Transatlantic Cruise Advice please

DaisyUK

It is very interesting up in the rock. The taxi is not much money. You get to see the Monkeys, but watch them. They are intelligent, but can be mean. We stayed in the car. We got out and went in the tunnel where the Army was. I felt it was very enlightening. Then the taxi was waiting and took us back to the little town. I would love to go back, but I love history.

I will indeed. We have gone ahead and booked the November 2015 crossing, and are waitlisted for an Oc Suite on the April 2015 crossing. The Vista did become available, but I'm not sure a Vista suite is such a good idea on a translatlantic (not that I'm any expert, but having read reviews of the Vista suite it would seem that one of the major advantages is the generous balcony at the front, which I don't think we'd get the benefit of on a transatlantic, so don't think the additional cost worth it in this case).

It's a long time to wait but, in the meantime, we're looking forward to our first Oceania cruise in August this year.

The VS in the front of the ship are also the absolute worst place to be if you encounter horrible weather as we just did coming from Bermuda to Norfolk in April.

The VS in the front of the ship are also the absolute worst place to be if you encounter horrible weather as we just did coming from Bermuda to Norfolk in April.

Ah, thanks for that. Only cruised one other time, so not sure of the relative advantages/disadvantages of position within the ship, but having read a lot of reviews and opinions on these forums, that's the conclusion I reached.

Hopefully you have booked your TA and are getting excited to sail. Our one and only TA was in April from Miami to Barcelona. We did have a couple of rough weather days but you plan for these with medication and lots of ginger. Also ask for green apples and crackers. The weather you can't control but your boredom you can. We also were concerned about what we would do during all of the sea days. We had difficulty scheduling all of the activities we were interested in doing. This was our most relaxing cruise. We were able to slow down and truly enjoy ourselves. A TA aboard the Riviera will not be disappointing.

Ah, thanks for that. Only cruised one other time, so not sure of the relative advantages/disadvantages of position within the ship, but having read a lot of reviews and opinions on these forums, that's the conclusion I reached.

We had absolutely no problems with the location of our deck 12 VS on our Barcelona to Rio crossing last year.....very little movement and favourable winds all the way,...wemspent at least a quarter of our day on the veranda. My partner and I have two more crossings booked in the same suite next year on the strength of this :)

We loved our Miami to Barcelona T/A in April so much (as we have every other T/A we've taken) that we have now booked April 2015 from Tahiti to Lima. Seems to be space on it for anyone considering such a voyage. Having never done the South Pacific before, we figured it would give us the opportunity to see those gorgeous islands as well as plenty of days at sea (our favorite) on the way back to South America!

Yes - I meant April 2015! April 1 to be precise!! And I cannot wait. But will have to.

thanks for the tip about going up the rock. I have been thinking about that but (even though I am Swiss!) I don't like téléphériques (cable cars) and neither do I much like narrow roads and I understand that it is either one or the other to go up to the top. Maybe I will just shut my eyes and take a taxi up there anyway. I have seen the rock from the sea several times - once at night, all lit up! - and it looks impressive. Siege tunnels? Not so sure. But what is the town like? Worth it or not?

DaisyUK - let me know if you take the Vista suite and will be on the cruise!

We did finally book this cruise. Missed the Vista, but waitlisted...