Sad News from Bermuda

DW and I are avid bicycle riders and always try to ride were traffic is the lightest. In many of the places we have toured it is clear to us that traffic is so bad that we would never ride our bikes on the roads.

As for motorcycles or motor scooters, that is even more dangerous.

This is just so tragic for the family. They just wanted to go out and enjoy themselves. I drive a MC and know well the dangers. I drive very defensivly. I will not drive a MC, scooter or bicycle in Bermuda due to driving on the wrong side of the road. I know I may really mess up and hurt myself or worse someone else.

Prayers for his loved ones.

Our first trip to Bermuda was in the early 70s. We rode the old pedal to start mopeds all over the island with no problem. Our second trip was in 2007. I tried to master the current motorbikes, but age does bad things to one's reflexes. Plus, traffic was a whole lot heavier than I remembered from the first trip.

On our first trip we were having drinks in the hotel bar one night. There was a woman in an elegant white dress with a crutch, arm in a sling and a nasty bruise on the side of her face. She was within a hundred yards of the hotel when she went off the edge of the road and hit a rock.

Think I'll stick to the bus this time.

Sad, but that's why everyone tells you not to ride those bikes anymore.

5th death this year or basically once a month

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for this stat- going to share with family and friends considering scooters on our Dawn cruise next month.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thoughts & prayers - having been on the islands a few times, I must say that those roads are often narrow with plenty of turns, curves and driving on the left made it "slightly" more challenging, especially come into those rotaries. Road signs are, generally, considered non-existent in many instances.

Even at Royal Dockyard, adventurous visitors can rent these supposingly low-power motor scooters or bikes after a quick optional "how to" lesson. The island-wide speed limit is just 35 km/h(about 20 mph), lowered in town other congested areas. How fast could they've been going when they crossed the roadway & into the wall, as there're no eyewitness to the day time accident?

Cruiselines have been citing these in cautioning & advising passengers to not do it, for safety & other reasons, but ... When we're on the Crown a few years ago, one of those onboard returned to NYC from Bermuda with a set of crutches & some nasty facial bruises.

Horrible news. Was he riding a motor scooter or a bicycle? It says livery cycle. Since it mentions a pillion passenger, I assume it was a motor scooter.

Scootering is one of my favorite things to do on vacation, but given the all the warnings, and now this tragedy, I'll have to pass when in Bermuda. So sad. I bet the cruise back is rather somber.

So sorry for the family. Stories like this prevent me from using bikes or scooters. Except on Mackinac Island in Michigan where there are no motorized vehicles which includes scooters and motor cycles. Only the emergency vehicles are motorized.

Sad story. I been a motor cycle rider for 34 years. I've also been to Bermuda twice on the Gem and BA. Their is no way in heck I would ride anything in Bermuda. Both times there we saw people who had wrecked, not too bad just a lot of scraped legs, hands and arms. Narrow roads, tailgating buses………no thanks

The 60 years old was apparently doing the driving and the 40+ year old female was riding along - ambulance service reported that he was alive & verbal, complaining of chest pain (?? of his pre-existing medical history) when taken to local ED in the early afternoon, medical conditions rapaidly deterioriated & prognosis worsen, and was pronounced by the mid/late evening.

I don't believe those mopeds can go really that fast but the bigger motorcycles with bigger engine output - I can see them zooming past 40 km/h easily & it's never "pretty" smacking head-on into any fixed barriers even with helmet protection.

R.I.P.

Those motorbikes are crazy dangerous. It's not so much the bikes, it's the roads in Bermuda. Those concrete walls are everywhere. There isn't any room for error. It's too bad that people still rent them. :(
Never like to heard the bad news!:( The roads are event more dangerous with the sand on the roads!:eek:
Horrible news. Was he riding a motor scooter or a bicycle? It says livery cycle. Since it mentions a pillion passenger, I assume it was a motor scooter.

Scootering is one of my favorite things to do on vacation, but given the all the warnings, and now this tragedy, I'll have to pass when in Bermuda. So sad. I bet the cruise back is rather somber.

I too may now have to pass on Bermuda!:(;) Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

This is sad news indeed.

Last I saw, NCL specifically prints a warning on the front page of their Freestyle Daily newsletter warning people not to rent or ride motorscooters in Bermuda.

Having to drive unaccustomed on the left of the road isn't the only danger. Some roads have no shoulder, high hedges, walls, rolling hills, and sharp turns that obscure hidden driveways until the last minute leaving you split seconds to react if a car suddenly pulls out with little way to avoid or turn. You're at the mercy of the merging driver.

If you're still crazy enough to rent a motorscooter, then first ride the bus and see how potentially dangerous it is first hand. They don't sell "I survived the red line bus" t-shirts for nothing.

Edited by kylenyc

My condolences to the family of the man that died

I rode scooters in Bermuda 5 yrs ago and it was very safe even when it poured rain. there is a learning curve. Fortunately my GF and I were experienced scooter riders as we rode one daily at home. Does take a little while to ride on the left side of the road

Looking forward to renting a scooter again next year when in Bermuda