Coexisting with smokers?

I think it is all in your approach. If you approach a subject nicely most people will be nice back to you.

My hubby is a considerate smoker. On our last cruise on the Crystal Symphony, there is a small area inside the Crystal Cove bar that had two smoking tables in the corner (there are ashtrays provided at these two tables). One day we went for a drink and he wanted to have a cigarette. While the bar itself was relatively empty, there was a couple sitting at each of the smoking tables. We sat down to join one of the couples. Noticing that neither of them was smoking, he politely asked, "Do you mind if I smoke?" He got a dirty look back and a snarky response "well I guess we don't have much choice do we?" So he went ahead and lit up, since it was a designated smoking area at that time. Had they responded politely that they preferred he didn't smoke, he would not have lit up. We would have moved and sat at the other table and perhaps had better luck.

I think if you are a non-smoker willingly sitting in an area where smoking is allowed, you should not complain if someone smokes. They are following the rules as set down by the cruise line. You are aware of those rules when you book the cruise so you are willingly taking this chance of coming into contact with smokers. No one is forcing you to do so.

More importantly, there is no excuse for rudeness. Smokers are not evil people. If you treat them kindly it is more than likely that you will be treated kindly back. If you treat them with hostility, it is likely you will get hostility back. That is human nature.

As a non-smoker married to a smoker, I sometimes accompany my hubby to the designated outdoor smoking areas. I have to say, we have met some of the nicest people on our travels sitting and chatting with other smokers and their spouses. I think this is an observation another poster also made earlier. There is no reason to assume that people will not be friendly, kind and reasonable just because they are smokers.

I wish the OP a wonderful cruise!

P.S. If you peep on other people's balconies by checking out their reflections in the glass, you may get an eyeful of more than just smoking......just saying.....:D

I think it is all in your approach. If you approach a subject nicely most people will be nice back to you.

My hubby is a considerate smoker. On our last cruise on the Crystal Symphony, there is a small area inside the Crystal Cove bar that had two smoking tables in the corner (there are ashtrays provided at these two tables). One day we went for a drink and he wanted to have a cigarette. While the bar itself was relatively empty, there was a couple sitting at each of the smoking tables. We sat down to join one of the couples. Noticing that neither of them was smoking, he politely asked, "Do you mind if I smoke?" He got a dirty look back and a snarky response "well I guess we don't have much choice do we?" So he went ahead and lit up, since it was a designated smoking area at that time. Had they responded politely that they preferred he didn't smoke, he would not have lit up. We would have moved and sat at the other table and perhaps had better luck.

I think if you are a non-smoker willingly sitting in an area where smoking is allowed, you should not complain if someone smokes. They are following the rules as set down by the cruise line. You are aware of those rules when you book the cruise so you are willingly taking this chance of coming into contact with smokers. No one is forcing you to do so.

More importantly, there is no excuse for rudeness. Smokers are not evil people. If you treat them kindly it is more than likely that you will be treated kindly back. If you treat them with hostility, it is likely you will get hostility back. That is human nature.

As a non-smoker married to a smoker, I sometimes accompany my hubby to the designated outdoor smoking areas. I have to say, we have met some of the nicest people on our travels sitting and chatting with other smokers and their spouses. I think this is an observation another poster also made earlier. There is no reason to assume that people will not be friendly, kind and reasonable just because they are smokers.

P.S. If you peep on other people's balconies by checking out their reflections in the glass, you may get an eyeful of more than just smoking......just saying.....:D

Couldn't agree more

I am a smoker and I always end up meeting the nicest people when I am having a smoke (or out walking my dog, but that is another story :))

Usually someone will joke " Oh well here we are , the outcasts " and someone will laugh and you strike up a nice conversation.

What a lovely post!!! I quite agree with your point of view.

When we first started cruising I did not realise that the aft deck on Holland ships had a smoking and non smoking section so we unknowingly took up space in the smoking section. Once the light came on we were careful not to inconsiderately take up space in the already limited smoking section.

Thank you for being considerate. It's really appreciated. That said, I would be scared of approaching a smoker. I have a good friend that smokes. Her attitude is too bad, deal,with it. I don't need that stress on a holiday. I have enough already.

Wow...SOrry your friend has that attitude. I realize that smoking isn't the norm now and as long as people don't totally come at me with a nasty attitude and/or completely try to infringe on my rights I try to be considerate. Some people don't realize you catch more flies with honey then vinegar.

BBM

Respectfully, I believe the non smokers are not so against those who smoke. I believe the protest is against where they smoke. They just want to breath unpolluted air.

