July 1 National Canada Day..all businesses closed

It seems July 1 is National Canada Day and as I tried to book a car for our Sydney day and perhaps drive to Uisage Ban Falls, there were no cars to be had by Enterprise...just a "closed this day message."

I then googled it and found it said All Businesses closed this day.

Just a heads up for those who wanted a particular tour and were trying to arrange it on their own...like me! :rolleyes:

Edited by momrox1

It's not quite as dire a situation as you think OP - there are designated tourism zones where any business may stay open, and certain types of business (hotels, restaurants, bars) stay open regardless of whether they're in an appropriate zone or not. Sole proprietorships, partnerships without employees, and independent contractors in general may also operate as they choose even on official holidays.

Never having tried to hire a car on Canada Day (no 'National' - that's as redundant as calling July 4th National Independence Day for you guys south of the border...) I have no idea how easy it would be to find a car rental agency open, but I guarantee you will be able to find local tour guides to drive you places.

According to there web site - the Enterprise location at the airport is opened that day and the one downtown at Scotia Square shows limited hours. The one closest to the port - at the Via station shows closed but you still might be able to drop it there at the end of your tour.

Your best bet would be to phone them and see - with a ship in town they might have an opening but just not advertise it.

Cheers!

Dennis

Canada Day in Nova Scotia, my home province is filled with tourists and friendly locals enjoying special celebrations. Shopping usually is not available except for tourist shops but restaurants, museums and other tourist attractions are open.

Do not confuse Halifax car rentals at YHZ airport or Scotia Square as the same as Sydney, Cape Breton. Sydney is almost a 5 hour drive from Halifax!

I recommend Fortress Louisbourg for your port day in Sydney, about a 30 minute drive from the port on good roads. If you do rent a car follow a coastal route back to the port. The small fishing villages between Louisbourg and Sydney are very scenic. Another stop on the way back could be the Glace Bay Miner's Museum where one ventures underground. If you do venture to the falls, have a good map and proper footwear. Temperatures vary in Cape Breton between coast and town significantly some days so be prepared.

Have fun and enjoy Canada Day in Nova Scotia.

OP, your frustration is understood but please know that not all businesses are closed on holidays. Your title incorrectly assumes this and it simply isn't true.

I worked in a car rental agency for five years and it is extremely rare that an airport location would be closed on any day, even Christmas Day. Flights come and go every day of the year and people need rental cars.

I hope you find something suitable. Trust me, many businesses will be open and eager to accept your money on Canada Day. :)

I then googled it and found it said All Businesses closed this day.

Just a heads up for those who wanted a particular tour and were trying to arrange it on their own...like me! :rolleyes:

I just got off the phone with a lovely young woman at the Budget/AVIS office in Sydney (902-564-2610) to confirm my reservation for 7/1.

They are indeed open on Canada Day but will be closing at 2:00. Late drop-offs are fine, but they won't have shuttles back to the ship in the late afternoon. She said she's talked to quite a few cruisers who will be taking cabs back so we can share! She also said her boss didn't know yet that a ship was in that day, so there is a chance that the shop will be kept open for us. (I told her I'd be happy to pay cab fare if it meant she could have the afternoon off to celebrate!)

In addition to the reservation, she spent about 15 minutes telling me all about Cape Breton and what we can/should see in the time we have ashore.

As if I weren't excited already for this trip, the friendliness of everyone I've talked to up there makes it even harder to wait!

Edited by Magdalea

That is great news and yes we are very open, friendly people.

It would be very helpful to others if you would come back after your cruise and tell of your experiences.

Edited by maryann ns

Thank you all for your inquiries and kind replys. I have decided to take a HAL excursion to Uisage Ban Falls and we are really looking forward to this. We generally take our own excursions so this will be a real treat! I am so looking forward to relaxing and seeing beautiful Canada. An added bonus to me is to just relax before our hike and let someone else do the driving..

...I have decided to take a HAL excursion to Uisage Ban Falls and we are really looking forward to this. We generally take our own excursions so this will be a real treat! I am so looking forward to relaxing and seeing beautiful Canada. An added bonus to me is to just relax before our hike and let someone else do the driving..

Nice! Well, I hope you will enjoy yourselves. :)

Hi Mary Ann! You suggested the possibility of a taxi to Louisbourg...any idea of what that might cost? I would really like your previous suggestion of renting a car, but my husband gave the big no, so looks like a taxi might be the next best possibility...Thanks! Your advice on so many threads has been invaluable!

Hi Mary Ann! You suggested the possibility of a taxi to Louisbourg...any idea of what that might cost?

Probably a lot more than renting a car for the day

Maybe find someone on your roll call that would share the car rental & do driving if your DH does not feel comfortable with the idea

• 3 weeks later...

It just called Canada Day (without the word 'National'). It is about the equivalent to National Fourth of July Day in the United States. Banks, government, and many offices are closed. Service industry (restaurants, etc) are open.

Most city centres will be closed off for fireworks and other celebrations, so you'll want to avoid certain areas of downtown.

We are into a delightful stretch of great weather to July 2 or 3 so I am sure your Cruise stop in NS will be wonderful. Canada Day would be agreat day to visit Louisbourg. A car rental would be preferable to taxi...that way you would have lots of money left over for a nice lobster sandwich or two in Louisbourg.

Jim from Halifax