Black and White Ball

newone1960

Only the Queens Room on QM2 wears only black and white for the Black and White Ball and that's just banners hanging from the ceiling. The gentlemen wear tuxedos and the ladies wear their fanciest duds, sometimes with black and white accents. It's just a ball, have one, and don't sweat its hype name.

Black and white are not a necessity at all. A lot of people wear either color or a combination of them because they are in most people's wardrobes. Not everyone does. Whatever you want to wear that evening is fine.

Black and white are not a necessity at all. A lot of people wear either color or a combination of them because they are in most people's wardrobes. Not everyone does. Whatever you want to wear that evening is fine.

This is true but there is something special (dramatic, old-time elegance, sophisticated, grand, etc.) about seeing most people dressed up in black and/or white.

This is true but there is something special (dramatic, old-time elegance, sophisticated, grand, etc.) about seeing most people dressed up in black and/or white.

I agree. It's true that not everyone bothers, but in my limited experience a lot of people do, and it does create a special atmosphere - not just in the Queens Room, but all over the ship. And of course it's much easier to do than the other 'themed' balls. In my (again limited) experience, most ladies seem to opt for black dresses with white accents, rather than the other way around.

As has been said, though, it' not something to get hung up about - the main thing is that almost everyone does their best to dress nicely. Relax and enjoy!

What do gents wear and what do ladies wear, I know it sounds obvious but I just thought I would ask. I'm not really keen on wearing a white dress.

Why not wear a black dress with a white Pashmina?

It is not only the QM2 that wear black & white for the black & white ball! It is well and truly supported on the QV - ladies typically wear black evening dresses with white stole (although cream is very popular as softer), and plenty of black/white evening necklaces & evening bags. Some men opt for a white bow tie instead of black. On my first voyage on the QV I wore a black dress and a silk red rose jacket and I was the only lady in the Britannia restaurant that had an alternative colour on - so I soon took it off! These were also summer cruises.

It is not only the QM2 that wear black & white for the black & white ball! It is well and truly supported on the QV - ladies typically wear black evening dresses with white stole (although cream is very popular as softer), and plenty of black/white evening necklaces & evening bags. Some men opt for a white bow tie instead of black. On my first voyage on the QV I wore a black dress and a silk red rose jacket and I was the only lady in the Britannia restaurant that had an alternative colour on - so I soon took it off! These were also summer cruises.

I would say that the Black and White Ball is probably the most supported one of all. You, of course, don't have to abide by it but most ladies have a black dress in their wardrobe and you can dress it up with white accessories. Great fun.

regards Pat

Thanks for all your comments. I actually found a really nice black and white dress that I had forgotten about in my wardrobe so I will wear that one. I didn't want to wear a black dress as the following evening is the New Years Eve ball and I will probably wear my long black evening dress to that. :)