P&O - Customer Services

lynn2002

Don't worry about the school. Just get a friend or relative to ring on the Friday morning and say your daughter isn't well. Then send a note when she returns after half term to say she had a stomach bug or similar.

They cannot prove otherwise. I used to work in education so I know.

So do you not think that the girl will be excited and tell her friends all about missing school next day and they in turn will be more than ready to blab the truth to the teacher? This is exactly what happened to someone I knew and the absence was still unauthorised. It caused my friend a great deal of embarrassment. If a child sees a parent finds it acceptable to tell lies, then the next time they're in trouble with mum / dad, it would be very easy for them to let the lies will just roll of their tongue.

However to return to the predicament the OP finds herself in, I have nothing but sympathy and whilst I accept that changes to itinerary are allowed within Ts&Cs, I agree that this is a major change as it was specifically booked to coincide with half-term and I do think the OP should continue to pursue her case with P&O.

Well I hope it is a very well informed one.

Absolutely, besides it's more the money grabbing councils and that destroyer of education Gove!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by MattyBarlow

Have been thinking about the OP's problem and missing a school day.

HTs are allowed to agree Leave of Absence in school time for exceptional circumstances.

If you can show evidence that when you booked your holiday your daughter wouldn't have missed a day, but due to the cruise change she has to, they may be able to class this as an exceptional circumstance.

No need to lie - just see what they say.

It is NOT classed as an exceptional circumstance I'm afraid. The Head Teacher now has to notify the Education Welfare Office with the circumstance and ANY holiday leave (except for "religious or cultural" reasons) is against the law, even for one day.

The only way to "beat the system" (and not that I condone such action) is to remove the child from the school and re register them when you return. If the school is a poor school then you will be able to do this, if your school is a good (over subscribed school) you're stuck!

Just to note my 11 yo completed her SATS in May. The teacher at parents evening suggested that we take her on holiday during this present term in school time and this was the way around the system.

If there was no place available when she returned she could have an extra long school holiday as they wouldn't be doing much other than sport, watching DVD's and rehearsing for a school show.

Remember Every Day Counts Kids! :rolleyes:

Is it time to get away from petty-squabbling about throwing sickies & telling lies, and go back to the purpose of this thread? :rolleyes:

First of all you need to ignore P&O's terms & conditions.

Why?

Because they cannot contract-out of their legal obligations.

There are countless terms in all contracts that are unenforceable for that reason. Suppliers put them in to dissuade dissatisfied customers, and tend to stick to that line unless/until they know they've been rumbled so don't expect them to cave-in without being given good cause. Knowing your rights, and them knowing that you know, makes all the difference.

The Package Travel Regulations 1992 (Reg 12) allow a customer to receive a full refund if the supplier makes a significant change in the arrangements.

But unfortunately the Regs don't even give a hint of what constitutes a "significant change".

Obviously a change of destination from the fjords to the Canaries is a significant change, a switch of departure airport from Gatwick to Heathrow probably isn't.

Done my best on the 'net to find out if bringing the departure forward by 24 hours is a "significant change" but went round in circles for 20 minutes.

I'm sure this isn't the first time it's been put to the test, so the answer is probably out there. Those affected might find it worth spending more than 20 minutes surfing the net.

The right to compensation, rather than cancellation, for this change? That's another legal argument.

Good hunting

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

It is NOT classed as an exceptional circumstance I'm afraid. The Head Teacher now has to notify the Education Welfare Office with the circumstance and ANY holiday leave (except for "religious or cultural" reasons) is against the law, even for one day.

The only way to "beat the system" (and not that I condone such action) is to remove the child from the school and re register them when you return. If the school is a poor school then you will be able to do this, if your school is a good (over subscribed school) you're stuck!

Just to note my 11 yo completed her SATS in May. The teacher at parents evening suggested that we take her on holiday during this present term in school time and this was the way around the system.

If there was no place available when she returned she could have an extra long school holiday as they wouldn't be doing much other than sport, watching DVD's and rehearsing for a school show.

Remember Every Day Counts Kids! :rolleyes:

I thought it was still at the discretion of the HT / Governors what counts as an exceptional circumstance. I would still say that a chat with the school HT would be a good idea - nothing ventured.....

Re taking your child off roll - I'd say that is far more to do with the school not wanting their attendance to be affected by anyone on holiday. If your child is not enrolled in a school for a period of time then that is most definitely against the law - even if it is Y6 in the final term before moving to KS3

Re the HT notifying the EWO - I don't think that that is policy in every school and every Local Authority.

Absolutely, besides it's more that destroyer of education Gove!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi MattyBarlow - now that post is more like it. Have a good weekend and happy cruising. :)