Zuiderdam aft Neptune suites, decks 5, 6, 7

sonavogel

Hello, veteran HAL cruisers!

My husband and I are thinking of booking a partial Panama Canal transit cruise next February on the Zuiderdam. We have never sailed on HAL, although we have cruised on other lines. On one of our cruises, we learned that we loved being in an aft suite, and we would like to do so on the Zuiderdam (that is, if there are any Neptune aft suites left by the time I actually try to reserve one!).

Before I even try, though, I wanted to double-check about the wonderful posts I've read about these aft suites on the Zuiderdam. You see, most of the posts pre-date the retrofit I see Zuiderdam had, and one poster (I cannot remember his name) mentioned that following the retrofit, the huge aft balconies became a thing of the past, thanks to cabins added in that area.

All the photo links given in posts are no longer accessible, so I can't see for myself what they look like now, and the HAL website doesn't give us an aft view. So I can't tell if the aft suite balconies on decks 5, 6, and 7 are still wrap-around and huge--in other words, about the same as they were in, say, 2009.

Are these balconies still the same? And is the suite balcony on deck 5 still completely covered (front and side), while the suite balcony on deck 7 is half covered in front, fully covered on the side?

I'd very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has up-to-date information on this; I've got a lot of research ahead of me regarding the rest of the HAL experience, but booking the cabin my husband and I would find most enjoyable is probably one of the most important aspects of taking a cruise! :D

Thank you all in advance!

Best, Sona

This is the Zuiderdam as it is currently. The deck 5 stern balconies are completely covered and the deck 6>8 ones have become shorter than before the retrofit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=276068&d=1371614118

Edited by jtl513

Thank you, Jtl513...that's the only photograph I've seen of the stern of the Zuiderdam since its retrofit. And it helps.

So, you are saying, then, that the 6-8 deck aft balconies have been shortened, but not the balconies in deck 5--they are what they were before the retrofit? (And yes, that deck 5 aft balconies are completely covered.)

Thanks,

Sona

So, you are saying, then, that the 6-8 deck aft balconies have been shortened, but not the balconies in deck 5--they are what they were before the retrofit? (And yes, that deck 5 aft balconies are completely covered.)

Correct. Deck 4 and 5 depths were not changed. Decks 6>8 were extended, and the new cabins given a much shorter balcony than before. Sorry, I don't know how short, but just looking at the pic and comparing them to deck 4, I would guess they are about 8 ft deep.

You might want to take a look at halfacts.com for pictures of cabins and decks. There are dates of when the pictures were taken.

just click the link in my signature and it will take you right there. Cabin size for most of the Vistas is the same if that helps.

The down side to the aft balconies are the distance from the Neptune Lounge. The SA suites on Deck 7 will give you easy access to everything the NL has to offer.

You are right, Typhoon1; I can see that it would be a (bit of a) hike.

We are not familiar with HAL, and I'm reading as much as I can about the experience. For instance, from looking at the "virtual tour" of a Neptune Suite and from reading about its amenities, I see that there isn't a coffeemaker in the suite. That is something that I truly make use of several times throughout the day and evening. And that makes the distance I'd have to cover just to get a cup significant.

The other pleasantries that would require a hike...well, as others have said, walking helps to neutralize dessert (a little, anyway). :)

We (my husband and I) love watching the sea; and watching it from the perspective of an aft balcony is incredibly soothing to us. Bonine helps if the seas are rough.

But I'm still reading of the experiences of others on this forum, and it helps me a lot. Also, we do not have a TA, so it's probable that we'll be booking directly with HAL. No special add-ons. That makes it important to know exactly what I can and cannot expect when I speak with an HAL rep.

Thank you for the heads-up about the walking, though. We were once on a TA on the Queen Mary 2, and I remember thinking that the cruising fairy had to be moving the elevator entrances every time I got close to them, because it seemed I was walking the length of five city blocks before I could get out of the hallway!

Best, Sona

You might want to take a look at halfacts.com for pictures of cabins and decks. There are dates of when the pictures were taken.

just click the link in my signature and it will take you right there. Cabin size for most of the Vistas is the same if that helps.

