Issue with stewards leaving cabins open during cleaning

FritzG

This happens across different cruise lines. On a previous Royal Caribbean cruise I went back to my cabin to retrieve my E-Reader only to find that my cabin door was open, no cabin attendant in sight (he went to the supply cabinet to get something) and a couple (strangers) walking around our cabin and balcony. When I questioned them they told me they just wanted to see what a Jr. Suite looked like and gave me an attitude when I asked them to leave.

Later on I politely ask the cabin attendant that if he needed to leave to please close my door and then I told him why. He apologized and as far as I know he never let it happen again.

That is totally unacceptable. Passenger services and security and the supervisor of the room steward would have heard about it pronto from us!!

If I found strangers in my cabin, I would have called security STAT! Attitude, my ***!!!

Agreed. It's unacceptable to enter someone's cabin without an invitation. I've heard of stewards inviting people into suites for a look. That is also unacceptable. Hope we never encounter that. I'd be absolutely livid.

I checked. The official rule is that cabin doors are to be at least partially opened while being serviced, and locked when the steward is not in the immediate vicinity (some for example open connecting doors and work two cabins at the same time, so both doors should be open).

While officially a no-no, stewards generally can let pax (mainly B2B) peek in UNOCCUPIED cabins without getting in trouble during turnaround day provided it doesn't affect their duties or delay any other ship processes. Once any luggage or any belongings are in the cabin, it must be locked when the steward is not present.

When we did late departure on RCCL in Barcelona, the steward was happy to give us a quick tour of one of the suites and also let us in to the Ben and Jerry's sweet to look at it for a moment. Passengers from both cabins had departed, of course.

If I found strangers in my cabin, I would have called security STAT! Attitude, my ***!!!

If I found strangers in my room, security would have had to be called on me! :mad:

Darn straight! :mad::eek: