More Memories of the s.s. Norway

Sauer-kraut

Just watching an old movie from 1962 called "Two Tickets to Paris" a twist film. But the two singers are going to Paris on the s.s. France!! Great opening to the movie with shots of the France and her wonderful smokestacks and some beautiful deck shots as well!!

Here some videos of the NBC Today Show broadcasting in 1986 aboard the SS Norway. It's pretty interesting if you can get past the distraction of Jane Pauli's outfit :eek:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Edited by kylenyc

My mom started cruising in 1975 on NCL Starward. It wasn't until 20 years later she sailed on Norway. She thought is was such a beautiful ship. 2010 was her last cruise and Norway continued to be the most elegant ship in her opinion.

Edited by Susie51

The SS Norway was my first cruise in 1986. In fact, we were on the week after NBC Today sailed. Nothing today compares to the service or quality of food. My husband and I sailed two more times on her. The last being on our 18th anniversary in 2002, several months before she had a fire that ended her service. They say she had been remodeled in 2002 but she looked the same to me.

My sister-in-law and husband were scheduled to sail on the Norway the day they had the boiler explosion. Very sad...

She is on the list of ships I wish I had sailed on, along with the last two ships operated by Commodore Cruise Lines...

The Norway was our first cruise in 1987. What a wonderful introduction to cruising and I'm so glad that my daughters had the opportunity to experience the joys of "fine" cruising. Formal dinners, cheese courses!, servers wearing white gloves, afternoon "Tea", the scorching heat of the beautiful teak decks and so many more wonderful memories. That kind of cruising is pretty much gone forever. It makes me so sad to think of what became of this beautiful ship.

Yes thanks again for the youtube videos. The S.S. Norway was a wonderful ship. So many memories just with my family. We wanted to sail on her in 2000. There was a Jazz cruise during the time so we could not afford her then. Booked her in 2003 with the whole family and loved her charm and grace. My kids are grown up now and have sailed on other NCL ships. The S.S. Norway is their favorite hands down.

Just watching an old movie from 1962 called "Two Tickets to Paris" a twist film. But the two singers are going to Paris on the s.s. France!! Great opening to the movie with shots of the France and her wonderful smokestacks and some beautiful deck shots as well!!

I guess I am in the minority here. I am glad that ship is just a memory now. Yes the ship was classic and had beauty in certain aspects such as the grandball room, but things change. Do we like to drive new cars,have new house 'and new clothes? Just like we have new ships with new options. Restaurants on board, more eating options, more entertainment options.

The sad part is they kept trying to keep her afloat and it resulted in death of some crew members.

Edited by cocoabeachcruiser

I guess I am in the minority here. I am glad that ship is just a memory now. Yes the ship was classic and had beauty in certain aspects such as the grandball room, but things change. Do we like to drive new cars,have new house 'and new clothes? Just like we have new ships with new options. Restaurants on board, more eating options, more entertainment options.

The sad part is they kept trying to keep her afloat and it resulted in death of some crew members.

I don't know....I think there's a place for both. I lived in a 100 year old house for 30 years (well, it was 130 by the time we left), and I loved every crazy, out-of-date inch of it; but now I'm happy in a new condo. I'd love to have the option of traditional cruising, along with more casual, depending on your mood. Traditional cruising is still out there - but usually at a price I can't afford.

I'm waiting patiently for NCL to bring back skeet shooting and hitting golf balls off the side of the ship :D :p

We did both on our Norway cruise. This was our first cruise and what a great introduction to the joys of cruising. Even though I love every cruise, nothing can ever match our experience on the Norway. Everything just seemed so majestic and sophisticated.

My very first cruise was on the SS Norway in 1991 when my grandparents took my cousin and myself on a Caribbean cruise. I loved it! I was just a kid then so I didn't know what cruising was all about. I remember watching them skeet shooting off the boat and was amazed. I would love to be able to do that now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I started cruising in the late 60's on NCL's "white ships". And to think that the Starward & Skyward were a big deal back then. When I finally got to sail on the ss Norway, I got a glimpse of the grandeur of ocean travel (even if it was island hopping in the Caribbean). With it's glass enclosed promenade on Int'l Deck (especially breathtaking when bedecked with a dozen or so themed Christmas trees during the holidays); the 2-story Club Int'l with marble statues & columns, those elegant staircases descending into the dining rooms. She was such a beauty in her heyday.

I think they may be been the first to offer optional specialty dining in Le Bistro. That was truly haute cuisine. Sailing her was like living a fairy tale; & I was blessed to sail her many more times. Being a rabid Wheel of Fortune fan, I was one of the first to book the Wheel of Fortune cruise in 1990. They held tryouts onboard; & I was so nervous that I failed the first round test. But it was a thrill to see Vanna out & about onboard. Pat didn't sail with us because his wife was expecting a baby at any second.

I love all cruising; but I'll take the sleek ocean liner body over today's ginormous, boxy behemoths any day. Nothing looks quite so graceful as a long pointy bow & tapered stern slicing through the ocean waves. I will continue to miss her.