Just Asking!

Dame Delilah

I understand Dame Delilah posting on three separate boards---she did take three separate cruises with three different cruise lines (if you will forgive my inferring QM2 is a cruise ship).

Maybe, three ships in a row were too many ship days without a break and too much of strangers' company, night after night? I find I can get burned-out, by the end of a long time on a ship--if not by tablemates, by people coughing or sneezing around a ship, without covering their mouths… (But, that is another story : )

I think it would be very interesting if Dame Delilah wrote more of a review, comparing the three sailing. I would be interested in her thoughts on how each experience compared beyond the dinner tables…

I don't see that she expects to accomplish. What control do we or does anybody else have on the conversation and behavior of others? (BTW, since the OP is in the US I don't think she's a titled "Dame" by Her Majesty :D. Who's "one upping" whom? :p)

I've met passengers who love to socialize about the ship but want one on one privacy when dining. If the OP is this fed up with the real or perceived boasting by her table mates then a table for two will fix that.

Edited by BlueRiband

I thought is was "Dame" as in "there ain't nothing like a dame, nothing in the world" as in Rodgers and Hammerstein's South Pacific… Totally different connotation. Nobody's majesty involved… Americans fully welcome to participate.

But, then, I could be wrong. I was wrong about how many breakfasts I thought people thought I had on the QM2...

BlueRiband, no question you are the voice of reason. I'm bowing out of this discussion, while still hoping the Dame will contribute more than the post which started this thread.

Well, my boardname is Cruachan but I'm not a mountain in Scotland!

:D:D

J

That surely depends on whether you are in your pre-cruise starvation phase or recovering from twenty-odd days of three brekkers.

Jane

I had a nasty experience on our last cruise. We were at a table for 6 for breakfast and everyone seemed friendly until the lady next to me asked what I do (she had already told us she was doing post doctorate research). Without thinking I told her I am a Childminder.

From that moment on she completely blanked me and only talked to the other couple on the table. I felt completely humiliated and was very upset.

Her loss! The best days of the cruise were the two I spent with you and your husband.

I spent a year as a nanny when I first moved from Australia to London. I had a similar experience once on holiday. It's sad when we are judged by our jobs rather than who we are.

I find I can get burned-out, by the end of a long time on a ship--if not by tablemates, by people coughing or sneezing around a ship, without covering their mouths… (But, that is another story : )

Been there, done that! I stopped going to the dining room last November. One of my table mates was a nice lady but too frail to get her hand up to her mouth when she coughed - and it was unfortunate that she was sitting next to me on our second night and coughed in the direction of my plate. After dinner I had my arm on the table and noticed that it was getting wet as she talked. Seeing I was travelling with a friend who preferred the Lido, I decided I may as well join her. ;)

Well, my boardname is Cruachan but I'm not a mountain in Scotland!

:D:D

J

I saw the photo of Cruachan the 3rd who has just retired from regimental service and been replaced presumably with Cruachan the 4th ?. I toyed with the idea of posting the newspaper photo for you , but assumed you would probably already have your hoof on the pulse.

Had two bad experiences so now always as for a table for two. A couple of years ago, we were seated at a table for 8 - two couples who were supposedly friends but who had had a row and another couple who were on their first cruise. They did nothing but moan and complain the whole time. And, guess what - we were the only couple who turned up for dinner on the last night - what a surprise - at least it was peaceful.

Just got back last week from a different cruise line. On last morning, we decided to have a leisurely breakfast in mdr. No tables for 2 left. Were seated with another couple and a lone lady. From the minute we sat down, she complained about anything and everything. Also told us that she was travelling with a friend who had gone to the buffet that morning and had told her she was a snob for always insisting on going to the mdr because that was 'what i have paid for'. Her voice was rising and I was getting more and more upset so stood up and said that I had had a lovely cruise and I wasn't prepared to listen to her. The md was standing behind us and I asked him to move us to another table.

Back to the tables for 2 although our next QM2 cruise is a party of 6 so should be ok there.

Sandie

Edited by slhw
Spelling

How will I ever get to 5,000 posts myself, if I'm required to read countless old posts to understand subtle references (and undertones) of current posts???

Jimmy, I just got to 1,000 posts (after 9 years on the board), simply by replying to yours. :D

Way-to-go Lurker1!!!!!! ; )

You've got to bear in mind that anyone with more than 5,000 posts is nothing more or less than a lazy, shiftless, idle layabout with too much time on his hands and way too much to say for himself. :cool:

J

Edited by Cruachan

You've got to bear in mind that anyone with more than 5,000 posts is nothing more or less than a lazy, shiftless, idle layabout with too much time on his hands and way too much to say for himself. :cool:

J

Indeed!

Sir Martin