Island Princess Mini-Suite

sgutt86

So here's a question, how comfortable is the pull-out sofa in the mini-suite. 3 of us are traveling together on the Island Princess Alaska on Sep 3. And I'm just assuming the sofa is a bed... or do we get a dropped down bed? I expect the Mini-suite should be plenty of room for all 3 of us. :)

Lets say the sofa is 80" long (just a guess), the bed is only about 40" wide. Part of the sofa is a platform and part is a pull out bed. I can't tell you if they are comfy or not. Just surprised when I saw that it was not a typical sofa bed.

Mini%20sofa%20bed%202.jpg

So here's a question, how comfortable is the pull-out sofa in the mini-suite. 3 of us are traveling together on the Island Princess Alaska on Sep 3. And I'm just assuming the sofa is a bed... or do we get a dropped down bed? I expect the Mini-suite should be plenty of room for all 3 of us. :)

I didn't find it very comfortable on the Sapphire. My bigger problem with it though was it's short. I'm 5'10" and my feet well and dangled over the end.

If it's not a bother to climb a ladder I would say get the drop down bed because it is a real mattress. Not folded up with kinks. My dd has slept on both and used the egg crates on both and greatly preferred the drop down bed which we left dropped down the whole cruise. the problem with the sofa bed is it takes up too much space in the out position so getting to the balcony was a pain and there was nowhere to put her stuff.

With the dropped down bed we still had access to the sofa and table and could walk freely to the balcony without dodging furniture.

If we continue to book minis we will do this every time she is with us.

So I've seen in a few threads with people mentioning their dislike of uncovered balconies. I'm pretty sure our mini-suite has an uncovered balcony - should we be concerned? It might be a bit late availability wise for a cabin swap. The cruise is in Alaska, so it isn't like we are going to be sunbathing too much. But it could be rainy so a cover might be nice.

So are there any pros to uncovered or should I attempt at moving?

We are on Dolphin Deck D608 I believe, and I've heard Dolphin is a really good area and pretty quiet.

Thanks guys!

So I've seen in a few threads with people mentioning their dislike of uncovered balconies. I'm pretty sure our mini-suite has an uncovered balcony - should we be concerned? It might be a bit late availability wise for a cabin swap. The cruise is in Alaska, so it isn't like we are going to be sunbathing too much. But it could be rainy so a cover might be nice.

We are on Dolphin Deck D608 I believe, and I've heard Dolphin is a really good area and pretty quiet.

Thanks guys!

Uncovered don't really bother us, we are out on the balcony for hours rain or shine. :D

Check out this site....

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

Thanks guys!

Yes, your balcony is uncovered.

It seems the chief complaint concerning uncovered balconies, on any ship, is that people above can "see" you when you're out on your balcony. Wanting a haven from the sun and/or rain seem to be secondary issues.

We were on Coral, in about the same location, for our Panama cruise and didn't find the uncovered balcony to be an issue.

Quite frankly, we spend a very small part of our day sitting on the balcony and that has always been a very minor concern for us. Unless we have a third with us in the cabin, we like to get standard balcony cabin that offer partial cover (typically found on Caribe deck).

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

We were on the Island in April for the Panama Canal. We had D615. I have never had an uncovered balcony before. My main concern was the sun and the heat, We live in Hawaii and are always outside. I got 2 beach umbrellas from Walmart, turned my table over, and used bungee cords and duct tape to secure them. Instant shade, I have picture, but can't figure out how to post them.

Tim

Note that technically, that's not allowed due to the potential risk of the umbrellas being blown off. I'm sure they looked at your rig and decided to let it pass, but another crew might not.

We were on the Island in April for the Panama Canal. We had D615. I have never had an uncovered balcony before. My main concern was the sun and the heat, We live in Hawaii and are always outside. I got 2 beach umbrellas from Walmart, turned my table over, and used bungee cords and duct tape to secure them. Instant shade, I have picture, but can't figure out how to post them.

Tim