First Time Cruiser with Children. Help!

My parents surprised me yesterday by telling me they booked a cruise for Feb. for themselves and my family. I have three children age ten and under. Although my parents have cruised before this is a first for myself and family. After asking mom countless questions she suggested I post on cruise critic. I will open my own account but for now I have hijacked hers. Here goes:

My mom will celebrate a birthday while on the cruise. Can I arrange a cake or something for her?

My children rarely drink soda, but if they have some on the cruise (and I know they will) should I purchase a soft drink package for each of them? If so, does anyone know the cost?

Do the children have to eat off a children's menu or can they order from the regular menu? They are very good eaters and like a variety of foods.

If I sign them up for Adventure Ocean are their specific activities they should attend or can they be "dropped off" for shorter periods of time.

The cruise is to the Caribbean. Will the children need passports or will a passport card do?

I know I have a lot of questions but any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Soda packages for kids are $4.50 per day, plus 15%. Individual cans of soda are $2.88.

Kids (and adults) can order off the regular or children's menu.

Edited by clarea

I can answer a few questions: I believe you can request a birthday cake. Talk to the maitre'd when you board. The soda packages are very expensive....don't know if you would buy one for each or one for the whole family? I have never purchased one. The children can order off any menu they want. I have taken my kids several times and there is never a problem with that (that I know of.) The kids can be dropped off anytime the Adventure Ocean is open and picked up anytime before closing. I have heard if you leave and return to the same port, the children don't need passports, just birth certificates.

Cakes can be order before your cruise through the planner. If you let the dining staff know they will bring a dessert with a candle and sing happy birthday. If you want the cake you will have to purchase it.

Soda packages are worth it if you think the kids will drink more than a couple of sodas a day. They are per person. Clarea posted the rates above.

Kids can eat off of whichever menus they find something to try. Also, adults can eat off of the kids menu if desired!!

The only suggestion I would have for AO is to take the kids the first night. The older they are the more important this is as often kids make friends earlier in the cruise. From then on you can drop them off and pick them up as desired. You should get a daily compass for each age group the night before in your cabin showing the activities for the next day to help you decide.

We have found cruising is a great way for the family to travel. Enjoy your trip and come back here as you hit new questions. Someone will be willing to help you out.

Passports or passport cards will do fine. As a PP posted, children under 16 only need an original birth certificate. If you want to get them photo ID's, which are not required, your state DMV most likely has "state ID's" that are for those who do not have driver's licenses, and can be for any age.

Having said that, the above only applies to "closed loop" cruises, that start and end in the same US port. For these cruises, even adults do not require a passport. But if your cruise starts and ends in different US ports, you will need passports or passport cards.

Edited by chengkp75

There is a great resource here on Cruise Critic that deals specifically with family cruising. You have received some excellent answers already, but there are probably answers to questions you didn't even know you had here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

It deals with all cruise lines, but is very helpful.

Our kids have always loved Adventure Ocean and often wanted to stay for the late night hours. The charge is nominal and the kids had a fantastic time. We found the staff to be top notch and well trained.

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Everyone pretty well covered your questions, so I'll just add a couple things, if I may:

-- You may very well find that your children want to drink more soda over the cruise, just because it's there and because it's fun. Obviously, it's up to you as to how much. Our boys do not drink much soda, either, but they'll do it on the ship (we're typically more lenient about such things on vacation, since it's vacation), and we've always found the package worth it. If nothing else, it's a small expense for a small luxury that can add a great deal to the trip.

-- Since you have time, I highly recommend getting a passport for your kids. You never know when you'll want it, and it just makes things easier all around.

These are just tips, and they are worth exactly what you paid for them. :) We've had a number of great cruises with our boys, and they first sailed at the ripe old age of 1 and 4, respectively. Have fun! :)

D

My mom will celebrate a birthday while on the cruise. Can I arrange a cake or something for her?
Yes. you can order on the RCL website. You can also order b-day-themed room decorations.

My children rarely drink soda, but if they have some on the cruise (and I know they will) should I purchase a soft drink package for each of them? If so, does anyone know the cost?
My children were 6, 9, and 10 on our first family cruise. We did not order soda packages. We would occasionally get them a soda at dinner but they usually had milk or lemonade.

Do the children have to eat off a children's menu or can they order from the regular menu? They are very good eaters and like a variety of foods.
Children can order off either menu, adults can too!

