New St John Ferries By July!

Ms411

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who regularly visits or follows the news of the Virgin Islands, no dates are ever a certainty. There are several items you can find about the ferries.

Here's one: http://newsofstjohn.com/2014/03/04/where-o-where-can-the-new-ferries-be-o-where-o-where-can-they-be/

Here's another: http://newsofstjohn.com/2014/06/05/no-new-ferries-but-were-getting-new-buses/

Don't get hopes up for anything. If you get there and something new is there, be thankful....just don't count on it!

ms411 ~ have you seen something recently that says the ferries will definitely be in service in July? That would be awesome! I couldn't find anything...

Edited by Host Anne

Someone posted a link to a local newspaper article. One ferry has already passed Coast Guard inspection, and they're waiting for them to complete inspection of the second. I think they are hoping to have them ready before St John's carnival parade on the 4th of July.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not Anne, but I can tell you the ferries passed Coast Guard inspection and I think the article said at least one is getting paint. The articles keep hinting that the government and the people contracted to operate the ferries have yet to reach an agreement. Federal funds subsidize that route so it's complicated.

We'll be back and post something when we know for sure the new ferries are running.

In the meantime, the current ferries do a fine job and you're there in 15 - 20 minutes.

With the way things work on St. John sometimes, it can be really slow until things happen! ;)

The current "rumor" of leasing to a tour operation in April was an April Fools joke. I've spoken with the captain featured in that article. It was pretty funny and a lot of people thought it was true. I didn't hear any reliable info when we were there that makes one think they are going to be used for anything else but a ferry. But you never quite know in the islands.

Haven't seen anything else recently on the ferry update. I read the St. John newspapers a couple of times each week....wishing I were there! :)

I just read that the new ferries actually carried paying passengers today between Cruz Bay and Red Hook. They look really nice! Let's hope it's true! I'll keep updating as I hear more...

HAPPY 4th to all!

Oops...may have spoken too soon.

Here's the latest from someone on St. John:

Oh, and we have a correction to post....the fully operational new ferries, we're told, were actually carrying government officials, NOT paying passengers....shocking

Maybe we should have a contest to guess what day the ferries will actually carry paying passengers and begin regular service :)

They carried paying customers yesterday. Friends of mine who do not work for government were on it.

I can verify that!

AND... there is progress on the Centerline Road fix from the Tropical Storm Otto washout from 2010 - it must be an election year! :D

Yes, but the govt giveth, and the govt taketh away. Old ferry back in service. Heard the new ferries don't have as much passenger or luggage capacity as old ones, so too small to use during peak times like carnival.

The current "rumor" of leasing to a tour operation in April was an April Fools joke. I've spoken with the captain featured in that article. It was pretty funny and a lot of people thought it was true. :)

The new bridge should be open by the time I get there next spring. :)

Just saw a message from a friend who took the new ferry from Cruz Bay to Red Hook today. Took just 9 minutes! For those of us who treasure every moment on St. John, that's awesome!