A Different Reason for A Table for Two

MouseGal

One reason I haven't seen anyone address in all the "Tables for Two" threads...I have a couple of serious food allergies, and sharing a table with others is a real inconvenience to them! Should I expect strangers to wait while I deal with the waitstaff during every meal, negotiating the difficulties of a gluten free, dairy free meal? No, going to the buffet isn't an option - all it takes is one person using the tongs to pick up bread and then putting them into the vegetables, and I get to lose a day of my vacation in my cabin, in misery. No thank you.

On our upcoming cruise, we're scheduled for ATD, but the Dietary Requests department instructed me to speak to the Maitre D' as soon as we board about my needs. I'm wondering if that might make it possible for us to at least get the same two-top every night...Anyone out there with experience here?

I would think if you had an assigned dining time each night and you talked to the Maitre d about your needs, they should be able to accommodate you and have the same table each night. No, the buffet isn't for everyone. Good luck to you.

Edited by gator582

I have severe food allergies, and in my cruise on the Grand ( just returned last weekend) the heads waiter would bring me the next days menus for lunch and dinner, and I would choose. That way, they would prepare the meals in a separate part of the kitchen to avoid cross contamination, and I had many more choices that way. We had trad. dining for dinner, but for lunch we would sit anywhere, let the waiter know my cabin number, and all was good.

See the Matre'd when you board, staff is usually available to discuss table assignments on the first day in the late afternoon in one diningroom.

Whether you are at a table for 2 or more, the Matre'd and/or head waiter will bring you the menu the night before, after you finish your meal, so you can discuss and select what you will eat for the following evening. This way it will not take time or have others at your table wait while you fiqure out your order. This is done all the time for a wide variety of reasons. My DH special orders this way every evening.

You shouldn't have to explain more than once as long as you talk to the Maitre d' and let your waitstaff know. It sounds to me like for your comfort level, Traditional dining might be the better choice because once you explain, the Maitre d' will come to your table (no matter whether it's for two or eight) and bring you the next day's menus. You can check everything out and when he comes back, you can order either from the menu, ask for modifications or ask for something completely different.

I've cruised several times with a friend who has a life-threatening allergy to shellfish. We are usually at a large table and the Maitre d' and waitstaff are aware of her allergy. It's never been a problem or an issue. My daughter also has a shellfish allergy and while it's not life-threatening, is nasty and she's never had a problem either.

This is one of the reasons DH and I prefer a table for two. Each night the head waiter brings us the lunch and dinner menus for the next day and talks to us about what can be prepared gluten-free. Sometimes we talk about breakfast too, if DH want GF pancakes...but usually he just wants eggs and bacon and fruit. It takes some time each night. We always get ATD and have always been able to get same table each night. We have never had a problem in the main dining room for breakfast or lunch.

DH would not want to be doing all this in front of table mates. He would not want to have to explain (or decline to explain) what celiac disease is and what happens if he eats gluten. And he would not want to slow down anyone else's meal. We have never had a problem with DH getting gluten in his food on Princess in the dining rooms. However, we had a close call at the buffet. They suggest you ask for help at the buffet, but it doesn't always work; he was given a sugar-free muffin (that was kept in the back) and told it was gluten-free. I realized it looked very different than the gluten-free muffin we had at breakfast, so I asked them to double check. We no longer go the the buffet except maybe for dry salad, fruit, and cheese.

When we sailed eating a vegan diet, our food rarely took any longer to arrive than anyone else as they knew ahead of time what we were going to order! You look at the menu the night before and arrange your meal. Very easy and we really loved the food! No inconvenience to any of your table mates (though in our case we sat at a table for 2 at anytime dining).

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I have severe food allergies, and in my cruise on the Grand ( just returned last weekend) the heads waiter would bring me the next days menus for lunch and dinner, and I would choose. That way, they would prepare the meals in a separate part of the kitchen to avoid cross contamination, and I had many more choices that way. We had trad. dining for dinner, but for lunch we would sit anywhere, let the waiter know my cabin number, and all was good.

We are thinking of taking our granddaughter who not only has Celiac's but an allergy to dairy and eggs, on a cruise next year.

I'm very glad to read that your food was prepared in a separate part of the kitchen because cross-contamination is a big problem for her!

Question- what did you do on port days when there was no lunch in the dining room?

When I had put down a low cholesterol diet for my hubby (when he was borderline), it wasn't a big deal or time consuming. The head waiter would come over with the menu for the next night and he would select his entree. I don't remember our tablemates asking about that. I guess if you do share a table in traditional dining and had requested a special diet, you can chose to mention the reason or not to the others. It's just like any other question (your job, etc.).

I almost had a problem with the buffet a few cruises ago. Took some stir fry, went to sit down, and noticed the little pink shrimp that I'm terribly allergic to. Pushed it aside and got something else. I did complain on my comment card at the end of the cruise that the items in the buffet need to be labeled better for potential allergens (shellfish, nuts, etc.).

On our next cruise, when our waiter was going through his recommendations spiel, I told him not to expect any seafood orders from me as I'm allergic to shellfish. Just minutes later, the head waiter popped up at our table and I assured him I'll be okay as I know things like shrimp would be identified on the menu. If they know you have an allergy, you'll be taken care of.

Which isn't always the case (there's a Japanese place in our local mall's food court that hubby likes to get a combo for us...I always remove the fried coating from the veggies as sometimes a worker will use the same tongs for the shrimp as the veggies... to avoid cross contamination...my daughter is a major Panda Express fan, but I rarely get myself food there, but certainly not the egg rolls as the server will use the same tongs as the fried shrimp. I even once mentioned that to one server there and got a blank stare in return).

My daughter has Celiac's and is ultra sensitive to cross contamination. We have sailed Princess 2x and they handled it superbly. She noted her restrictions on the cruise personalizer, and spoke to the head waiter the first night ( one time traditional, one time anytime).each night she was brought the menu for the next night's meal. Didn't matter whether we had a shared table or a two top, after all, I ate with her as did our large family group on our first Princess cruise, and none of us are gluten free. Third cruise with Princess is already booked!

We were once seated with two other couples at an ATD table. Two of the four had food allergies. At the end of the meal, the Maitre'D brought the two people the next day's menu and reviewed their options. Until that moment, there wasn't anything of note about the service that made them feel conspicuous. In fact, they praised the dining room and kitchen staff for their attentiveness and delicious meals. They also raved about the flourless chocolate dessert.

It wasn't a problem, delay or an embarrassment for any of us. Do what makes you feel most comfortable but don't let it hold you back!

This is one of the reasons DH and I prefer a table for two. Each night the head waiter brings us the lunch and dinner menus for the next day and talks to us about what can be prepared gluten-free. Sometimes we talk about breakfast too, if DH want GF pancakes...but usually he just wants eggs and bacon and fruit. It takes some time each night. We always get ATD and have always been able to get same table each night. We have never had a problem in the main dining room for breakfast or lunch.

DH would not want to be doing all this in front of table mates. He would not want to have to explain (or decline to explain) what celiac disease is and what happens if he eats gluten. And he would not want to slow down anyone else's meal. We have never had a problem with DH getting gluten in his food on Princess in the dining rooms. However, we had a close call at the buffet. They suggest you ask for help at the buffet, but it doesn't always work; he was given a sugar-free muffin (that was kept in the back) and told it was gluten-free. I realized it looked very different than the gluten-free muffin we had at breakfast, so I asked them to double check. We no longer go the the buffet except maybe for dry salad, fruit, and cheese.

Thank you -- I think you understand perfectly! :) And with gluten and casein (dairy) both, it's doubly complicated. It isn't as easy as just avoiding one food group like shellfish - it's looking at preparation methods like nothing being cooked in butter too...