If I sign them up for Adventure Ocean are their specific activities they should attend or can they be "dropped off" for shorter periods of time.
They can be dropped off and picked up at any time. You'll have the schedule of activities so you can see when the kids would like to go (or not go).

The cruise is to the Caribbean. Will the children need passports or will a passport card do?
We went ahead and got passports, but it isn't required.

Passports or passport cards will do fine. As a PP posted, children under 16 only need an original birth certificate. If you want to get them photo ID's, which are not required, your state DMV most likely has "state ID's" that are for those who do not have driver's licenses, and can be for any age.

Having said that, the above only applies to "closed loop" cruises, that start and end in the same US port. For these cruises, even adults do not require a passport. But if your cruise starts and ends in different US ports, you will need passports or passport cards.

So are you saying that if we start and end at Port Canaveral we do not need a passport? I always thought we went through customs because we left the country and needed a passport.

This would be a big I wanted to pay for DH mom to cruise but didn't want the hassle of passport.

Passport cards are only good for land and sea border crossings. They won't do any good if you have to fly. Sometimes people get sick or miss the ship for whatever reason and have to fly home or fly to the next port. Only a passport book will work for that.

Birth certificates are OK IF the person was born in the U.S. and has a state issued birth certificate AND the ship departs and returns to the same U.S. port. This is called a closed loop cruise.

Adventure Ocean - you can drop off and pick up your child at any time. Adventure Ocean charges about $6/child ONLY after 10 pm. Every other time it's included in your fare.

As someone else said, the soda package is worth it if you will drink more than 2 sodas per day. There's a lovely reuseable drink cup that is included with the soda package. (you don't need the cup to use the package)

So are you saying that if we start and end at Port Canaveral we do not need a passport? I always thought we went through customs because we left the country and needed a passport.

This would be a big I wanted to pay for DH mom to cruise but didn't want the hassle of passport.

Closed loop cruises are exempt from the passport requirement for US born US citizens.

Correct, if you are a US citizen, you can get by with a certified copy of a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID on a closed end cruise based in the US.

Edited by clarea

CBP has granted an exception for "closed loop" cruises that only call on ports in the Western Hemisphere. Adults can sail on a government issued photo ID (driver's license) and an original birth certificate (or consular record of birth overseas, or naturalization papers). Basically, one matches a face to a name, (photo ID)and the other proves citizenship (birth certificate). Further documentation that could be asked for by CBP, but generally is not, is a "bridge" document that ties the names on the two documents together (marriage, divorce, legal name change, adoption). Children under 16 only require the birth certificate. You can check the CBP website under "documents to take a cruise" for exact requirements. The cruise line websites also have the documentation required listed under FAQ. Alternatively, passport cards are acceptable for cruises, but not for international air travel.

As others have said, you can get away with just Birth Certificates for the kids. But there are reasons (also stated) for getting a passport.

When my daughter was 1 we went on a cruise and got her a passport. Now when we travel (fly) we use it because, besides the birth certificate, it is her only official ID. We find passports are easier as they fit into pockets and are "sturdier" then a piece of paper.

Besides, it is the cutest passport EVER! We always get comments at check-in and from the TSA at the security check-in when they see her passport. :)

To all who responded to my post I say a big Thank You! I will buy the soda package because it is reasonable and they are on vacation. I will get a cake for my mom because as my boys say "It's not a birthday without a cake." Thanks for your info on adventure ocean. It sounds like fun. I will also get passports for the kids because we have lots of time to do it. I am really looking forward to this vacation. My parents take one trip a year and I know they have been saving for this so that we can all go. The kids know nothing about this cruise. We will wait until Christmas to tell them. Thanks again for all your help.

Also for your 3 kids they will love the Adventure Ocean program

My DD has used this on all of her cruises except her 1st

All inclusive and if you fancy a late night they also have seatings from

10:00PM -02:00AM for $7 ph (rate just went up $1 recently)

We have always been impressed with the staff who fully look after the kids and

Keep them occupied

As you board get them all a wrist band and 1st afternnoon early evening go sign them up, they can use as much or as little as they please.

Also in cabin sitting is available, just remember to book day before.

Happy Days and enjoy your cruise :)

Link for RC kids programs

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentSiteletSub.do?pagename=family_kids&pagenameMain=main_family&discriminators=2

Edited by PompeySailor
Addition