Eastern Caribbean Cruise - best snorkeling?

Angela7500

My husband and I are going on a Princess cruise next February for my 40th birthday! We love snorkeling and would like to do at least two snorkeling trips during our 10 day cruise. The ports are St Kitts, Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, St Thomas, and Grand Turk. We are definitely planning to go snorkeling in St Thomas as we have been there before and know that the snorkeling is great. Out of the other ports, which would you say is the best option for our other snorkeling trip?

And for St Thomas, we're thinking Coki or making the trip over to St John- thoughts?

Thank you!

We snorkeled a bit in Antigua, and while the water was beautiful and clear, we didn't think there was really that much to see at the spots the trip took us. However, snorkeling was a secondary goal of the trip, so maybe they weren't great spots.

Is there any good snorkeling from the shore at any of these ports? Not sure we want to do a catamaran trip.

There is decent shore snorkeling at St Thomas' sister island, St John. Trunk Bay is the most popular. Your ship will offer a tour, but a do it yourself is easy.

Cruise critic doesn't allow a direct link.

enter: www dot vinow dot com, Or Google it.

I don't think the other islands have good shore snorkeling. If I'm wrong, maybe someone wll enlighten us.

Edited by Stevesan

I've heard Grand Turk has some good snorkeling. Will find out in Jan when wife/I go there for the first time. Also, a national reserve off of Freeport is very pretty. Other than that, I've been pretty disappointed with the Eastern Caribbean. But maybe that is because we snorkeled off of Belize on the first cruise along the barrier reef... :)

Steve

Is there any good snorkeling from the shore at any of these ports? Not sure we want to do a catamaran trip.

In St. Thomas, we like to snorkel Sapphire Beach. It's easier than going over to Trunk Bay and I think the snorkeling is better. In fact, if we're ever on St. John again, we're going to try somewhere else... Trunk Bay is nothing special and just too crowded. :p Sapphire Beach is much quieter, so the fish seem to hang around more. If you need amenities, they have a dive shop with gear rentals, 5$ lounge chairs, and drink service up and down the beach. :) Also, it's on St. Thomas's local Safari route, so rides can be had for a dollar or two... if you're not afraid to travel with the locals. ;)

All that being said, snorkeling is pretty weather dependent. You may want to go wherever conditions are best that day. :cool:

Wife/I snorkeled at Sapphire last Dec. It was "ok" when you compare it with places like Belize and Roatan (Caribbean Barrier Reef). Coral was sparse, did see some fish and a manta ray. Nice scenery from the beach but if I snorkel again in St Thomas, I will try a different spot. Not sure how it compares with Trunk Bay, but from my opinion, not a lot of good spots that I've found snorkeling in the East Carib.

Steve

My husband and I are going on a Princess cruise next February for my 40th birthday! We love snorkeling and would like to do at least two snorkeling trips during our 10 day cruise. The ports are St Kitts, Barbados, Antigua, St Lucia, St Thomas, and Grand Turk. We are definitely planning to go snorkeling in St Thomas as we have been there before and know that the snorkeling is great. Out of the other ports, which would you say is the best option for our other snorkeling trip?

And for St Thomas, we're thinking Coki or making the trip over to St John- thoughts?

Thank you!

We just came back from Coki and yes, it was pretty amazing. I did a full review with TONS of pictures of the snorkeling there. It had a lot of colorful coral and fish. Some of the best.

You can click on my link in my signature line for St Thomas, Coki and go to the post count listed. It's pages long of pictures...so be aware, you might not be at the end when you think you are. :D

Mistu,

Thanks for the comments about Coki. Going to St Thomas in a few months and may try that out. Went to Sapphire the last time we were there (Dec 2013) and it was "ok".

Since you've been to Belize (I hope snorkeling), how does Coki compare to that?

Steve

Mistu,

Thanks for the comments about Coki. Going to St Thomas in a few months and may try that out. Went to Sapphire the last time we were there (Dec 2013) and it was "ok".

Since you've been to Belize (I hope snorkeling), how does Coki compare to that?

Steve

The one thing that I haven't done in Belize is snorkeling. :( And I probably never will until my little one gets much older since you pretty much have to do a snorkel tour in order to go to the reefs there. I really prefer snorkeling from the beach with my little one and she has been snorkeling for 3 years now (even out in the ocean on tours), but it just still makes me uncomfortable for some reason. Maybe some day. :)

Mitsu, while doing the excursions, especially the ones with a larger group, you will find that some are very poor snorkelers/swimmers. I am sure your daughter is much better than these adults. However, what you will face are the ocean currents (not too bad) and the waves if it is a windier day. Last time we did the ocean excursion the waves were about 3 feet... a bit rough to snorkel.

Steve

Mitsu, while doing the excursions, especially the ones with a larger group, you will find that some are very poor snorkelers/swimmers. I am sure your daughter is much better than these adults. However, what you will face are the ocean currents (not too bad) and the waves if it is a windier day. Last time we did the ocean excursion the waves were about 3 feet... a bit rough to snorkel.

Steve

Yea we have been snorkeling a few times when the ocean was not cooperating as much as I'd like to. The last time we went to Grand Cayman, they actually had the sand bar closed because of the high winds and waves. But they still took us snorkeling there at the reef and they put a long line out to help everyone hold on to while snorkeling. Our daughter did pretty good and I was impressed. She quickly lost interest in seeing the fish when a ray appeared and they brought it up. So, she was left battling holding on to the rope and touching the stingray. But they took good care of her. She's a daredevil and nothing scares her....which scares me especially in those conditions. Eventually we did end up at the sand bar and it was one of the best days ever...even with the high waves. :)

However, I'm now maybe considering a combo tour with a snorkel to the barrier reef there at at Ambergris Cay and shark ray alley (because I can only imagine the excitement my daughter would get with that one) in November. So, we'll see. :D

then you should be fine... best snorkel I had at Belize is when they split the group into newbies and experienced swimmers... made it much more enjoyable. I hope you get to do this excursion and your daughter enjoys it.

Thank you!

My experience at St. Kitts has not been very good, it is not noted to be a great snorkeling island. Barbados, without breaking the bank, I would go to Folkstone Beach which is a locals' beach and go out with one of the snorkel boats from there. St Thomas, some of the best snorkeling I have had is at Coki Beach, get off the ship early and get one of the jitney taxis....when you enter the water go to the left toward Coral World, you won't be disappointed. Trunk Bay on St Johns is a lovely setting but plan that you will be about $60 each by the time you take 4 cabs and the ferry trip...the bay's bottom is white coral sand and if there is wind and the water is rough the water gets very cloudy and it's not worth the trip. St. Lucia, I had a great snorkel excursion with Island Divers who operate out of the Ti Kaye Resort http://www.tikaye.com/diving/ Grand Turk, the snorkeling is just a little to far off the beach for many; I have used Blue Water Divers http://www.grandturkscuba.com/index.htm and the ships snorkel package. If you are stopping at Princess Cays there is some terrific snorkeling off the Off Shore Pavilion....again get off the ship and in the water as early as you can.