Guatemala's customer service purely because they do not know what they are doing:D. I am not going to elaborate but suffice to say we had an OBC which should have disappeared when we chased a price drop for a better cabin category which we shouldn't have been able to do in the first place because it was after final payment.For the past 5 years or so we have had a rolling programme of 10 or more future cruises booked , beyond November 2014 we have nothing , that speaks volumes.

Hi Pete, as D+ , and higher;) we are allowed one free change regardless what the change is.

I, so far, have been happy with Guatemala's customer service purely because they do not know what they are doing:D. I am not going to elaborate but suffice to say we had an OBC which should have disappeared when we chased a price drop for a better cabin category which we shouldn't have been able to do in the first place because it was after final payment.For the past 5 years or so we have had a rolling programme of 10 or more future cruises booked , beyond November 2014 we have nothing , that speaks volumes.

Where does it state that? I need that info, but then again perhaps I don't because to be honest I most probably won't be booking RCI in the future over and above what we have booked because in IMHO the customer service is now so appalling both on board and at their service centres I don't have the time nor energy to deal with them.

As for your experience with Guatemala, well good luck, but don't you see that their ineptitude is impacting adversely many more guests like me that are now starting to turn their back on RCI?

I love the royal Caribbean product, so will travel with them again, but I do think that they hide behind the differences in the travel industry line. Most of the things we don't get over here have nothing to do with the way they have to do business, but the way they choose to do business. We pay more, we don't have the flexibility, we don't get the same offers and so on. After all, if one cruise line can offer changes with no charges in the uk then it shouldn't be a problem for another because of legislation (which is what they allude to).

I am just booking next year's cruise and I've decided to look at using a US travel agent to see if I can get a better deal/ a few perks and a bit more flexibility.

Heather - In the UK there is no rule about price drops after final payment. Quite a few of us on the RC got them a few weeks ago for the cruise tomorrow.

They seem to be able to do those if you push hard enough!!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

For D+ and higher you can make a "major" change like swapping ship or date

once for free. After that it is £75pp. Everyone can do a minor change once for free then after it is £35pp.

Could you possibly provide details of where this is documented? It is not mentioned in the T&C's as far as I can see, nor in the list of C&A benefits.

I seem to have had similar experiences albeit because the US have had to deal with things. My first phone call, regarding a price drop, was handled terribly by the Guatemala agent who just kept repeating my current booking details again and again and ignoring everything else I was saying. I asked for a supervisor and was transferred to a US agent who handled the price drop (after some convincing). The second phone call was just yesterday and I called the second the lines were opened. I am sure the person I talked to was from the US as well and he had no problems doing an upgrade and was more than happy to honour a price drop for the difference in cabin prices as well. So while my experiences have been positive outcomes overall, I am confident if I had been dealing with the Guatemala agents it would have been a different story.

In the future, as I am a US citizen, I will go back to booking through the US side as, despite the hassle of it (you can only go so far online with things as the US website constantly throws you back to the UK side, even with Proxy's!), I still prefer their customer services and my experience overall. I really think that their decision to move customer services to Guatemala will have a hugely negative impact on their customer satisfaction and return customer rates here in the UK.

Could you possibly provide details of where this is documented? It is not mentioned in the T&C's as far as I can see, nor in the list of C&A benefits.

Ive never seen this documented but it is true! If you are Diamond plus or above you can transfer sailing free of charge. Celebrity also do it for Elite and above.

As littlebriatin said you get charged 75.00pp should you change sailing yet again after the first free change.

Ive never seen this documented but it is true! If you are Diamond plus or above you can transfer sailing free of charge. Celebrity also do it for Elite and above.

As littlebriatin said you get charged 75.00pp should you change sailing yet again after the first free change.

Good to know, but my original point was as a first time cruiser with Carnival there was no charge to transfer a sailing. I don't particular care if D+ can get a change for free. If I use the same scenario of a first time cruiser trying to change a RCI sailing, they will be charged £75 pp, that's the difference. Remember not everyone sailing on RCI is D+ Or above.

There are many US based travel agencies that are very happy to make reservations for cruises, particularly if you don't want to be CONNED or you want TO GO on a VACATION.

Great play on words have used a US company similar name using a 0800 number from the UK. Very good service but unable to use FCC.

Yesterday I managed to change my booking on Quantum from an 8 day Bahamas cruise to a 14 night Dubai to Singapore cruise, part of the Global Odyssey re-positioning cruise from NYC to Shanghai. I can relate to the difficulties mentioned, having to choose many options, a long wait to speak to an agent then getting cut off whilst on hold when the agent had to speak to a supervisor. Amazingly I got the same agent when I rang back which saved me having to start all over again. As an experienced RCI cruiser I know what I want when I book but I find it very difficult to get the information I need and it was only after 2 25 minute calls that I eventually got my booking sorted out. All very frustrating and unsatisfactory. I'm really missing the helpful friendly team in Addlestone who were always a pleasure to do business with. As a D + member I have a dedicated phone number to call but still end up talking to the hapless team in Guatamala. I can confirm that the £75 admin fee was waived. Very excited about the opportunity to now go on a new ship and an itinerary I have been wanting to do for a long time.

Great play on words have used a US company similar name using a 0800 number from the UK. Very good service but unable to use FCC.

Why were you unable to use the FCC?

I'd guess because it was purchased in GBP but your earlier post suggests it was purchased in USD. But was it purchased on a cruise that you booked through a US agent or did you just request to pay for it in USD?

I have a FCC, purchased in USD, bought on a cruise booked via a US agent, paid for in USD. The FCC is effectively tied to that agent, so if it transpires that I cannot use it there will some serious letter writing being done!

Edited by icsys

Heather - In the UK there is no rule about price drops after final payment. Quite a few of us on the RC got them a few weeks ago for the cruise tomorrow.

They seem to be able to do those if you push hard enough!!!

Thanks L, must remember that:).

I am still waiting on a price drop from Guatemala. Apparently they sent an e.mail which can take up to 2 weeks to action. I phoned today to chase it up and they are dealing with the e.mails from 12th May, I requested the price drop on 13th.

I learn more each time I phone, Guatemala can do some changes internally but other things they have to do by e.mail , to the US I can only assume. It is still abysmal customer service.