Unique Saving Strategies?

Tee & Chilli

This one drives my D.W. crazy but here it goes, I will not spend one dime in the airport on the way to a vaction . I know it sounds crazy but think about it if you have kids and just get a couple of sodas and a beer or wine for the adults it can really add up and if you get something to eat it can add up to a lot of money . The thing is you are spending money before you get there ,this money almost always would be best spent on the ship or in port. Most times you are doing just to break the boredom and kill some time .

I have friends that save the change from their shopping trips.

Example: The Total bill is $46.40 they pay $50 then save the $3.60. Basically Round up and Pay yourself.

Since usually they are saving for a Disney trip they then purchase Disney Gift Cards when they have $25 saved, but you could use the same concept for any trip. Purchase a prepaid Traveler's Check credit card or Airline Gift cards...

I have a separate bank account specifically for Travel. I drop all my change into a cup and roll the coins about every six to eight weeks and deposit with any extra non paychecks (tax refunds, reimbursements, etc...) I may receive into this account.

You could also check to see if your employer will split deposit your pay check into multiple accounts and have a small amount redirected each paycheck. Trust me, You won't even notice it.

We have a piggy bank that we put extra change in too. The other thing is we have a cruise/trip fund box which we put money I get from freelance gigs I pick up or if we have a garage sale any money we make from it. Last time we had enough to cover 80% of our on board costs between the 2.

Sign up to receive the Groupon offers for Anchorage & Seattle (or Vancouver). They have regular offers for hotels, sightseeing, and food.

Also consider getting a credit card for the airline you will likely fly to get to your cruise port. Most offer enough miles for one free flight, just for signing up and charging $1000 on the card. Even if you have to pay an annual fee for one year, it's a tiny fraction of the cost of the actual flight.

~ I got the USAir Mastercard and got 40K points for $89 annual fee... enough for a first class flight. I'm starting/ending my trip in style and only cost me $89.

If there are only two of you on the trip, use hotels from HOTELS TONIGHT. It is an android application for last minute booking. Book on the day you check in, and can be booked for more than 1 night. The Warwick hotel in Seattle is normally $300 in the summer, can be booked for $99 to $110 per night.

Download the Hotel tonight app and see for yourself.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

We used the Northern Lights coupon book last summer for a Major Marine buy one get one free (with the Northern Lights coupon) during our Whittier turn around. The AK ports can be done on your own with local tour guides. Mendenhall Glacier can be reached by the buses located right dockside about 12. The towns themselves are right at the port so they can be done very inexpensively if you just want to walk around.