Blog: What Makes a True Cunarder?

LauraS

Well, first I believe you have to apply and, mind, there will be an application fee. ...Then, there is the rigorous screen process. Then, don't you have to be dubbed something by someone?

Naw, there is a kennel onboard and even the dogs can be Cunarders after a single crossing.

It isn't a club. It's a state of mind. It doesn't take so very much money. Something like 22 % of the staterooms on theQM2 are inside cabins.

It's probably an addict more than anything else. More than one personality type is susceptible. There is no 12-step program, although there can be a lot of dancing steps along the way.

Yes, there is a secret handshake, which you can only learn onboard in the Commadore…

Or, is it a new marketing term that we noticed on our last brochure?

I think I could have added my two pennies worth to the blog written.

I have been a so called Cunarder since the 1980’s when I first took a Cunard cruise with my late mother.

I had originally been introduced to QE2 in 1981 in New York when she was in port at the start of her world cruise.

I was working at the time on The famous Holland America liner the Rotterdam V.

We were docked next to each other.

I went onboard QE2 to visit a work mate. You could do that in those days. I was not impressed with QE2 in those days as the Rotterdam was far more fabulous! So much so that when Stephan Payne designed QM2 he used many of the lines and style from the Rotterdam.

Later I began cruising as a passenger and it was the Cunard Countess that I had my first trip on with dear mother.

Since then I have sailed on QE2 and all the three present day Queens.

I was the maiden world of QV and QE and I did the QM2 circumnavigation of Australia world cruise in 2012. I have just completed 118 days on QE round the world voyage.

I think what makes me a Cunarder is the fact I like the old style of cruising. The glamour days of the great liners and the style and elegance of a ship. You still find this on a Cunard ship.

I know things are different nowadays, but I still carry on the traditions of dressing up for dinner and dressing in theme for dinner whilst in port. I dress for cocktails at lunch time

( although the parties are not as plentiful these days)

I love the elegance of Cunard. The way the head waiter walks me to my table each evening, and the way you are treated as a special person.

I am a great ambassador for Cunard and on my recent world cruise I sang the praises of the cruise daily in my blog that I wrote of my adventures around the world.

I have tried a different shipping line for a world cruise and it was dire, No one does world cruising as well as Cunard! So for me I am a Cunarder As I am their number one fan.

You can catch up on my round the world adventures on a different forum.

Www dot cruise dot co dot uk

Search for maggiemou’s adventures. They start off in Southampton and end up in Southampton after visiting 40 ports which I have written about and 23 countries. So yes, I am a Cunarder and proud of I!

Should a true Cunarder have the capacity to both down Pol Acker to the last dribble and then complain endlessly about being giving it FOR FREE?

Now we're making progress! I think you've started a theme there that could evolve quite entertainingly.

J

Another characteristic of the true Cunarder is an ability to mystify others with patient explanations of the dress code, while-- at the same time-- dressing just like "normal folk" (no insult intended) themselves.

See Ocean Terminal, Southampton May 9, 2014 (sorry, I don't know how to make photos appear in a larger size)

noname.jpg.186b857cd5307441744c9ed13bcfac7a.jpg

noname-1.jpg.c0e403bcbbe289a01f47182f8195b1d6.jpg

Hey Brigitte,

Should I start a thread "what is a unique Cunarder?"

I think I much prefer all the many, many unique Cunarders I have met (on-ship and online)…

They are who have made each and every Cunard-day live in my heart.

…Pass the Pol Acker before you answer : )

black hull, red and black funnel

I agree. A Cunarder is iron and steel imbued with a 175 years of history and tradition. I am not a Cunarder, nor can I ever be one. I am a being that greatly enjoys passage on a Cunard ship though, and have done so numerous times.

I agree. A Cunarder is iron and steel imbued with a 175 years of history and tradition. I am not a Cunarder, nor can I ever be one. I am a being that greatly enjoys passage on a Cunard ship though, and have done so numerous times.

Yes, a Cunarder is a ship. We passengers are now called "Guests" or worse, Cunardists.:eek::eek:

Yes, a Cunarder is a ship. We passengers are now called "Guests" or worse, Cunardists.:eek::eek:

"Guests" instead of passengers and "front desk" instead of Pursers all came in with the concept of the "floating hotel." On QM2 I love to stand in the 2 or 3 deck hallways by the murals, where you can hear and feel the engine vibrations. It reminds me that she is, in fact, a SHIP--a magnificent machine, not a hotel.

I haven't heard "Cunardist." I guess it's marginally better than "Cunardista."

A ship? Not a passenger (or guest)? Not a human who is a fan of the Cunard line?

I am confused and chagrined and retract some of what I posted on this thread…

Forgive my ignorance. I do learn a lot from the CC board, but not all at once…