Coexisting with smokers?

Boy that's a stretch. What resources? I worked for it and it was incredibly difficult. I made my own opportunity. My parents didn't have two nickels to rub together. I paid for every cent of my education. I have a colleague that not only paid for her kids schooling and had to buy them a car so they wouldn't have to take the bus. The poor darlings. They have no idea what is like to struggle.

You could have also been stricken with an illness or an accident that instead of being able to get an education and get a job and earn money you could have been confined to a bed I an diaper being fed through a tube staring into space with your mouth wide open . Now that is a struggle.

So your parents weren't wealthy ? Were they good parents ? Did they love you? They didn't beat or molest you ? Did they do whatever they could to raise you the best they could with what they had . Then they were great parents,

If so yeah you were lucky

You could have also been stricken with an illness or an accident that instead of being able to get an education and get a job and earn money you could have been confined to a bed I an diaper being fed through a tube staring into space with your mouth wide open . Now that is a struggle.

So your parents weren't wealthy ? Were they good parents ? Did they love you? They didn't beat or molest you ? Did they do whatever they could to raise you the best they could with what they had . Then they were great parents,

This explains your fear of being capped, methinks. For the record, I think that's much too severe. Slapping? Not so much. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42943735

When I read things like this, I often wonder what the speaker thought they said, compared to what the listener heard being said. I guess we will never know.

Actually, we do know.

I wrote it here.

You reported:

Yes, of course, we asked.

They could not have known it was bothering us if we did not VERY NICELY mention to them the smoke was coming directly up from their verandah to ours.

That is your perception of what you said. You perceived and believed that it was "very nicely". We have no idea how the people you spoke to perceived your request. Not just in this instance, and not just your words. We all have our perceptions of what we say, and people listening have perceptions of what was said. Miscommunication and misunderstanding is rampant.

I hope this clarifies for you what I meant.

Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps (so to speak) out of poverty and working your butt off to educate yourself and work a job at the same time is not being "lucky". It is being innovative and darned hard-working. Come on, give a bit of credit.

Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps (so to speak) out of poverty and working your butt off to educate yourself and work a job at the same time is not being "lucky". It is being innovative and darned hard-working. Come on' date=' give a bit of credit.[/quote']

I know many people who have worked their way out of poverty, educated themselves, raised their kid(s) on their own with no help ....its just what people do. I did it, many of my contemporaries did it/are still doing it. I was the first person on both sides of my family tree to go to college - and its a big arse tree! I raised my son, paid my education, worked myself into a great career niche.

It may not be "lucky" but its not uncommon. Being born in a country where you CAN do those things, where you aren't sold into slavery at age 5, where you have the opportunity to do those things - that has nothing to do with the individual.

Is that luck? Nope, its BLESSED for being in a world where it is possible. Some people on this earth do not have those opportunities - no matter how hard they work for it.

Edited by Mytime2014

You reported:

That is your perception of what you said. You perceived and believed that it was "very nicely". We have no idea how the people you spoke to perceived your request. Not just in this instance, and not just your words. We all have our perceptions of what we say, and people listening have perceptions of what was said. Miscommunication and misunderstanding is rampant.

I hope this clarifies for you what I meant.

Good grief. :D :rolleyes:

I'm sure you have to be kidding.

Now, let's talk about smoking, shall we?

Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps (so to speak) out of poverty and working your butt off to educate yourself and work a job at the same time is not being "lucky". It is being innovative and darned hard-working. Come on' date=' give a bit of credit.[/quote']

Believe me I understand hard work, I have been working 60, 70 sometimes 80 hour weeks for 30 years . Nights ,weekends, Holidays , you name it .

I am nobody special , there are millions of people out there like me . I probably make better money than some, not as much as others , but am very grateful for what I have , and proud that I and DW worked for every penny of it.

Exactly. I don't think it's that hard to understand but I guess it is for some. I have a colleague that won a half million on the lottery and still whines that she is broke. She has 3 kids and her mother in law takes care of all of them. I doubt she has even changed a diaper. To me, that is lucky. Working your a$$ off has nothing to do with luck.

Edited by cruz chic

I know many people who have worked their way out of poverty, educated themselves, raised their kid(s) on their own with no help ....its just what people do. I did it, many of my contemporaries did it/are still doing it. I was the first person on both sides of my family tree to go to college - and its a big arse tree! I raised my son, paid my education, worked myself into a great career niche.

It may not be "lucky" but its not uncommon. Being born in a country where you CAN do those things, where you aren't sold into slavery at age 5, where you have the opportunity to do those things - that has nothing to do with the individual.

Is that luck? Nope, its BLESSED for being in a world where it is possible. Some people on this earth do not have those opportunities - no matter how hard they work for it.

Who said it was uncommon? I don't see one person. I said it had nothing to do with luck and it most certainly does not no matter how you try to explain it.

and where did I say I had a fear of being capped

My apologies. You did not express a fear of being capped. You simply said that it was the kind of thing that happens. (Probably an Orlando thing?) Either that or it was a de facto threat. It's so hard to tell today.

Quotes to follow....

Very nicely put.

I agree , blessed is more an appropriate word here :)

Who said it was uncommon? I don't see one person. I said it had nothing to do with luck and it most certainly does not no matter how you try to explain it.

Didn't say it to you chica.

Was making a statement not an accusation, and not even a response to you!!!:p;):D:cool:

ETA - you're right - you are the only one who has climbed over the barriers of your life and made a success and deserve all the best. None of us has dealt with the life you had to overcome. You did a great job and I'm so proud to see a success story like yours. It makes mine pale in comparison....I should never have compared my struggles with all that you have overcome. I do sincerely wish you continued success.

Edited by Mytime2014

My apologies. You did not express a fear of being capped. You simply said that it was the kind of thing that happens. (Probably an Orlando thing?) Either that or it was a de facto threat. It's so hard to tell today.

Quotes to follow....

Yea it does happen a lot sadly , all over , not just Orlando unfortunately . You ever read a paper or watch the news.

Didn't say it to you chica.

Was making a statement not an accusation, and not even a response to you!!!:p;):D:cool:

ETA - you're right - you are the only one who has climbed over the barriers of your life and made a success and deserve all the best. None of us has dealt with the life you had to overcome. You did a great job and I'm so proud to see a success story like yours. It makes mine pale in comparison....I should never have compared my struggles with all that you have overcome. I do sincerely wish you continued success.

I'm not saying that my life was horrible but I had a lot of obstacles. There are things I will not share on a message board that went on in my early life. I'm just so so tired of hearing how "lucky" I or other people are. In most cases, it's anything but luck. I just wish that people would think twice before throwing the word out.

Would someone please tell me what they mean by 'capped'?

Thanks.

I really wish people would stop using strange terms. One of my Facebook friends uses terms that I simply don't understand. What ever happened to good old fashioned English? I assume it means to be shot. Why not just say that.

Edited by cruz chic