charge a camcorder battery from a USB device?

BuckeyeMark

Am worried I'm going to run out of battery in Alaska. I have one of those external batteries for my phone and iPad. It holds a monster charge. Anybody know of a camcorder battery charger that works off of USB?

Ummm we have electricity up here. You can charge the batteries while you sleep.

Unless you are going to really rough it for a couple of weeks, you should be fine....

LOL! Well played! I'm thinking about what bringing a solar charger since I'll be out in the wilderness for sooo long!

Seriously, what I was thinking about is the day we get on a catamaran and go way up in the Tracy Arm fjord (shooting all the way), then head to Juneau and then do a whale watching excursion out of Juneau. All without being back on the boat...

Where am I charging my camcorder on the catamaran heading to Juneau? They got standard wall plugs on the boat? That's too much to hope for isn't it?

LOL! Well played! I'm thinking about what bringing a solar charger since I'll be out in the wilderness for sooo long!

Seriously, what I was thinking about is the day we get on a catamaran and go way up in the Tracy Arm fjord (shooting all the way), then head to Juneau and then do a whale watching excursion out of Juneau. All without being back on the boat...

Where am I charging my camcorder on the catamaran heading to Juneau? They got standard wall plugs on the boat? That's too much to hope for isn't it?

We've had success with the Anker brand for charging our cell phones. I tried to see if Amazon had anything specific for camcorders and all that came up was this item.

I'm sure something exists, though it might depend on your budget!

The ability to charge a camcorder from USB depends on the camera itself. Regardless of how the camera gets charged, have you considered one or more spare batteries?

As previously stated, you can charge batteries overnight (including that USB battery pack).

The ability to charge a camcorder from USB depends on the camera itself. Regardless of how the camera gets charged, have you considered one or more spare batteries?

As previously stated, you can charge batteries overnight (including that USB battery pack).

Ya, spare battery works well.

In addition...how old is your current battery? Most batteries older than 2 years are significantly on the downhill slide of their useful life.

This is true of cell phone batteries as well as those in a camcorder.

Consider NEW, OEM batteries to improve your situation.

LOL!

I have a more basic question if you are seriously planning to shoot continuously on the Tracy Arm trip and then the whale watching trip.

Who is ever going to watch all those 7 hours of video? I doubt that even you are going to watch your own video for 7 hours.

I hope that you are planning to do some serious editing.

BTW - I agree with the suggestion that you just get more batteries.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I have a more basic question if you are seriously planning to shoot continuously on the Tracy Arm trip and then the whale watching trip.

Who is ever going to watch all those 7 hours of video? I doubt that even you are going to watch your own video for 7 hours.

I hope that you are planning to do some serious editing.

BTW - I agree with the suggestion that you just get more batteries.

DON

You don't want to come over and watch seven hours of home movies?! What are friends for?! :p

No, we won't shoot seven hours straight. And yes, I'll bring a spare battery. But I don't want to run out of batteries, especially if there is some way to rig up my Anker cell phone/iPad charger to charge them back up. And I don't want to be shooting footage thinking "I better shut down, something better may come up later and I'll need the juice."

Ok I spent just a little bit more on mine, It's the Concept green portable charger and lantern

http://conceptgreen.com/our-products/portable-chargers

I can charge my Galaxy phone at least 5 times or my tablet once. I haven't tried the camcorder but I did charge my digital camera battery with no problem.

Edited by gator919

Ok I spent just a little bit more on mine, It's the Concept green portable charger and lantern

http://conceptgreen.com/our-products/portable-chargers

I can charge my Galaxy phone at least 5 times or my tablet once. I haven't tried the camcorder but I did charge my digital camera battery with no problem.

How do you charge a camera battery w/that?

The same way I would charge my phone, the charger has a USB port that you can plug any charging cable into.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Ah ... my problem is I don't have a camcorder battery charger that with a USB port or cable. All my camcorder stuff is 110v.

I have an Anker battery for my ipad and cell phone - it has two USB ports. Just don't have any way to connect that camcorder battery charger to it.

Will prolly get that "clip" from staples. Looks like it'll do the job.