Creme Brulee anyone??

Alaska Lily

I only like the crispy bit on the top of Creme Brulee - sort of like toasted marshmallows' date=' I only like the crispy outside. I know, I'm a food heathen.....:D[/quote']

My name is Debby - I am a food heathen! perfect description

Thanks so much to you for the information! I am glad to know I won't need to spend too much time foraging and she'll be thrilled. You seasoned cruisers offer us novices a wealth of information and it is all appreciated!:D

Be sure to take all credit for the creme brulee being available at least most nights so your niece will keep you in the happy position of 'favorite aunt'. :) Hope you all have a great cruise.

Thank you for your clarification. The last thing I would do is to question the veracity of, or offend, any of the more frequent posters.

Just because the decadent dessert is available does not mean you have to eat it. Lots of other desserts have a reduced calorie/cholesterol version. Why not this one?

Is that flaming dish a photo taken on a HAL ship? :confused:

I never noticed them flaming it at a table and that water glass does not look like a glass HAL uses?

Be sure to take all credit for the creme brulee being available at least most nights so your niece will keep you in the happy position of 'favorite aunt'. :) Hope you all have a great cruise.

Is that flaming dish a photo taken on a HAL ship? :confused:

I never noticed them flaming it at a table and that water glass does not look like a glass HAL uses?

I believe host Walt was the one who posted that picture originally on this thread.

Just a note about Cruise Critic protocols to clear up some apparent confusion. Posts can be edited and/or deleted only within 15 minutes after posting.
Actually the editing can be done for 20 minutes. :D

edited at 20 minutes

Edited by jtl513

I'm not really familiar with Erythritol. It looks like it's a sugar alcohol. Have you ever used it before?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It's in a lot of foods that are designed to be low carb replacements for sweeter versions. It's roughly 70% as sweet as sugar, and people often spike it with Stevia to make up the difference.

It is indeed a sugar alcohol. It's got a glycemic index of basically zero. People on Amazon seem to like the Now Foods brand.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Zaandam on the 30th. Creme Brulé was not offered at all in the main dining room. I ate there every night and approached each evening with the anticipation that crème brûlée would be on the menu but alas it never was. Apparently you can get it in the pinnacle grill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just got off the Zaandam on the 30th. Creme Brulé was not offered at all in the main dining room. I ate there every night and approached each evening with the anticipation that crème brûlée would be on the menu but alas it never was. Apparently you can get it in the pinnacle grill.

Oh noooooooooooooo! I'm so sorry to hear that :(

Did you ask them to see if it was available off menu?

Do you suppose we will start seeing notices from the cruise lines about the worldwide shortage of brulees due to the severe winter weather last year? :D

As the OP on this thread, this is not good news!:eek: I already have my niece psyched up for a bounty of brulee! Hopefully the Oosterdam will come through and there will not be a shortage because of the harsh winter.;)

As the OP on this thread, this is not good news!:eek: I already have my niece psyched up for a bounty of brulee! Hopefully the Oosterdam will come through and there will not be a shortage because of the harsh winter.;)

I've given up refined sugar for the last three weeks and plan to do so until the cruise. I've been treating it like lent, with the understanding that there would be crème brulee at the end of it.

I agree that this is not good news. Volendam cooks, are you listening? I would like crème brulee.

Sending psychic waves of thought to the cruise line for both me and Alaska Lily.

Good job I'm dieting now before my 22 night Noordam cruise in 7 weeks! Love creme brûlée. Not normally a fan of choc brownies but they sound delicious :)

I think crenelated brûlée is on the available daily menu.

Just need to look on the other pat of the menu

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I know you were a victim of your phone's spell correct, but the post made me laugh. :D

Crenelated: having repeated square indentations like those in a battlement; "a crenelated molding"

I was hoping crenellated meant that there was more crisp sugar because of the folds and that HAL had developed something new 😊. It also made me smile because I did suspect autocorrect. The alternative is more fun though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

So here is the answer about the crème brûlée on the Veendam. It is not on our every day menu. I did ask my server about it though and now have a standing order for it every night for the rest of this cruise. Had it last night and it was yummy. :)

So here is the answer about the crème brûlée on the Veendam. It is not on our every day menu. I did ask my server about it though and now have a standing order for it every night for the rest of this cruise. Had it last night and it was yummy. :)

Sherilyn for the win!!!

Last fall when on the Maasdam there was no creme brulee listed on the Dining Room menu. After making a comment to our server regarding "no creme brulee", we were told to just order it. We did, and it was available for us thereafter. Love that dessert!!

Marianne