Simple camera for technology challenged wife

It's true - if you are not taking pictures that you will print, say 8x10 and above, an iPhone will do very nicely.

BUT, an iPhone is also a phone - which generally means paying through the nose each month for service charges. Depending on what your service plan (Sprint, AT&T, VZ etc) is, you could be spending enough in two years to buy a Nikon/Canon/ etc DSLR.

You'd be better off getting a P&S like the Panasonic for your wife. You can also buy a charger for the batteries which YOU can charge for her!

The i-phone camera is crap. Either that or something was wrong with mine.

I don't believe that any phone should be viewed as a substitute for carrying a real camera, but the camera on my iPhone 5s is really amazing. I am consistently surprised by the quality of the images. Not terribly good for zooming, but other than that, it's nice to know I always have the phone if something presents itself when I don't have a camera with me.

I'll have to throw in another (slight) nod to smartphone cameras. Before I got my Nokia Icon, I carried my HX5V everywhere. Not now. I may get an RX-100 III to replace the compact, but the phone's remarkable quality is certainly reducing the urgency to do so.

Sleeping grandson (no post processing)

p790497058-5.jpg

Helping hand (grainy B&W effect)

p629606798-5.jpg

Big change in the last year or so...

Dave

Edited by pierces

Look at an i-Pad mini. Simple to use.

There are 4 problems with using an ipad-mini or an ipad as a camera -

1) the quality of the pictures stink

2) you have to carry the thing around with you

3) you like like idiots holding the thing in front of you when you take the pictures

4) you block everyone's view of what they are trying to look at

DON

Well I went to Wal-Mart today and bought a Vivitar X022 camera. It was on sale for $22 and is a 10MP with no auto focus and one simple on/off button and it takes 3 AAA batteries. I am looking at it as almost being disposable. I put a 2gig SD card in it and it definitely looks like something she can handle. ;)