NY tours

ish drakes

Taking a New England/Canada cruise in September and need some advice on possible tours in NY.

Has anyone taken the shore excursion 'Manhattan Tour with transfer to Newark', offered by Carnival? Is it any good? Worth the money?

We arrive on September 20 and leave from Newark at 7:50 pm. Would love some assistance in planning some sightseeing in the few hours I'm in Manhattan, if possible.

If we don't take the Carnival tour, where can we store our luggage for a few hours and what is the best option for sightseeing in such a short time frame?

Am I crazy for thinking that I'd be able to see some of Manhattan before our flight later than evening?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What's the cost of the Carnival transfer per person and how many people?

The ship will arrive early and your flight leaves very late. There is lots of time to explore NY. You can store your luggage at Schwartz Travel on west 36th St. and have almost the whole day. Riding the HOho bus will get you around to the city highlights. When you pick up your luggage at Schwartz Travel, you can walk the 6 short blocks back to Port Authority to catch the airport bus to EWR. http://Www.coachusa.com

What's the cost of the Carnival transfer per person and how many people?

The ship will arrive early and your flight leaves very late. There is lots of time to explore NY. You can store your luggage at Schwartz Travel on west 36th St. and have almost the whole day. Riding the HOho bus will get you around to the city highlights. When you pick up your luggage at Schwartz Travel, you can walk the 6 short blocks back to Port Authority to catch the airport bus to EWR. http://Www.coachusa.com

The cost is $90 per person for this tour: "See one of the Big Apple's most fascinating areas. Lower Manhattan boasts many of this sprawling city's famous landmarks - Times Square, where the New Year's ball drops each December 31, lively Chinatown, the tree-lined streets of Greenwich Village and the oh-so-fashionable SoHo district, whose name derives from its location south of Houston Street. At Battery Park, you can take in the distant view of the Statue of Liberty. Heading back uptown you will pass the austere United Nations Plaza (time permitting), Rockefeller Center with its famous flags and statue, and the instantly recognizable Empire State Building. A drive by beautiful Central Park, New York's in-city oasis completes your tour before continuing to Newark airport. Sequence of tour may vary."

Thanks for your response. Would the HoHo tour take me to the Rockefeller Centre or Empire State Building?

The HoHo will definitely go to the Empire State Building, and probably Rockefeller Center. It's probably the simplest way to see a lot of Manhattan, and you can "hop off", obviously, to walk around specific places.

My suspicion is the tour you're looking at is marketed to mid to late afternoon flights; you have an early evening flight. They're probably looking to get you to the airport at around 2:00, and you have no real reason to be there before 5:00, and possibly later. Doing it on your own will give you more time.

If you want to see specific parts of the city, it may be just as easy to walk. The HoHo's give you a windshield overview of the city, and have the advantage that you don't have to really plan your way around. They're also stuck (same as the Carnival tour) in Manhattan traffic.

If there are a handful of things you really want to see, let us know, and we can give you a read on whether a bus tour is the way to go. For instance, if you wanted to see Times Square, the Empire State Building, Macy's, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park, I'd probably say store the bags and walk it (assuming you're able to walk). If you want to throw in Battery Park and the WTC site, unless you want to take a cab or figure out the subway (simple but not always obvious), the HoHo would be great.

The HoHo will definitely go to the Empire State Building, and probably Rockefeller Center. It's probably the simplest way to see a lot of Manhattan, and you can "hop off", obviously, to walk around specific places.

My suspicion is the tour you're looking at is marketed to mid to late afternoon flights; you have an early evening flight. They're probably looking to get you to the airport at around 2:00, and you have no real reason to be there before 5:00, and possibly later. Doing it on your own will give you more time.

If you want to see specific parts of the city, it may be just as easy to walk. The HoHo's give you a windshield overview of the city, and have the advantage that you don't have to really plan your way around. They're also stuck (same as the Carnival tour) in Manhattan traffic.

If there are a handful of things you really want to see, let us know, and we can give you a read on whether a bus tour is the way to go. For instance, if you wanted to see Times Square, the Empire State Building, Macy's, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park, I'd probably say store the bags and walk it (assuming you're able to walk). If you want to throw in Battery Park and the WTC site, unless you want to take a cab or figure out the subway (simple but not always obvious), the HoHo would be great.

