Taxis from Barcelona - Epic

KeithJenner

We have caught a taxi from the port to Barcelona Airport three times now (twice on the Epic and once on the Spirit) and it has never been a problem until today.

This morning, there were four ships in port. We left the ship at about 8.50 and finally got in a taxi at about 10.15. The problem seemed to be that there were at least four cruise ships in port and there were just not enough taxis to go around. At one point there was a gap of nearly 10 minutes without a single taxi arriving.

Some tips for future travellers:

Check what other ships will be in port and make plans if there are a few.

Don't cut it fine with your flights. It wasn't a problem for us, as we had plenty of time for our flights and just ended up waiting at the airport for less time, but some people seemed to be getting very nervous.

There seemed to be two queues. The usual one ahead of you and slightly to the right as you leave the building, but also another one that required you to turn fully right out of the building and cross the road. If that second queue is in operation then I'd recommend using it. It seemed a much shorter queue and they were directing a lot of taxis there. We considered changing queues and wish we had.

If you have a late flight then stay on the ship as long as you can. The queues had shortened a lot by the time we left.

If you don't like queueing then get off early.

We will be doing an overnight in Barcelona at the end of our 2015 cruise for this reason. I don't know if it us still an option, but ncl had a shuttle to the airport for $25 pp back in 2008. That worked fine for us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good advice. Was Epic at Terminal A? I've often seen more at Terminal B due to how you have to go to B first then double back to A!

It was terminal A Craig, which I've always been at on arrival. I thought the taxis were directed by the port authorities/police so each terminal gets it's share. I really think it was just a case of not enough taxis today. The queue at B was very long too when we drove past.

We will be doing an overnight in Barcelona at the end of our 2015 cruise for this reason. I don't know if it us still an option, but ncl had a shuttle to the airport for $25 pp back in 2008. That worked fine for us.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm pretty sure the shuttle bus is more than that now, but it's still worth it if there aren't too many of you.

Personally, I hated it when we used it a couple of years ago. At least there is a queue for the taxis. When we used the shuttle bus it was just a scrum, and we didn't get on the first couple because we weren't forceful enough.

Staying on in Barcelona is a nice idea, but not always practical. I just go for a sensibly timed flight so delays like this don't matter.

I'm pretty sure the shuttle bus is more than that now, but it's still worth it if there aren't too many of you.

Personally, I hated it when we used it a couple of years ago. At least there is a queue for the taxis. When we used the shuttle bus it was just a scrum, and we didn't get on the first couple because we weren't forceful enough.

Staying on in Barcelona is a nice idea, but not always practical. I just go for a sensibly timed flight so delays like this don't matter.

Can you tell me what the earliest time you could walk off with your own luggage was?

Can you tell me what the earliest time you could walk off with your own luggage was?

According to the info given out it was 5.30

I have no idea whether that time was accurate. I was fast asleep at that time.

It was terminal A Craig, which I've always been at on arrival. I thought the taxis were directed by the port authorities/police so each terminal gets it's share. I really think it was just a case of not enough taxis today. The queue at B was very long too when we drove past.

Lord what a nightmare for you. I have flown from Barcelona a few times before and had no problems. I assume you were just unlucky. Always best to expect the worst.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Barcelona on the Epic on June 8 (embarked in Rome). Left the ship about 10 a.m. & their were about 100 people in line with luggage waiting for taxis. We took the shuttle bus to the Columbus Monument & easily caught a taxi from there to Sagrada Familia.

Good advice to plan ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Be aware that the taxis will not run until 7:00. We got off at 6:45 and despite hundreds of taxis available, we could not get in them until 7:00 :rolleyes::mad:. Best we could gather it was some union rule.