Packing Suggestions Solstice Thanksgiving Cruise 12 day Sydney to Auckland

gaa2

First timers on Celebrity and first time to these ports. Would appreciate advice for attire on ship (12days =3 formal nights???) and attire in ports (likely hot and humid??). My impression was that I could wear a little black dress or equivalent for formal nights with a casual dress or slacks/nice top for other nights. Our dining is AQ Blu but I don't know if that is less formal than the MDR. Will we need rain ponchos for excursions in Austin/NZ late Nov-early Dec? Bug spray? I am a mosquito magnet.

Thank you!

Shouldn't be too hot. That time of year is usually quite pleasant in places like Sydney and Auckland but it can still be quite chilly on the South Island of NZ. Rain is always a possibility at that time of year in any NZ/Aus ports but hopefully not excessive. Bugs should not be a huge problem but mosquitoes are common from December to March.

The clothes you described will be find for on the ship. During the day it is very casual. Blu is smart casual and above every night - formal is optional. People do dress up on formal nights but you will see all sorts of clothing in Blu.

If you're a mosquito magnet, I'd definitely take some bug spray!

As the previous poster stated, dress in Blu is smart casual and above every night, so no need to fuss about formal clothes. Your LBD will be just fine. I'd take some different necklaces or scarves to change up the look and wear that on the formal nights in Blu when people tend to get a bit more dressed up.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the advice. On cruise in April the sand fleas were out in full force on Roatan. I was prepared with Avon Skin So Soft (Deet doesn't deter them) and I did not have a single bite, while my daughter and her friend each had around 30! I heard NZ gets sand fleas so I will bring the magic lotion...was not sure if the Mosquitos would be an issue, like they were in Alaska.

We were on Solstice out of Sydney Nov 25 2013 to Auckland, 12 nights. It was cool and rainy in Sydney for our day and overnight there; sunny and quite hot in Melbourne. The crossing to NZ and the fiords were clear and lovely but we did have cold, wet and windy in Wellington, pelting rain mixed with a few snow flurries. The very nice umbrellas that Celebrity allows you to take form your stateroom were useless in the wind! Bring a hooded rain jacket and a fleece vest for the cold and wet; convertible pants that have zip-off legs and convert to shorts are great for varied weather conditions. The rest of our ports were sunny and comfortable. We didn't have mosquitos and only had sand flies on our land tour to the fiords (after the cruise), not while on ship. I'd recommend dressing as comfortably and simply for dinner as you can, repeating outfits is fine, change a few accessories, remembering that packing fewer clothes usually makes it easier. Hope you enjoy this amazing cruise. m--

This was exactly the type of input I needed because you were there at the same time of year. We will pack differently in light of your comments. We were thinking it plus be like a summer cruise to the Caribbean! Appreciate the heads' up re: hooded rain poncho/jacket. Many thanks

Thanks that's helpful info for us as well since we are doing the same cruise 3 weeks earlier beginning November 3.

A couple of weeks earlier might even yield cooler temps than during Thanksgiving. Good stuff.