Final Bill

Can I clear up the final bill situation?

During the online check in I provided my credit card details that was to be used for all purchases/charges on board. However can I change which card I wish to pay this from at the end of the cruise? for example I give them my CC details to hold during the cruise but when paying off the final balance can I just pay this with my debit card?

I take it final bills are paid when leaving the ship? Is this a long painful experience standing in a huge queue?

Thanks as always

During the online check in I provided my credit card details that was to be used for all purchases/charges on board. However can I change which card I wish to pay this from at the end of the cruise? for example I give them my CC details to hold during the cruise but when paying off the final balance can I just pay this with my debit card?

I take it final bills are paid when leaving the ship? Is this a long painful experience standing in a huge queue?

Thanks as always

Yes, you can pay off your onboard account on the last night of the cruise, with whatever type of payment you wish, and it can be a different form than you used at check-in.

Lines at Guest Services do tend to be longer on the last night.

So do you need to pay on last night or the morning you get off the ship?

Yes, unless you want them to charge the credit or debit card you used at check-in. Also, you can change the credit/debit card they have on file anytime during the cruise.

Thanks as always

I agree with others that the lines are long. I can easily make an RC card payment online when I get home transferring from my checking. That way I keep the double points that come from onboard purchases.

So do you need to pay on last night or the morning you get off the ship?

You don't need to wait in any line if you leave payment on the credit/debit card you use at check-in. They will leave your final bill at/under your door during the last night - if everything looks okay, you don't have to do anything.

You don't need to wait in any line if you leave payment on the credit/debit card you use at check-in. They will leave your final bill at/under your door during the last night - if everything looks okay, you don't have to do anything.

Thats handy.

Do they hold back money back on your debit card as some people have suggested?

It does happen to some. It seems to be a combination of how Royal charges the debit card and how the financial institution processes the transactions. Better to use a credit card than a debit card.

It would not be an uncommon practice for them to have an "authorization hold" for some amount based on an estimated balance.

That would not appear as a charge, but could reduce your available funds for 10 days or so (banking practices).

For that reason, a debit card may not be the best option for some cruisers.

Royal has the following travel tip on the last page of the booking confirmation (PDF)

When deciding which Credit/Debit card to associate with your SeaPass onboard spending account, please keep in mind that temporary holds may be placed on your funds and these can take up to 24 – 48 hours after your cruise to drop off of your account.