dress code on cruise in Alaska

jbinbi

While this thread might be better in the Princess section, very little activity there and I need an answer now...

Leaving tomorrow for a week of touring, then a week of cruise from ak to van on princess.

Very limited to luggage, 1 carry on each, i won't check bags, and pretty much filled up with poly shirts, jackets, layers, hiking boots etc.

There are 2 formal nites. What can I get away with wearing? Is a shirt and tie and dockers ok. Carrying a suit and dress shoes takes up more room than I can spare.

This is better asked on the Princess board, as it is Princess policy and procedure. Like most cruise lines, Princess's dress code is fleetwide, not different in Alaska. And I am sure the Princess board is busier than the Alaska board.

It sounds like you have painted yourself into a corner- by refusing to check bags- and are now looking for us to approve your rescue plan...:confused:

Before you think I am pro-formal night, or anything like that, you should know we are about to leave for two weeks in Italy (land tour) with only carry ons. But dress code isn't an issue on this trip, so we aren't really missing any clothes.

Edited by CruiserBruce

This is better asked on the Princess board, as it is Princess policy and procedure. And I am sure the Princess board is busier than the Alaska board.

It sounds like you have painted yourself into a corner- no checked bags- and are now looking for us to approve your rescue...:confused:

No, I am just looking for what other people who have cruised on princess to alaska have observed. I have cruised before, but most carribean cruises don't have a week of 'touring' before or after, so I am thinking alaska might be different. But maybe not.

It IS a reasonable question, and Princess IS more casual in Alaska. A shirt and tie and dockers will work for you on formal night.

It will "work" - they will let you in wearing that - but you will be in the minority. If it will make you feel uncomfortable to be underdressed, you might want to consider throwing in a sports coat as well. You need dress shoes either way, unless you plan to wear your hiking boots with your Dockers?

I'm bringing a shirt/tie/sport jacket as my formal night clothing, but only because it's also our 30th anniversary that evening… Otherwise I'd skip the jacket (and the tie if DW let me…) or just eat elsewhere that night. We're not terribly formal people :cool:

Jim

It will "work" - they will let you in wearing that - but you will be in the minority.

On my 3 Alaska cruises with Princess there have been far more people dressed like that than there are wearing tuxes. While I always wear a suit, I certainly didn't see any reason for anyone to be uncomfortable. Well, except the guy who kept his baseball hat on, but he wasn't :)

It will "work" - they will let you in wearing that - but you will be in the minority. If it will make you feel uncomfortable to be underdressed, you might want to consider throwing in a sports coat as well. You need dress shoes either way, unless you plan to wear your hiking boots with your Dockers?

I have black 'nice' sneakers that are clean. They double as my sneakers and can be used for this as well. Walking shoes are for tours.

Travelling these days in much different than 20 years ago. Bag fees, limits on bags, lost bags, time for check in etc. Having a single carry on wheelie and a backpack makes my travel much easier. Adding in a third piece of luggage makes doing things that I want to accomplish much more difficult. I remember walking from my hotel in rome to the train station, about 1/2 mi with this setup. A third bag would have made that impossible.

I am not saying this is the way everyone should travel, it is just what I like to do, but I do respect that I can't show up to dinner in t shirt, running shorts and flip flops.