Am I being petty?

smeck

This is so interesting to me. Our TA gives us nothing. Nada. We choose the cruise and the cabin, and then tell her to book it. If a problem comes up, she handles it, but I'm not sure I understand the concept of "Give me something in exchange for my business.". Doesn't it come out of their commission?

What has our society become? Sincerely asking, not being facetious. :o

Come out of their commission, what if they own the place?

A friend of ours works for a small travel agency and is paid hourly if I book through her the agency / she gives us a bottle of wine. I told her to ask the owner to give more to be competitive but they won't so I use another agency that gives more then a bottle of wine.

In other words instead of making a few hundred dollars on my booking they get nothing and lose my business.

I just booked a B2B cruise on the Quantum repositioning to Singapore spring of 2015. I did it through a Royal Carribean agent as I had to transfer 2 existing bookings. I researched the deck plans and picked the room as the online agents know little about the ships and the Quantum isn't even built yet. The 1st agent I got did not think I could even book it. I got the standard on board credit from Royal for using a future cruise credit and nothing else as they won't budge on that cruise as it is "special".

I called our agent and she gave $750.00 OBC for an inside with virtual balcony on a 28 day cruise. The only work she did was transfer the cruise over from Royal and I gave her the booking numbers we will use the credit to pay gratuities.

I recommend our agent to friends and people who ask who we book through not our friend who is an agent.

She gets upset as few of her knowledgeable friends will book through her and maybe we would if she got the commission but it goes to the owner so I would rather have it in my pocket and take a nice bottle of wine to her house when we visit.

Edited by baldercash

I've found you generally are, ;) but in this case, you have a right to feel under appreciated...but maybe you should ask "why" first? Royal is famous for not "delivering" on stuff that's purchased pre cruise, delivering it late, or heck, not at all. Your TA could have had a glitch with their system of ordering items that usually gets done (the person in charge of that went out on maternity leave or some other simple explanation) If you don't ask, you won't know, and if they are otherwise attentive and things don't fall through the cracks, you might cut them some slack. If generally you've noticed service drop off, then no it's not perry, it's your right to move on to someone who will give you what you want.

Hope you get a good explanation! :D

I've found you generally are, ;) but in this case, you have a right to feel under appreciated...but maybe you should ask "why" first? Royal is famous for not "delivering" on stuff that's purchased pre cruise, delivering it late, or heck, not at all. Your TA could have had a glitch with their system of ordering items that usually gets done (the person in charge of that went out on maternity leave or some other simple explanation) If you don't ask, you won't know, and if they are otherwise attentive and things don't fall through the cracks, you might cut them some slack. If generally you've noticed service drop off, then no it's not perry, it's your right to move on to someone who will give you what you want.

Hope you get a good explanation! :D

My sensitive side asks do you really think I'm generally petty.:(

This is so interesting to me. Our TA gives us nothing. Nada. We choose the cruise and the cabin, and then tell her to book it. If a problem comes up, she handles it, but I'm not sure I understand the concept of "Give me something in exchange for my business.". Doesn't it come out of their commission?

So you think giving an incentive or discount in order to earn someone's business somehow indicates the breakdown of society? That's been happening pretty much since cavemen started trading rocks for other rocks ;)

It's a competitive world out there, and people just don't need TAs like they used to. 20+ years ago you needed a TA to research prices on flights and cruises, do the bookings, etc. Now not so much.

So they give up part of their commission to entice people to book with them, otherwise why should anyone use a TA to book a cruise? To call and make the booking? Meh I can do that myself, and not have to go through a middle man.

To be honest I do think you are petty.

While I agree with many others that this might very well be an oversight and many times gifts are misplaced by the cruiseline I don´t think you can or should expect anything.

You agreed to a deal and were happy with your TA all the years without getting any perks included. The bottle of wine and strawberries were gifts and not part of the deal. IMHO you have no ground to stand on being upset. If they had promised you These gifts as part of the deal, then yes, but as it is - no and you are petty being upset about this.

So you ALWAYS pay retail when you shop? Even if another store has the exact same item for 20% off? I get really nice cash back from my TA. And I give her lots of business. Works out great for both of us. We have had our business relationship for years.

If you choose to do the work and then hand if off to someone to make money on what you did...that is your business. Some of us do otherwise.

As far as coming out of their commission. If you ever buy ANYTHING on sale then that comes out of the stores profit. So what is the difference?

Do you people know what kind of shape the economy is in? Not good. Sometimes, people think about surviving...

jc

And sometimes people have money to burn....