Before your cruise, contact Marisa Sanders

dietaryrequest@princesscruises.com (661) 284-4450

She handles special diet needs

I've exchanged several emails with the dietary requests department, and they've been very responsive, even asking what type of milk substitute I want on board! And thank you for the phone number - I didn't have that contact.

I've exchanged several emails with the dietary requests department, and they've been very responsive, even asking what type of milk substitute I want on board! And thank you for the phone number - I didn't have that contact.

Glad I could help.

The name & number came with this list for Meet & Greets.

My wife has many many food allergies. She does not have Celiac or requires gluten free foods. Hers is a general allergy to most foods. Common foods she cannot tolerate are turkey, chicken, potatoes and corn products which includes corn meal, corn syrup, corn starch. Corn is in many prepared dishes. Only fruit she can eat are apples. Most desserts are a no no.

Anyway for 2-3 years, as has been mention here by others, she arranged with the Head Waiter to go over the next evenings menu. This does not hold the table up more than a couple of minutes. Everyone we sat with was always very understanding and patient.

Now when we go to dinner on a cruise she knows what she can and cannot order herself. Occasionally there may be something on the menu she's unfamiliar with. All it takes is a brief conversation with the Head Waiter.

What do all of you people do on port days when there is no MDR lunch?

I don't have an allergy but I don't eat shellfish and MANY times I've had a waiter or the serving person in the buffet tell me that something has no shellfish, only to get to my seat and find (with my fork) that there IS shellfish.

Also had the same experience with meat, which I also don't eat.

People with Celiac's would get REALLY sick in this situation. :(

We found there were enough things in the buffet that we could easily get by eating vegan. I think it would be tougher with an allergy like celiac. I have seen head waiters up in the buffet during lunch time so they would def be able to help with ingredients more than a random server. Some items are available in the kitchen at the buffet if you just ask, like soy milk. It isn't out on the counter but it is always available!

What do all of you people do on port days when there is no MDR lunch?

I don't have an allergy but I don't eat shellfish and MANY times I've had a waiter or the serving person in the buffet tell me that something has no shellfish, only to get to my seat and find (with my fork) that there IS shellfish.

Also had the same experience with meat, which I also don't eat.

People with Celiac's would get REALLY sick in this situation. :(

I always carry a packet or two of Justin's peanut butter with me, so if I can find a piece of fresh fruit, I'm good to go. I can make lunch out of that if I need to. We're doing a British Isles cruise this summer, and I know that port days may mean a "pub lunch" for hubby...probably won't have a lot of options for me. Definitely isn't worth losing a day of my trip because I couldn't wait a few hours to eat.

We found there were enough things in the buffet that we could easily get by eating vegan. I think it would be tougher with an allergy like celiac. I have seen head waiters up in the buffet during lunch time so they would def be able to help with ingredients more than a random server. Some items are available in the kitchen at the buffet if you just ask, like soy milk. It isn't out on the counter but it is always available!

I guess my biggest concern with the buffet would be cross-contamination. Someone using the tongs from the bread to pick up fruit next to it, or a spoon from vegetables to dip something with a sauce. Unfortunately, most people don't think in terms of allergies when they're just enjoying the buffet. (And no reason why they should, really)

I guess my biggest concern with the buffet would be cross-contamination. Someone using the tongs from the bread to pick up fruit next to it, or a spoon from vegetables to dip something with a sauce. Unfortunately, most people don't think in terms of allergies when they're just enjoying the buffet. (And no reason why they should, really)

Oh for sure, I would be concerned too! Maybe there is a way of arranging with the head waiter to get food brought out directly from the kitchen area? Or maybe people with allergies avoid the buffet and stick with the grill/pizza/international cafe/room service where passengers aren't able to touch the food.

My dd (Celiac's) was a regular at the buffet. I think, on several occasions, she asked for a fresh serving utensil, when she feared cross contamination. She didn't eat things that were the least bit suspect but managed to find enough to satisfy her.