Kazu, this is so funny--I was looking at your pictures, before I even posted my query! I wasn't sure if the date in the drop down right under each ship's name was the date when the photos were taken, but I assumed that's what it meant. And since the date under Zuiderdam was 2002, I figured that meant the Zuiderdam photos had been taken before the retrofit. (Again, I'm just not familiar enough with HAL to know these things for sure.)

I loved the photo of #5191, but I had no way of knowing if that's the way it looks now.

Anyway, thank you for writing--I appreciate it!

Best, Sona

Kazu, this is so funny--I was looking at your pictures, before I even posted my query! I wasn't sure if the date in the drop down right under each ship's name was the date when the photos were taken, but I assumed that's what it meant. And since the date under Zuiderdam was 2002, I figured that meant the Zuiderdam photos had been taken before the retrofit. (Again, I'm just not familiar enough with HAL to know these things for sure.)

I loved the photo of #5191, but I had no way of knowing if that's the way it looks now.

Best, Sona

Sona,

the 2002 under the Zuiderdam is the date that the ship was built.

The date for the pictures appears in on each page. I looked at 5191 and it appears that the date of this pic was not given when it was submitted to us.

If it helps though, the pic of 5190 on the Zuiderdam was taken in 2012.

I don't recall anyone posting that the suite afts on the Zuiderdam had shrunk, but my meomory is not the best at time :)

Edited by kazu

Best, Sona

We were in 5190 two weeks ago and it still looks the same. The balcony is approx 450 square feet (about the same size as the cabin). We could have easily had 25 people on the balcony and not be crowded.

Yes the walk to NL was a long one but IMHO worth every step.

We loved the layout, the location, and oh yeah- the balcony!! We spent so much time out there in Alaska. Was the perfect place to be in Glacier Bay.

A tip- go to the Explorations Cafe and pick up on of the HAL short insulated mugs. Take it with you to NL- it holds exactly two Lattes!!

We had a deck 4 aft-wrap a couple of years ago and my wife loved it, but I was just OK with it.

The cabin is a bit smaller than the normal SA, but obviously the balconies are much larger.

My wife loved sitting out in the aft facing section (we never did use the side balcony) due to the lack of wind and the great views.

However, I have a bit of a foot problem and the LONG walks to the Neptune and almost everywhere else on the ship wore me out! If not for this, I would have been fine with the cabin.

DaveOKC

We were in 5190 two weeks ago and it still looks the same. The balcony is approx 450 square feet (about the same size as the cabin). We could have easily had 25 people on the balcony and not be crowded.

Yes the walk to NL was a long one but IMHO worth every step.

We loved the layout, the location, and oh yeah- the balcony!! We spent so much time out there in Alaska. Was the perfect place to be in Glacier Bay.

A tip- go to the Explorations Cafe and pick up on of the HAL short insulated mugs. Take it with you to NL- it holds exactly two Lattes!!

This is a perfect tip for someone like me. :) That's exactly what I would do. And since I'd probably want to refill the cup a few times each afternoon, I'd get in my exercise and my coffee at the same time. Tailor-made for my personality--combining practicality with exercise.

Thank you, frankc98376!

Will be interested to hear what exactly is planned for dry dock next year. Several onboard verified she will get the spa cabins behind crows nest and cabanas.

A few said they also heard more aft cabins- as others have said that was done years ago. Wonder if they plan on adding even more. If so, those new SB's should definitely go back to SC

The retrofit was years ago. I'd be surprised if you are finding any pre retrofit pictures on here

That's good information, too. I didn't know when the retrofit was, but it was difficult to find any aft pictures on the forum at all (I found one, but it was a bit grainy and details were hard to pick out close up).

Several posts did direct me to outside websites of photos, but they have all been made inaccessible (too long ago? I don't know), except for the halfacts site, which has been wonderful to look at--especially since I know now that the photos are relatively current.

I've made a reservation for us (DH and me) in 5191 on the Zuiderdam, in February 2015, for the Panama half transit. I think it will turn out to be an excellent combination of a beautiful cabin, interesting sights, a few ports to explore (or not, if we prefer to veg out), and enough legwork getting to and from places on the ship to justify the food we will likely overeat. :D

I'll be exploring this forum for information and experiences, until I come to feel more comfortable about what to expect on board (and pre-cruise, since we may opt to use HAL for the flight in and back and for a pre-cruise hotel). It'll be fun for me now that I have a cruise to look forward to!