Too bad breathing unpolluted air is entirely impossible in this world

Agree. We all have the right to our choices. We don't have the right to make others uncomfortable. Smokers are aware that by smoking on balconies, they may be causing the discomfort of others. So, by willfully smoking on that balcony, they are saying "I don't give a dam how you feel. I will do exactly as I please!"

I think its more we are saying I paid for my balcony just as much as you did and if you have an issue with my smoking you should be polite and respectful and discuss it. Lots of things cause me discomfort...My biggest issue is people wearing perfume/cologne. It makes my head clog up and me sneeze. So are you telling me that everyone who wears perfume/cologne knowing that people have allergies are saying "I don't give a dam how you feel. I will do exactly as I please!"

Sounds like a serious attitude problem on your part to me

The title of your post "coexisting with smokers" implies that I and the majority of the rest of the people who hate the smell of cigarette smoke must figure out how to coexist with people who feel that they have a right to foul the air that we breath.

Rubbish!!

Regardless of whether smoking is legal or allowed, nobody has the right to force me to breath foul smelling air laden with carcinogens that makes me and my clothes stink and my lungs black.

Remember the days when airports had designated ventilated smoking enclosures so that the smokers contaminated only themselves. They should install these things on ships and require that smokers only smoke in these enclosed areas. Of course this would require that the ships give up some area that might make them money and would also impose on the supposed rights of smokers so it is hardly likely to happen. We can hope however.

I recognize that many smokers started when they were young and when smoking was cool and I also recognize that smoking is extremely addictive and very hard to give up. I also recognize that many smokers would love to give up the habit and have tried but were not capable of doing it. However, this is not my problem but it is theirs. I am slightly sympathetic with their problem but only very slightly. Regardless, I do not have to be forced to coexist with them.

DON

Actually anyone who owns a car apparently has that right...Diesel truck even more so. Sorry but I didn't invite you to share my balcony. If you don't want to be "imposed upon" stay out of the smoking area

On a 17 night cruise we lucked out and no one smoked on our aft balcony. It was lovely. The year before when we had a suite I could not use the balcony due to cigar smoke each morning, pre dinner, post dinner. It never seemed to end.

If I was sailing HAL I would likely go as forward and low as possible, but there are simply no guarantees.

We have a future cruise credit that I wonder if we will ever use, as we have found we really like smoke free, asthma enhaler free cruises.

I doubt HAL will go back to allowing smoking in cabins, you can cover it, but not get rid of it.

Wow...SOrry your friend has that attitude. I realize that smoking isn't the norm now and as long as people don't totally come at me with a nasty attitude and/or completely try to infringe on my rights I try to be considerate. Some people don't realize you catch more flies with honey then vinegar.

Smoking is my "norm" if not yours:cool:

I agree with your last sentence though:)

Actually anyone who owns a car apparently has that right...Diesel truck even more so. Sorry but I didn't invite you to share my balcony. If you don't want to be "imposed upon" stay out of the smoking area

You can only say that if you keep you smoke contained within the confines of your own balcony.;) But I do agree about staying out of designated smoking areas.

Yeah, I wish she didn't have the attitude either. We've been friends since we were teenagers and she's is the way she is. We are both 53 now.

Whenever a smoker sits next to me and asks if I mind if they smoke, I always smile and say "Of course not! I am a respiratory therapist! If you stop smoking, I will be out of a job! Do you need any matches?" HAHA!

And that's just the kind of unnecessary snarky response I am talking about. Thanks for making my point for me!

Whenever a smoker sits next to me and asks if I mind if they smoke, I always smile and say "Of course not! I am a respiratory therapist! If you stop smoking, I will be out of a job! Do you need any matches?" HAHA!

Well, I think it's a fantastic response!

Well, I think it's a fantastic response!

If your goal is to give a rude response to a polite question, then I guess it would be.

Whenever a non smoker tells me "Second hand smoke kills". I always say " Yeah, but not reliably" HA HA

Originally Posted by donaldsc viewpost.gif

The title of your post "coexisting with smokers" implies that I and the majority of the rest of the people who hate the smell of cigarette smoke must figure out how to coexist with people who feel that they have a right to foul the air that we breath.

Rubbish!!

Regardless of whether smoking is legal or allowed, nobody has the right to force me to breath foul smelling air laden with carcinogens that makes me and my clothes stink and my lungs black.

Remember the days when airports had designated ventilated smoking enclosures so that the smokers contaminated only themselves. They should install these things on ships and require that smokers only smoke in these enclosed areas. Of course this would require that the ships give up some area that might make them money and would also impose on the supposed rights of smokers so it is hardly likely to happen. We can hope however.

