Miami Help and Car

luvsvacations

Due to a change in plans we were going to go to WDW in Orlando - so that is where are plane takes off and leaves from. We decided to do a Disney cruise instead. So - my logistics problem - it will be about 7:30 pm or so before we get to Miami from the MCO airport - we need a hotel that night - should I look for a hotel where I can keep the rental or would it be better to turn it in and re-rent after we get back. It is a 4 night cruise. I am thinking it would be better to park and leave it but a little nervous about leaving a rental......did not think about this when we made the cruise plans. Just a clean, comfortable room - well probably 2 room for 4 females. Thanks

Why would you want to pay for a rental car and parking while you cruise? :confused:

Alamo, National & Thrifty offer free shuttles to/from POM from their MIA airport location. You could stay near MIA or north of Miami (Fort Lauderdale or even Plam Beach area) and then drive to MIA the morning of your cruise, drop the car and shuttle to POM. The drive from Orlando to Miami is easy and only takes about 3.5 hours - you could even get an early morning start after spending another night in your Orlando hotel.

Post cruise you can shuttle back to MIA and pick up another car.

It does seem silly to have the car sit but right now the price for a rental is not any cheaper for 2 seperate reservations than it is for 1 reservation. Maybe I will just look for a hotel that has parking while I am there - unless I come up with 2 good car rental prices. Thanks

It does seem silly to have the car sit but right now the price for a rental is not any cheaper for 2 seperate reservations than it is for 1 reservation. Maybe I will just look for a hotel that has parking while I am there - unless I come up with 2 good car rental prices. Thanks

It may not be cheaper, but you will be responsible for the car while it is parked in Miami and you are on cruise. I would turn in the car.

Most of the Miami hotels offering cruise parking deals are out near the MIA airport - COmfort Suites North, La Quinta East and Springhill Suites Medical Center are oftne suggested budget options with cruise parking packages that include POM shuttles; you will need a cab ($20-30) to get back to your car.

Personally I'd probably rent once & be done with it for that short of a cruise, but there's really no right or wrong way.

Picking up/dropping off/refueling all eats in to your vacation time.

Edited by aria48

We've found Sixt Miami downtown convenient, they are at 330 Se 1st St (around the corner of the metromover Bayfront Park stop).

Pick up (resevered through Sixt) went smooth and fast, great service and even offering bottled water for in the car. Drop off was even easier, park the car and handing in the key. Rented twice and both times were perfect.

Renting before and after shouldn't cost you a lot of extra time.

Thanks that is what I am leaning towards as I heard it is easy to park right at the port.

It is easy to park at POM - convenient, covered and secure - and costs $20/day.