Thank you for helping me make my decision. :)

Best, Sona

Hello, veteran HAL cruisers!

My husband and I are thinking of booking a partial Panama Canal transit cruise next February on the Zuiderdam. We have never sailed on HAL, although we have cruised on other lines. On one of our cruises, we learned that we loved being in an aft suite, and we would like to do so on the Zuiderdam (that is, if there are any Neptune aft suites left by the time I actually try to reserve one!).

All the photo links given in posts are no longer accessible, so I can't see for myself what they look like now, and the HAL website doesn't give us an aft view. So I can't tell if the aft suite balconies on decks 5, 6, and 7 are still wrap-around and huge--in other words, about the same as they were in, say, 2009.

Are these balconies still the same? And is the suite balcony on deck 5 still completely covered (front and side), while the suite balcony on deck 7 is half covered in front, fully covered on the side?

I'd very much appreciate hearing from anyone who has up-to-date information on this; I've got a lot of research ahead of me regarding the rest of the HAL experience, but booking the cabin my husband and I would find most enjoyable is probably one of the most important aspects of taking a cruise! :D

Thank you all in advance!

Best, Sona

We did the Panama Canal last December in 6166 that was about three feet covered on the back and completely covered on the side. We did Alaska in 2013 in 5191 and it was completely covered both back and side.

The sun is intense in Panama so I would recommend the fully covered Deck 5.

Advantages of an aft-wrap suite:

1. Very little foot traffic in the hallway.

2. 270-degree view for incredible photography.

3. No breeze in the back unless you move closer to the side when the ship is moving.

4. You are a two-minute elevator ride to the Lido Restaurant and the MDR. (Bring a thermos and fill it before going to bed for hot coffee when your toes hit the floor.)

5. The Room Service kitchen is a two-minute elevator ride up so your food should always be hot.

6. Breakfast or dinner on the verandah is a real treat (table is 42 inches if you want to bring a table cloth).

7. You can order "In Room Dining' from the Concierge and it will be served course by course by a dedicated waiter.

8. You can move from the verandah back to the side to escape weather/sun.

9. You are a two-minute elevator ride for the Panama buns (filled with custard and mandarin oranges) served in the Lido Restaurant.

Here are the views of the Panama Canal from 4166:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1434 (west bound)

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1436 (east bound)

Here are the daily menus for lunch and dinner for both Main Dining Room and Lido Restrant from Dec 2013:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/?page_id=1311

You better book early because aft-wraps are usually the first to be sold.

Edited by Crew News

We did the Panama Canal last December in 4166 that was about three feet covered on the back and completely covered on the side. We did Alaska in 2013 in 5191 and it was completely covered both back and side.

3. No breeze in the back unless you move closer to the side when the ship is moving.

4. You are a two-minute elevator ride to the Lido Restaurant and the MDR. (Bring a thermos and fill it before going to bed for hot coffee when your toes hit the floor.)

5. The Room Service kitchen is a two-minute elevator ride up so your food should always be hot.

6. Breakfast or dinner on the verandah is a real treat (table is 42 inches if you want to bring a table cloth).

7. You can order "In Room Dining' from the Concierge and it will be served course by course by a dedicated waiter.

9. You are a two-minute elevator ride for the Panama buns (filled with custard and mandarin oranges) served in the Lido Restaurant.

Here are the daily menus for lunch and dinner for both Main Dining Room and Lido Restrant from Dec 2013:

My understanding was that 4166 on the Zuiderdam was one of the double-length balcony cabins on the side of the ship towards the aft. How could it be 3 feet covered on the back and completely covered on the side? Your photos seem to be from the aft.

We did the Panama Canal last December in 4166 that was about three feet covered on the back and completely covered on the side. We did Alaska in 2013 in 5191 and it was completely covered both back and side.

I am looking at a floor plan of the Zuiderdam and unless my eyes are deceiving me 4166 is a VB cabin on the port side toward the rear. It is not an aft wrap cabin.

4166 should be 6166. My apologies fro striking the wrong key.

There's no need to apologise. I just didn't want to see someone book the wrong cabin and be sorely disappointed when they arrived on the ship.