"mostly covered" Epic balcony?

Has anyone stayed in one of the Epic balconies described as "mostly covered" on sdmike's thread? (8046-8047,8074-8075,9020-9021)

We discovered a good OBC deal from our online TA the last day of the sale, so I just picked a cabin based on decks plans. I wasn't aware until checking CC that some Epic balconies were fully exposed to floors above (I was on Epic before, but it was a studio.)

We're in 8074 by the forward elevators, a position I wanted. To get a fully covered balcony in category BC, we'd have to move to mid-ship, which is less convenient, or upgrade, which could affect the promotion.

So I'm trying to determine exactly what "mostly covered" means. If we're only in view while leaning at the railing, that would be OK, but if we can be seen while sitting, I'll definitely change cabins.

Thanks for any help

Has anyone stayed in one of the Epic balconies described as "mostly covered" on sdmike's thread? (8046-8047,8074-8075,9020-9021)

So I'm trying to determine exactly what "mostly covered" means. If we're only in view while leaning at the railing, that would be OK, but if we can be seen while sitting, I'll definitely change cabins.

Thanks for any help

Hi, I'm trying to find info as to whether you have what's called a "cove" balcony which is a covered and what I'd call "screened" balcony. check out post # 3 in this thread to see what I mean, although this isn't the Epic. Still searching for more info but thought this might help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1406582

No, I don't believe it's a "hull" or "cove" balcony. They would actually have more privacy. According to sdmike's great thread describing Epic cabins, many balconies on deck 8 don't have a "roof," and passengers above can look right onto the balcony below.

No worries, I enjoy helping others, especially since I'm usually the needing help, :D.

So this is what you're talking about from sdmike's thread about the cabins:

Deck 8 Midship:

8074 and 8075 are mostly covered, while 8076 and 8077 only have a small sliver of their balcony covered. 8110 and 8111 are about half covered. 8078 through 8109 are fully uncovered.

Deck 8 Aft:

There are only a handful of aft rooms on deck 8 that are uncovered. 8152, 8153, 8162 and 8163 are half covered. 8154 through 8161 are fully uncovered.

Unfortunately I paid little or no attention to the balconies below us, we were on deck 9 and it was great.

Take a look at http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/dragit2.php?ship=Norwegian%20Epic where you can drag deckpans with your mouse.

Lay 9 over 8 (allign the elevators shafts) and you will have an idea..

Here is a view on deck 8, 9 and what's above, midship:

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/47848957.jpg

Edited by FreestyleNovice

OP - That balcony only has a small sliver uncovered, according to what I can tell from the deck plans. Looking out the balcony door, only the right side by the railing should be exposed a little. However, since the plans are never to scale it's quite hard to tell for sure.

If you want to see what I mean, open up those drag-able deck plans that Freestyle Novice graciously posted. If you find your room on deck 8, then drag that over on top of the deck 9 layer using the elevators for alignment (keeping your finger on the mouse), you can see what I'm talking about.

I think it might be similar to where my arrow is pointing. You can see how deck 9 slants, creating a partial overhang. Again, don't crucify me if I'm wrong, since deck plans are notoriously inaccurate sometimes

Epicshipfront-vi.jpg

Mike

We are in 9063. Are we covered or not? So many things to think about!!

Totally covered, as a normal balcony. See the arrow on Mike's picture above? That points to deck 8. Go one deck up, count 6 or 7 staterooms to the left, just about in between the two lifeboats. That's the opposite side of 9063.

Totally covered, as a normal balcony. See the arrow on Mike's picture above? That points to deck 8. Go one deck up, count 6 or 7 staterooms to the left, just about in between the two lifeboats. That's the opposite side of 9063.

Thanks FreestyleNovice! By the way, not to hijack a thread, but I absolutely love Amsterdam. I've been there twice for business and can't wait to go back. The first time I spent a few days with a friend in Huizen, and we did some touristy trips around the country (Zaandam, Volendam, Lelystad) before I came home. Second time it was business during the day, and Leidseplein at night. Good times

Thanks for all the help, especially sdmike. :D Your photo was helpful, and your Epic cabin description threads are incredible.

We value our privacy enough not to risk this cabin (There's nothing like eating breakfast on the balcony in your bathrobes!)

We're switching to a B6 large balcony category on the 12th deck by the forward elevators. It didn't cost much more, and it takes away any worries about the balcony.

Thanks again.

Thanks FreestyleNovice! By the way, not to hijack a thread, but I absolutely love Amsterdam. I've been there twice for business and can't wait to go back. The first time I spent a few days with a friend in Huizen, and we did some touristy trips around the country (Zaandam, Volendam, Lelystad) before I came home. Second time it was business during the day, and Leidseplein at night. Good times

:D Great to hear, we try to make the best of our tiny country haha! Leidseplein is very nice. You've already seen half of Holland! Seen the tullip fields, rented a bicycle in Amsterdam, tried pannekoeken or stroopwafels? :D

I have actually stayed in one of the partially covered balconies. Approximately 1/4 of the balcony is open and u can see up the side of the ship and people can see onto ur balcony as well We didn't mind it and actually booked the same room for next year.

:D Great to hear, we try to make the best of our tiny country haha! Leidseplein is very nice. You've already seen half of Holland! Seen the tullip fields, rented a bicycle in Amsterdam, tried pannekoeken or stroopwafels? :D

I brought about 10 packages of stroopwafels home with me each time! lol. Haven't tried pannekoeken though!

I've not rented a bicycle, but I've been nearly run over by them several times. I"m not used to the sidewalk being a very dangerous place to stand! :)

I brought about 10 packages of stroopwafels home with me each time! lol. Haven't tried pannekoeken though!

I've not rented a bicycle, but I've been nearly run over by them several times. I"m not used to the sidewalk being a very dangerous place to stand! :)

Haha! Nice! On the news here last month they had an article about a woman from NY who started a stroopwafel business in NYC and it was a hit! You should conquer CA with those things. "Stroopwafel Mike" :D