RCI, RCCL, RCL or RCCI?

T_Bird

O.K. You see a number of different acronyms for Royal Caribbean on all of these boards - RCI, RCCL, RCL, RCCI.

I know RCI (the acronym I use) is Royal Caribbean International and RCCL is Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. I assume the others that I see are variations of these words.

So, my questions are, which acronym do you use, why and does anyone out there know which one is the right one?

As long as the meaning is understood do you really care?

from the CC guidleines

Spelling and Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

I use RCCL when I am referring to the Cruise line itself, typically when discussing a specific ship (Navigator) or some other aspect of a cruise on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

If I am referring to the corporate parent, Royal Caribbean International, which means I am speaking to things that impact both RCCL and Celebrity Cruise Lines, I say RCI.

So, I would never use RCCL to discuss things on a Celebrity Cruise (CCL), but I may use RCI when speaking about CCL.

OK? IMHO, YMMV...LOL

I believe cmason has it backwards ....

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCCL) is the corporation which owns the Royal Caribbean International (RCI) cruise line (and Celebrity Cruises). So if you want to be precise, use RCCL when speaking of the corporation and RCI when speaking of the cruise line.

Practically speaking, though, it makes no difference everyone knows who you're talking about.

O.K. You see a number of different acronyms for Royal Caribbean on all of these boards - RCI, RCCL, RCL, RCCI.

I know RCI (the acronym I use) is Royal Caribbean International and RCCL is Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. I assume the others that I see are variations of these words.

So, my questions are, which acronym do you use, why and does anyone out there know which one is the right one?

RCI = Royal Caribbean International

RCCL = Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Which is the parent company that wones Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises

RCL = Stock Symbol of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. at the NYSE

RCCI = ???? never heard that one and have no idea

BTW the stock symbol RCL is used on the boards sometimes for a former cruise Line which is not longer operating - Royal Cruise Line. I think it had nothing to do with Royal Caribbean.

I use RCCL when I am referring to the Cruise line itself, typically when discussing a specific ship (Navigator) or some other aspect of a cruise on Royal Caribbean Cruise Line.

If I am referring to the corporate parent, Royal Caribbean International, which means I am speaking to things that impact both RCCL and Celebrity Cruise Lines, I say RCI.

So, I would never use RCCL to discuss things on a Celebrity Cruise (CCL), but I may use RCI when speaking about CCL.

OK? IMHO, YMMV...LOL

Be careful CCL is used by many people for Carnival Cruise Line and not Celebrity Cruise Line. I think it´s also the stock symbol of Carnival. That´s why I usually use X as a short term for Celebrity.

Wow! Thanks all! I had always wondered and figured that there was a difference between the variuos configurations. Your posts explain alot!

I think I've got it:

RCI = Royal Caribbean

X = Celebrity

RCCL = Royal Caribbean + Celebrity

RCL = NYSE

Thanks again,

T Bird

To smeyer418:

I was not trying to point out any gramatical errors (not mine or anyone else's). I was just curious as to what they all meant. Now I know.

from the CC guidleines

Spelling and Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Madforcruising's list explaining the various abbreviations is correct, but many who post here use RCCL and RCI interchangeably and it is usually clear who they are referring to. If you want to be exact, however, use the abbreviations indicated in madforcruising's post.

Ahhh... I knew I had seen RCCI several times on these boards but had no clue. Thanks Liz!

I use RCCI because that is what our C & A Loyalty Ambassor said they know it as in the UK.:D

Very confusing though:D

Liz

Ahhh... I knew I had seen RCCI several times on these boards but had no clue. Thanks Liz!

I use RCCI because that is what our C & A Loyalty Ambassor said they know it as in the UK.:D

Very confusing though:D

Liz

While looking on Royal Caribbean's web site to see which acronym they use I came across this interesting press release:

Royal Caribbean And Celebrity Cruises Introduce Online Check-In

Two Brands Establish Industry First To Dramatically Accelerate Guest Check-In

Miami - July 20, 2005 - Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises have established another industry first: Both lines are simultaneously launching online check-in for their guests, reducing the check-in process at the pier from minutes to seconds.

Titled "SetSail" for Royal Caribbean International and "Xpress Pass" for Celebrity Cruises, online check-in is now available for guests booked on Royal Caribbean's Navigator of the Seas and for those on Celebrity's Zenith. The company expects online check-in to be available for both brands' entire fleets by September.

The new online check-in process allows guests to fill out all pertinent cruise documents before arriving at the pier. Boarding documents, immigration forms, onboard accounts and ticket contracts can be completed with just a click of the mouse.

"This is a truly innovative development, basically making the web our 'virtual check-in agent,'" said Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Associate Vice President Guest Port Services Juan Trescastro. "By averting the need to complete paperwork at the pier or while in line, we're reducing the time involved at the pier from an average of three to four minutes to an average of 30 seconds per guest."

To check in online, guests are asked to visit the pertinent line's web site (http://www.celebrity.com or http://www.royalcaribbean.com), then click "Before you Cruise" on Celebrity's site, and "Before You Board" on Royal Caribbean's site, followed by "Online Documentation." There, guests will be asked to provide their booking number, ship and sail date, and to follow four easy steps to complete the process. Guests then will receive an e-mail confirmation stating that their documents have been processed. They can print the confirmation and provide it, along with identification, to agents at a special express counter at the pier.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. is a global cruise vacation company that operates Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises, with a combined total of 29 ships in service, two under construction and one on firm order. The company also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe through its cruisetour division.

I thought RCCL stood for Royal Caribbean Cruise Line, not Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Thanks for the clarification. I usually use RCCL anyway, for no real reason. I think RCL and RCCI are incorrect deviations that people just kind of invented, but I always know what they are talking about, so it doesn't really matter.

Ha ha look at this:

At the web site, www.royalcaribbean.com,

There is a graphic in the upper left corner that says "Royal Caribbean International." But hover your mouse over it and you will see the

html "alt text" which describes the graphic, which says "RCCL Logo Top"

So even they don't know which it is!

Ha ha look at this:

At the web site, www.royalcaribbean.com,

There is a graphic in the upper left corner that says "Royal Caribbean International." But hover your mouse over it and you will see the

html "alt text" which describes the graphic, which says "RCCL Logo Top"

So even they don't know which it is!

Yes, further compounding the problem, Royal Caribbean International often refers to itself as Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL) - not to be confused with Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited (RCCL).

Kind of reminds me of the story (don't know if it's true) of when Washington became a state. They were going to call it Columbia after the river but didn't want it to be confused with the District of Columbia, so they named it Washington. Then the District of Columbia was renamed Washington, D.C.

Archived