Breakaway Ice Bar

NW Pacific

Any recent users? Would like to hear comments- we are going in 2 wks, thinking abut a new "experience"- fee? can you order a martini?

thanks

Yes, there is an admission fee. They only have a few drinks (which are included with the price of admission) in the Ice Bar that they make.

It was a "cool" experience :-)

Edited by sugarnyc

Great experience!! We went in last year, I think it was $20.00 and you were entitled to 2 drinks. Everything is made out of ice. The bar, chair even the glasses. We are also going in 2 wks hope you have a great time....

just my opinion,

You have to make a reservation, or if you are lucky you can join the next group if they have space available. You go in in groups but can leave whenever your feet are frozen ;) but to a maximum of 30 minutes I think ( next reservation ).

It is basically a meat freezer about 12X12 including a chairs, a sculpture and a bar, all made of ice. Very good craftsmanship. Is it "fabulous" no, it is "cool"...you bet.

They do provide a small pair of mittens and a winterized poncho. Almost everybody showed up in flip flops...after 5 minutes they where complaining about the cold. Wear shoes and enjoy.

You have the choice between, I think, 4 or 5 NYC themed drinks. Pre-made and not really good in our taste.

You can take pictures and video.

Did we enjoy it ? ... Yes

Would we do it again ? ... no

Have fun !

Went on my last cruise and had a gr8 time!:D Tip the bartender and asked him for a bit more vodka and bammmmmmm!:eek:;)

The bartender was our "regular" bartender from the Martini bar where we spent a lot of time and money and tips...:cool: ...

If you plan on giving a tip and get a stronger and better drink, bring cash because you do not have a slip to sign for the drinks and add the tip.

The bartender was our "regular" bartender from the Martini bar where we spent a lot of time and money and tips...:cool: ...

If you plan on giving a tip and get a stronger and better drink, bring cash because you do not have a slip to sign for the drinks and add the tip.

I too saw the bartender at the Martini tasting (which was excellent) and as you said it; cash is the ticket!;):cool::D Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

We went on the getaway. It was nice. They have nonalcoholic drinks for the

Kids. The glass is made of ice set in a real glass. If you don't finish your drink they let you take it with you.

image.jpg.a2af93dfec2d6a7c98263d847c60c249.jpg

Can't remember but pretty sure this link has the list of drinks!;) Enjoy!!:eek: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_091213

This list is for the Getaway out of Miami -- with "Miami" influenced drinks. The Breakaway I believe have "NYC" influenced drinks... not sure what that equates to content-wise, but I'm guessing they will be a little different.

Unfortunately, I'm the minority in this one. While we had fun at the ice bar, I didn't care too much for it. The reason why is because I've been to several ice bars on land, so I have something to compare.

My opinion - it looked like a walk-in freezer for food and they decided to make ice sculptures, put them around the room and called it an ice bar. I was really disappointed in the drinks since there were only a few to choose from. I imagine that NCL has a limited inventory of alcohol but I'm used to going to an ice bar where there are 2 dozen drinks to choose from and none of them froze at -5 degrees.

Still, if you've never been in an ice bar, I would definitely recommend this because it's unique. On any future NCL cruises we take, I'll skip the ice bar.

Here is a low quality, low light situation, panoramic pic taken with my Iphone...

Yes we were the last one in there...we are used to the cold ;) ...and everyone else wore flip flops and had frozen feet after 2 minutes :p

<a href=photo_zps1f486309.jpg' alt='photo_zps1f4

A view of 3 and 1/2 half of the walls. I am back against the wall and the first section on the left of the pic is actually part of the back wall, then the second section with the Statue of Liberty and the third section with a sculpture of..something :o is the left wall. The ESB sculpture and the bar are my opposite wall and then the right wall is the ice chair sculpture and the entry/exit door with a plastic curtain in front.

I know it's not a great pic...but that is what I got...

• 9 months later...

After spending the last upteen weeks in the frozen northeast US, the idea of entering ANYTHING frozen on my vacation just makes me CRINGE. I am SO tired of being outright frozen at any given moment of the day, that the thought of PAYING someone to let me be cold just gives me the shivers. Now if they had a Bermuda Sun bar complete with sand beaches, ocean waves lapping and a warm breeze you wouldn't be able to pry me away :D.

after spending the last upteen weeks in the frozen northeast us, the idea of entering anything frozen on my vacation just makes me cringe. I am so tired of being outright frozen at any given moment of the day, that the thought of paying someone to let me be cold just gives me the shivers. Now if they had a bermuda sun bar complete with sand beaches, ocean waves lapping and a warm breeze you wouldn't be able to pry me away :d.

i agree 100%

After spending the last upteen weeks in the frozen northeast US, the idea of entering ANYTHING frozen on my vacation just makes me CRINGE. I am SO tired of being outright frozen at any given moment of the day, that the thought of PAYING someone to let me be cold just gives me the shivers. Now if they had a Bermuda Sun bar complete with sand beaches, ocean waves lapping and a warm breeze you wouldn't be able to pry me away :D.

I think Cruise Critic needs a "Like" button. I totally agree with you, I'm going to get away from the cold!

... Cruise Critic needs a "Like" button ... going to get away from the cold!
and 18 days not being soon enough - by Day 7 (last full Sea Day) - we didn't see anyone by the Ice Bar or even the regular bar nearby, perhaps it was too early in the day, chilly once again in the outdoors and most had enough of the pool, moved back indoors.

IMG20140329_1058.jpg

What is needed is a Hawaiian themed bar with some beach chairs/loungers, Bermuda shorts to match the colorful shirt - and, a Pina Colada (non-alcohol for us) or Mai Tai's ... Mahalo :D