Azura cruise ... A couple of (mixed) questions

Ally be

Hi ...

Just a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

a) Has anyone come across any NON alcoholic wine on the wine list or know if it is available?

b) Green tea, readily available or should I bring my own?

c) I know this has been asked on previous threads but I just need some claification. Check in at Southampton. This is my first cruise out of the UK, I have been in a major bun fight at Genoa, stood in a queue at Barcelona for 2 hours and walked straight on board in Miami but how do we do Brits do it on home turf? I have an allocated time of 3:30pm for arrival at Ocean terminal, (I will probably arrive earlier due to logistics) I believe I will be given a card and I will then be called to board by deck. My question is, if I arrive early, approx 1:00pm will I be sat in a holding pen for 2 and 1/2 hours waiting to board?

Due to previous experience at the Med ports I am somewhat reluctant to subject myself to chaos, short tempers, and squashed toes again!!

i am hoping P&O HQ is a tad more organised.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies

Kind regards

A x

Not sure about non-alcoholic wine, look on the P and O frequently asked questions, there are wine lists on there.

Green tea is available, but it may be better to bring your own if you like a particular brand, which is what my friend did. A few tea bags will not take up much space or weight.

We arrived two hours early for our recent cruise. Our car was unloaded, luggage taken away and car driven off by the friendly staff. Up the escalator and into check in, we were allocated a letter, in our case 'P' and called to the checkin desk by letter. No more than 15 minutes waiting time and lots of seating. On board and straight into lunch. No more than half an hour from start to finish and no crushes, all very well organised with helpful staff. The cabins are not usually ready until 2pm, but you can sit in the buffet or any of the other lounges or explore the ship.

Another advantage of going from Southampton is that you may take as much luggage as you like.

P&O use Twinings tea and have all varieties on board including green tea. If you like Twinings then there is no need to take your own.

The checkin opens at noon and you can board straight away after checkin and security. If there are a lot of people you will be given a lettered card and may have to wait in the lounge until your letter is called, usually no longer than 30 mins. Checkin and boarding is done in order of arrival time, not by deck. Lunch is available in the self service till 3pm after which sandwiches/cakes, etc, are available.

Brian

I agree with the previous reply regarding Green Tea, and can't help with non alcoholic wine.

My brother embarked Azura yesterday, they had short queue for CPS parking about a 20 minute wait. They got in to Ocean terminal at just gone 2, had boarding card "R". "G" was being called, they didn't get on board until 3:40pm. So had a bit if a wait.

So I guess the answer to your question is, it depends when the other passengers turn up, as to how long you will wait.

The nice thing about Ocean is there is plenty of seating and the whole process is very orderly and controlled.

Hi ...

Just a couple of questions I hope you can help with.

a) Has anyone come across any NON alcoholic wine on the wine list or know if it is available?

b) Green tea, readily available or should I bring my own?

c) I know this has been asked on previous threads but I just need some claification. Check in at Southampton. This is my first cruise out of the UK, I have been in a major bun fight at Genoa, stood in a queue at Barcelona for 2 hours and walked straight on board in Miami but how do we do Brits do it on home turf? I have an allocated time of 3:30pm for arrival at Ocean terminal, (I will probably arrive earlier due to logistics) I believe I will be given a card and I will then be called to board by deck. My question is, if I arrive early, approx 1:00pm will I be sat in a holding pen for 2 and 1/2 hours waiting to board?

Due to previous experience at the Med ports I am somewhat reluctant to subject myself to chaos, short tempers, and squashed toes again!!

i am hoping P&O HQ is a tad more organised.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your replies

Kind regards

A x

Whatever the rights and wrongs of ignoring your time for boarding remember the time given is not the time to turn up. It is your boarding time. So even if you stick to it completely you should be in the terminal a good half hour before that time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Non alcoholic wine was not available on Ventura last year. I don't know if things have changed since but I can tell you that my wife was quite disappointed that they didn't have it on board and she told them so in the end of cruise report. She was actually told by the wine waiter that there was no call for it.

I'm afraid I can't help with the wine and tea questions.....

When we went on the Ventura last year from ocean terminal, we had a short wait until our card was called.

In march on the Oceana, we decided to go to the port around 11.30 as we were just sitting waiting in our hotel reception and thought we were as we'll sitting waiting at the port. Arrived about 12 and was directed straight to check in and boarded straight away.

Obviously we were delighted, but I've heard varying stories.

We are sailing on azura in June and are staying in a hotel again the night before so will most probably just head to the port early again and if we have to wait, we are no worse off than sitting in hotel reception.

I would bring a small supply of green tea with you just in case. On Oriana recently there were several kinds of green / white / herbal teas 'available' but it was a lottery if there were any teabags on the buffet or not...

I personally wouldnt leave embarkation as late as three. For first cruise we were told board at three, arrived 2:30 ish. There was a short wait before our letter group was called to board which is no issue BUT by the time we got on it was about 3:30, nearly time for the 4:00 pm muster drill so no time to unpack / explore / eat. By the time we got out of the drill restaurant was closed to set up buffet dinner. It would have been a long time til second sitting if it hadnt been for the Pool pizza bar :-)

For our second cruise we wanted to maximize our first day on board and got there before 12. Joined the line, on board in about 20 minutes.

You can never guarantee you wont have a wait, but 1 -2 seems to be busy time.

Just a thought if embarking in Southampton can you not take your own non-alcoholic wine? wonder if they would charge corkage with it not being alcohol you would be able to drink it in the cabin though if you wanted.

I drink peppermint tea, I collected my first bag from the buffet and asked our cabin stewardess when she introduced herself. After that we got a mixture of Everyday & peppermint.

You may be disappointed at breakfast/dinner, if you want anything out of the ordinary you'll get a teabag in a cup, no tea-pot.