Thanks Mark, all the places you have listed I would be willing to see. I had originally thought given the time frame I'd probably get to do Rockefeller Centre and the Staten Island ferry but I'd definitely be willing to Central Park and WTC, if possible (not sure about doing both Empire State Building and Top of the World with such a finite time) . I was looking at the map and the Schwartz Travel is a 25 mins walk from the pier. I assume I'd need to take a taxi there? I have no problem using the subway to get around as I've been to NY before, just never had any real time to take in the 'sites'.

Thanks again

Edited by ish drakes

Throwing my .02 in. You can't do it all in one day. Choose the 2 or 3 things on your bucket list and work from there. You need to figure travel time, wait time, on top of the hours needed to enjoy the venue. Some places require timed tickets.

Throwing my .02 in. You can't do it all in one day. Choose the 2 or 3 things on your bucket list and work from there. You need to figure travel time, wait time, on top of the hours needed to enjoy the venue. Some places require timed tickets.

Thanks. I'm looking at Rockefeller Centre (Top of the World) and Staten Island Ferry. If we can fit something else in there great, if not, I think the views from both those locations will keep us until we can do NYC the way we want to, when we have more time.

With your limited time I would concentrate on either midtown or downtown, but not both. Remember you are sailing in and out of NY harbor already, so the Staten Island Ferry is going to be somewhat of a repeat experience.

With your limited time I would concentrate on either midtown or downtown, but not both. Remember you are sailing in and out of NY harbor already, so the Staten Island Ferry is going to be somewhat of a repeat experience.

Oh I didn't think of that. Thanks, with my limited knowledge I didn't out 2 and 2 together. Ok, then I might be able to do something else in conjunction with Rockefeller Centre. Any suggestions?

Carol beat me to the obvious; you'll be cruising through New York Harbor, so the ferry is probably redundant!

My earlier post are all within easy walking distance of Schwartz Travel.

Let's assume you want to stay in Midtown, as going downtown will take time...

From Schwartz on 36th Street, you can head down to 34th, then crosstown to Macy's. Continue down 34th, and you'll pass the Empire State Building. You can elect to go up the ESB, or save this for the Top of the Rock. Either way, turn right on Fifth Avenue through Murray Hill to the Flatiron Building, generally considered the first skyscraper. Do an about face and head up Fifth Avenue. You'll run into Rockefeller Center and Saks. Along the way, you'll pass the New York Public Library near 44th; well worth a detour! If you want to see Grand Central Station, hang a right towards Lexington and check it out; return to Fifth Avenue and continue north. In or near Rockefeller Center, you have the Top of the Rock, Radio City Music Hall, etc. We've been to both the observation deck at the ESB and the Top of the Rock, and frankly the Top of the Rock is better. Do one or the other as you see fit. Continue up Fifth Avenue, and pick a shop or two that interests you. Amongst others, you'll pass Tiffany, which is worth a stop (and has clean bathrooms on the second floor!). FAO Schwarz is at 59th, and then you're at the corner of Central Park. I'd cross into the park, and check out a map to get to the Mall and the Bethesda Terrace.

At this point in time, check your time and your legs. The Met is right there, but it will eat the rest of your day. I'd probably backtrack to 59th and make a right to 7th Avenue, and head down 7th into Times Square. My personal detour at this point would be to turn down 44th and have a late meal at John's Pizzeria for some amazing New York pizza in an incredible setting. It's supposedly the largest pizzeria in the world, in a desanctified church.

Assuming you've done some shopping along the way, you should be pretty much exhausted at this point, and coming close to your time. Check out a NYC map; there were optional turns along that route to the UN, for instance. MOMA is on 53rd between Fifth and Sixth. If you haven't completely pigged out on the ship, and can get reservations (Open Table), and have a jacket for the gentleman, you can skip Johns and have a late lunch at Le Bernadin, not far from Rockefeller Center.

From the Times Square area, continue down 7th or Broadway to 36th, hang a right, and you're back at Schwartz...

There is a ton to do in Midtown, depending on your mobility and interests!

Thanks so much Mark for that detailed response.

That is exactly the kind of information I wanted. Sounds like a great plan.

Edited by ish drakes

Great info....midtown has the most to offer! There's so much to do in NYC, it's a shame you only have one day ! I've lived in NY my whole life, and I can't get enough of NYC!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app