Packing for Alaska

KB8ZYE

Hello All,

Not our first cruise, but our first to Alaska. Going in June and looking for a little help with clothes we should pack for this adventure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

We went twice, in June, a year apart. The first year it was hot enough to wear shorts and Tshirts. The second it was 40 and wet.

A few tips--

Be an onion, dress in thin layers.

Look at the weather report.

Bring some some rain gear even if the weather report says sunny and warm.

When in Glacier Bay (or Tracy Arm, etc) the wind was very cold blowing off the glaciers. Bring a knit cap and knit gloves.

We went twice, in June, a year apart. The first year it was hot enough to wear shorts and Tshirts. The second it was 40 and wet.

A few tips--

Be an onion, dress in thin layers.

Look at the weather report.

Bring some some rain gear even if the weather report says sunny and warm.

When in Glacier Bay (or Tracy Arm, etc) the wind was very cold blowing off the glaciers. Bring a knit cap and knit gloves.

When I went to Alaska, also in early June, I too dressed "like an onion". HOWEVER, the day at Tracy Arm was so cold I really wished I'd taken my ski jacket. I had a wool cap and gloves on, but I sure could have used more! The rest of the ports were cool and rainy and I was dressed for those.

Edited by Treven

This question comes up often on the Alaska Ports Of Call Board so I would recommend posting there.

The key is to layer since you never know what the weather will be like. It could be hot, warm, sunny, cold, windy, rainy or a combination of everything and will be cooler in the open sea and when sailing the glaciers.

Bring a water proof jacket, poncho, sweatshirt or fleece or sweatshirt, long pants, sports shoes, waterproof shoes if you have them. Also long sleeve shirts but also short sleeve shirts and even shorts.

Keith

If you think you'd use them in your "real life" a set of silky long underwear make a great base layer. If you live in Florida, it wouldn't be worth the money, but they are extremely warm and light weight.

My husband likes these: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hot+chillys&tag=googhydr-20&index=apparel&hvadid=32857959509&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11176678979407719524&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_25gcd1utux_b

I like these: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_19?url=search-alias%3Dapparel&field-keywords=cuddl%20duds%20climatesmart&sprefix=cuddl+duds+climates%2Capparel%2C158&rh=i%3Aapparel%2Ck%3Acuddl%20duds%20climatesmart

We're packing for the Norwegian fjords and arctic circle and they're definitely going with us.:)

• 4 weeks later...
Hello All,

Not our first cruise, but our first to Alaska. Going in June and looking for a little help with clothes we should pack for this adventure.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

I have found the weather can be good in May as well in September, maybe a little rain, this can happen anytime in Alaska. Be prepared.