Corkscrew with Wine Purchase Aboard NCL?

geminierin

Hi all, I'm cruising aboard the NCL Jade in July. I pre-purchased two bottles of wine (via NCL.com) as stateroom gifts. For those of you that have done so on NCL (please don't guess) do they include a corkscrew with the purchase? The description doesn't mention one.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Doubt it. When my husband ordered a bottle of wine for me there was no corkscrew. However, many bottles have screw caps now. Many years ago we were going to open a bottle in our fridge but had no corkscrew so took bottle to bars but they didn't have a corkscrew either. You can a wine bottle opener that is not a corkscrew. One slides two thin slides down along the cork and you just pull cork up & out.

Doubt it. When my husband ordered a bottle of wine for me there was no corkscrew. However, many bottles have screw caps now. Many years ago we were going to open a bottle in our fridge but had no corkscrew so took bottle to bars but they didn't have a corkscrew either. You can a wine bottle opener that is not a corkscrew. One slides two thin slides down along the cork and you just pull cork up & out.

That type OP wine opener is called an "ah-so" opener.

I always have a small, travel lightweight corkscrew in my suitcase.

Most liquor stores have these convenient, inexpensive models.

Any wine drinking traveler should have one on hand. :)

I try to be as independent and take care of our needs with the least amount of bother. If I have my own materials with us, I don't have to be bothered going down to a bar hoping I can borrow one with the expectation the odds are 50-50 at best. If I can provide simple things we could want, I've made everyone's life easier...... most of all my own. :D The foolish wine opener I mention costs about $2.99 and probably weighs about 3 oz. No big deal to bring one?

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks everyone! You've been so helpful. Though we're American, we currently live in Saudi, where alcohol is illegal, so small chance of buying one here before we go on our cruise:)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you doing a pre-cruise stay in the embarkation city before your cruise?

Most places where you would be embarking (obviously, other than Saudi) would have liquor stores/convenience stores/general merchandise locations such as CVS and Walgreens (in U.S.A.) etc. They all have cork screws. Likely you'll pass by one going to from the airport/port/hotel.

If in Europe, it's just as easy to find places to purchase a cork screw, if you wish to buy one.

Edited by sail7seas

I travel with a Swiss Army pen knife (in my checked in baggage) which can open any alcohol container upto and including a wooden beer barrel! (aluminium one might be a challenge though). It's the ex-soldier habit in me I guess.;)

We always carry at least one corkscrew and crown top opener in our checked baggage - just in case ('scuse the pun).

Edited by SteveH2508