Whales in Juneau or Icy Strait Point???

peacelovemickey

We saw more whales in Icy Straight Point than we have ever seen anywhere in Alaska. Maybe it was just dumb luck but we saw some right near the port and when we were sailing away we were fortunate enough to see some off our balcony. It was a mama whale and a baby that were following each other. DH was sleeping and when I saw the mama whale breach I screamed with delight and then dd was able to catch the baby whale doing the same thing! I was thrilled because we had been to Alaska three times and never seen even one whale! So yes Icy Straight would be your best bet. Good luck :)

We've been on independent whale watching excursions in both ports. There is so much else to do in Juneau that we usually plan whale watching for ISP. Up until now, I haven't seen the plethora of boats out of ISP as I have in Auke Bay out of Juneau. I miss those days when we ported in Juneau and it was us or only one other boat and the whales.

This will muddy the water for you, but we did whale watching in both locations. Very little to be seen in ISP (late May), but tons in Juneau with Harv and Marv, who we highly recommend.

We booked in ISP with Misty Bay Lodge, and they were nice; Captain Bob chased them all over the place, but it just wasn't a good day. Like someone else said, though, there is very little to do in ISP....

We maxed out our whale watching last trip to Alaska, not wanting to take a chance on getting skunked! We felt that surely you could never see too many whales, and we still think that! :)