Sad News from Bermuda

Horrible news. Was he riding a motor scooter or a bicycle? It says livery cycle. Since it mentions a pillion passenger, I assume it was a motor scooter.

Scootering is one of my favorite things to do on vacation, but given the all the warnings, and now this tragedy, I'll have to pass when in Bermuda. So sad. I bet the cruise back is rather somber.

Sorry, I had to look up pillion...

A pillion is a mostly British English term for a secondary pad, cushion, or seat behind the main seat or saddle on a horse, motorcycle, bicycle or moped.

Edited by $hip$hape

I think the fact that he veered suddenly and was complaining of chest pain lends itself to a heart attack, not necessarily a result of riding the bike.

Even so, very sad and condolences to his family.

I think the fact that he veered suddenly and was complaining of chest pain lends itself to a heart attack, not necessarily a result of riding the bike.

Even so, very sad and condolences to his family.

I was thinking the exact same.

Despite many warnings on the Bermuda board, there are still those that post there saying it is perfectly safe, even for beginners. Many have also posted their bad experiences but it still doens't deter some people, they are bound and determined todo it. The chances may be small that something happens as serious as a death but who wants to be that one person?

The speed limit may be only be about 20 miles per hour but the only ones doing that are the tourists who irritate the residents who have high powered bikes and will zoom in and out. Everyone seems to be in a hurry in their cars as well so they're not going 20mph either. It's had to pull over to let the speed demons go by because there is little to none as far as a shoulder or breakdown lane. I often wonder why they are in such a hurry with the island is so small.

Along with what US citizens consider driving on the wrong side of the road, there are also roundabouts that have specific rules for who has right of way and who must yield. That also adds to the confusing if you have not driven in a roundabout. One thing I don't understand is people saying they enjoy all the beautiful scenery along the way. How can they be looking around when they need to concentrate on the narrow, curvy roads while driving opposite what they are used to?

Have been to Bermuda many, many times on 3 different lines, all of which advised against renting scooters. On every cruise, we saw at least one person who had experienced Bermuda roads "up close and personal". You may feel you are be very vigilent but when someone comes around a curve over the center line and you have nowhere to go but into the sharp rock walls, there's a real problem.

Bottom line is, some are going to rent and ride no matter who and how many advise against it. I wish them well and hope they don't become a statistic.

I admit to riding a scooter, even posted a picture, but it was many years ago on one of the peddle start, antique ones by today's standards.;):) People did not drive as fast, there was less traffic and people were not impatient and in a hurry.

I'm very safety conscious for the greater part, would never own or run a motorcycle here in suburban Philadelphia, yet my times on a scooter in Bermuda have been among the best experiences in my life.

Having just watched my mother in law waste away of disease, and knowing that I too am going to leave somehow, well, you know where this is going....

This is just so tragic for the family. They just wanted to go out and enjoy themselves. I drive a MC and know well the dangers. I drive very defensivly. I will not drive a MC, scooter or bicycle in Bermuda due to driving on the wrong side of the road. I know I may really mess up and hurt myself or worse someone else.

Prayers for his loved ones.

there was actually a warning (aka "advice") not to rent scooters on any of the Hawaiian Islands in our POA "Daily" ---NCL made it pretty clear they are not safe.

I think unfamiliarity anywhere can be your worst enemy.

I was on the sailing this passenger was on when the incident occurred. People heard about the crash via locals in the newspaper on Friday. I was considering renting a scooter on Thursday in port but talked with a fellow on Wednesday night who rented one for the day on Wednesday and he told me the one he originally got from Oleander rentals in the Dockyard didn’t have working front brakes and was wobbly. He returned it and was given a more expensive model which worked fine for the same price. He cautioned me against going on them since I was a beginner. I’m rather glad he did caution me and I didn’t rent one and instead took the ferry to Hamilton and spent the day there.

My thoughts are with the family and I wish the 40 something passenger a speedy recovery.

I was 22 years old and stupid the first time I went to Bermuda more than 30 years ago. Despite that I am the worst driver in the history of time and had already by the ripe old age of 22 totaled two cars -- that should give you a clue - my then boyfriend and I rented scooters. He was an experienced motorcycle rider. I was not. I lost control on the second day going around one of those circles, and ran into him, wiping us both out. Another car zipping around almost ran over us. Spent hours in the emergency room getting xrays and stitches and gravel cleaned out of my legs and arm and face. So did he. Had thousands of dollars of medical expenses, which at 22 I couldn't afford, and my parents had to wire me money. My insurance company eventually paid for most of it. Fortunately, we werent killed or hospitalized overnight, but it pretty much ended our vacation and we were so sore we pretty much just stayed at hotel the rest of week. A very expensive lesson. Never even tried to ride one again. Now, every time I hear folks say they are renting scooters, I just cringe remembering how much pain I was in and how lucky we were......

Terry