I recognize that many smokers started when they were young and when smoking was cool and I also recognize that smoking is extremely addictive and very hard to give up. I also recognize that many smokers would love to give up the habit and have tried but were not capable of doing it. However, this is not my problem but it is theirs. I am slightly sympathetic with their problem but only very slightly. Regardless, I do not have to be forced to coexist with them.

DON

............Then pick another cruise line and everybody is happy!

I didn't realize that HAL still allows smoking on verandas. Just booked an Aft veranda cabin and hope I won't be sorry. I can't stand to be around smoke.:eek:

Cindy

CinWin--read my response to the OP at the beginning of this. We have had aft verandas twice....love them BUT the ship acts as a windblock and if there are smokers below you the smoke floats up (as in sail's story about sailaway) so you may have problems not only from the side but from below.

And yes---we have moved on from HAL because we have a choice so no complaining about smokers just a simple fix. I love HAL and keep checking here for any changes in policy.

When we stood at the rail on our verandah at sailaway and were 'enjoying the view', there was no peeking required in order to see the two people smoking on the verandah beneath us. There was no peeking required to see and smell the smoke as it drifted directly up to our faces.

CinWin--read my response to the OP at the beginning of this. We have had aft verandas twice....love them BUT the ship acts as a windblock and if there are smokers below you the smoke floats up (as in sail's story about sailaway) so you may have problems not only from the side but from below.

And yes---we have moved on from HAL because we have a choice so no complaining about smokers just a simple fix. I love HAL and keep checking here for any changes in policy.

When I read about the 'considerate smokers', I truly wonder what they are thinking when they say that.

Had this pair of smokers I referenced in the above post had the courtesy to take two steps back away from their rail but into the center of their verandah, they could have enjoyed the view and it would have cut down tremendously on the smoke wafting into our faces.

They wouldn't/didn't do that so they had their cake and ate it too and had no regard for anyone else..... for the fact they knew they were denying us the ability to also enjoy our verandah at sailaway. A few steps back and DH and I would not have been so badly bothered by their smoke. The smoke that would have risen to our railing would have been greatly diminished.

A 'considerate smoker' is hard to visualize in so many circumstances like this.

I suspect in many cases smokers either do not believe some people are truly bothered by the smoke or they really don't care.

Edited by sail7seas

When I read about the 'considerate smokers', I truly wonder what they are thinking when they say that.

Had this pair of smokers I referenced in the above post had the courtesy to take two steps back away from their rail but into the center of their verandah, they could have enjoyed the view and it would have cut down tremendously on the smoke wafting into our faces.

They wouldn't/didn't do that so they had their cake and ate it too and had no regard for anyone else..... for the fact they knew they were denying us the ability to also enjoy our verandah at sailaway. A few steps back and DH and I would not have been so badly bothered by their smoke. The smoke that would have risen to our railing would have been greatly diminished.

A 'considerate smoker' is hard to visualize in so many circumstances like this.

I suspect in many cases smokers either do not believe some people are truly bothered by the smoke or they really don't care.

That's a big generalization based on one pair of smokers.

Did you ask them if they would mind stepping back and explain that the smoke was bothering you?

They might not have known and if they are asked, then they have the opportunity to be considerate. Their reply or actions show whether they are or not.

I have to agree. Anyone who lights up in the presence of "non-smokers" anywhere cannot and should not be called "considerate".

Smokers can only be called "considerate" when they are within their own group... ;) but that would also depend on their other manners ;)

I have to agree. Anyone who lights up in the presence of "non-smokers" anywhere cannot and should not be called "considerate".

Anywhere??? :confused:

So, what you're saying is that if a non-smoker deliberately enters a designated smoking area, and the smokers there don't immediately put their cigarettes out, or continue to light up, then it's the smokers who are being inconsiderate??? :eek:

Right. :rolleyes:

That's a big generalization based on one pair of smokers.

Did you ask them if they would mind stepping back and explain that the smoke was bothering you?

They might not have known and if they are asked, then they have the opportunity to be considerate. Their reply or actions show whether they are or not.

Yes, of course, we asked.

They could not have known it was bothering us if we did not VERY NICELY mention to them the smoke was coming directly up from their verandah to ours.

I have indicated their response to our polite request. They chose to not take a step or two back from their rail, each afternoon, each sailaway.

When you say I generalized and lumped all together because of the two, that is not really accurate. I referenced 'many cases', 'some,' etc There are almost always exceptions.

Edited by sail7seas