We are witnessing ONE man purchasing a Basketball Team for 2 BILLION Dollars!!!!

So your point is...?

Sadly, in the UK we don't seem to get benefits from TAs on the whole. I am sure there are exceptions but the only thing I got from my TA two cruises ago was a lanyard! And on the last cruise they didn't even provide that so I have stopped using a TA and book direct now. Rarely are there any offers going and it would account for why TAs are closing down on the high street.

OOPS, was that your wine.....I found it in the hallway and it was shouting out at me to " DRINK ME ".....so I borrowed it for the night. If I knew you were going to post on CC...I might have rethought what I did...but I passed out after drinking the entire bottle. Sorry...but tell your TA, A better Vintage is what you want on your next Cruise!

My Name is MIKE!! :)

Mike

We have used the same TA for nearly 20 years, we book a cruise every year with them, then last year we booked a Caribbean cruise for 5 people in July and a med cruise in Oct for 11 people, which was nearly £17,00 in total for last year alone, and never had a thing from them ever !!!

And sometimes people have money to burn....

We are witnessing ONE man purchasing a Basketball Team for 2 BILLION Dollars!!!!

So your point is...?

With money he has earned since February. That is what happens when the banks are propped up and since actually building and making things are difficult and unprofitable those owning or trading stocks make out like bandits.

My point is maybe the TA is having a hard time paying his/her bills because his/her agency is not making enough profit that he / she can not afford to buy bread for his/her family.

jc

My point is maybe the TA is having a hard time paying his/her bills because his/her agency is not making enough profit that he / she can not afford to buy bread for his/her family.

jc

So does that mean that it is your responsibility to pay him/her more? I am the customer and I am going to go where I can get the best deal. I am not going to pay one retailer more than another for the same thing because their cost structure is different. That is their problem. They need to figure out how to make their business work, make a profit and be competitive. If they can't do that, maybe its time to choose a different line of work. Its not the responsibility of the customer to pay more to subsidize the business. And lets be real, when you book a cruise with no OBC back to you, you are paying more.

So does that mean that it is your responsibility to pay him/her more? I am the customer and I am going to go where I can get the best deal. I am not going to pay one retailer more than another for the same thing because their cost structure is different. That is their problem. They need to figure out how to make their business work, make a profit and be competitive. If they can't do that, maybe its time to choose a different line of work. Its not the responsibility of the customer to pay more to subsidize the business. And lets be real, when you book a cruise with no OBC back to you, you are paying more.

Nope, as someone stated earlier if you negotiated wine and strawberries and didn't get them you should be unhappy. If you get them as a surprise and then you don't get them later you should be happy they gave you a "gift" before not mad they didn't give you a gift now.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

Nope, as someone stated earlier if you negotiated wine and strawberries and didn't get them you should be unhappy. If you get them as a surprise and then you don't get them later you should be happy they gave you a "gift" before not mad they didn't give you a gift now.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

Totally agree.

I totally agree with you whole heartedly

Sometimes the gifts 'get lost'.

Last time my TA said 'enjoy the bottle of wine' but I didn't get one.

I emailed her from the ship, she followed up & they had misplaced the order.

So it's good to ask 'I'm missing the bottle of wine you usually give me'.

I agree!

Did you ever consider that this could be an RCI snafu?

I agree!

Did you ever consider that this could be an RCI snafu?

I'm not jumping to conclusions as of yet. I'm not going to call and ask either, I'm sure they'll contact us within the next few weeks and we'll see how it goes.

Your TA may never know they were not delivered unless they ask you. I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Instead, I would say to your TA "Just to let you know, RCI did not send your usual champagne and strawberries, which you always send us. I hope you didn't pay for it."

I agree...don't get this :confused: In all honestly I don't use a travel agent. BUT I don't get kick backs from the car salesman or mortgage company, I get a service...That's ALL!

I am also not trying to be being a smarty...I truly do not get the expectation of a freebie and then if it isn't delivered you will go elsewhere when the TA did their job and met all other requests?

Patty

If I had a TA that never gave me some kind of perk for booking a cruise with them, I would book directly with RC then. Wouldn't it be easier to deal with RC directly rather than having to use a TA who doesn't compensate you.

OP - I would call your TA and ask them about your previous perks and see if the cruiseline made a mistake. If it was a mistake, the TA should be compensated for the gifts that they paid to go to you that didn't. Perhaps they will compensate you more on your next cruise.